Old 17-02-2008, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default computer question

Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in
:

Vista has been out for a year now and I had waited 6 months
before buying a new computer with it. There were a lot of
software conversion problems and driver updatings but now
system works great and I prefer to XP pro on older computer
that I still use.

well, you bought it on new hardware, so presumably it has
enough ooomph to run the bloatware. i'm sure tyou wouldn't be
so charmed if you were trying to run it on your older
computer.
but still, what programs are you running on it & did they
also come on the new computer or are they programs you
purchased before you bought the Vista computer? does Vista run
games & if so, which ones?
my uses for a computer are graphics design (Windows sucks),
games (Windows is passable) & email/usenet (Linux is better).
in what way would a Vista "upgrade" help me, who detests
bloatware?

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 17-02-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
[...]

I understand you need 1/2 MB for Vista. I have one but am thinking of
adding more. I needed the MS Office upgrade, which I bought but am
sorry I did because free Open Office is just as good and also writes
pdf's. Did not even try my old copy of Adobe Acrobat as it was tough to
get on XP. Old printer had a new driver available and even new wireless
router connection bought along with computer, needed driver download. My
Kodak camera also had a free Vista program available from them.

Eudora for email with only problem of selecting more than 2 addresses at
one time. Brought over free Mailwasher. Firefox browser and Thunderbird
for ng's. Internet Explorer on new computer is a mess taking forever to
load and then visit sites. I don't use it.

No games or other software brought over.
Old 17-02-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Phisherman expounded:

I agree with not upgrading. However, if you buy a new PC, get Vista.

Not if it won't run the programs I've invested in already over the
years.

It has some improvements over XP, despite the bloat. It's search
capabilities are very good and makes XP search look lame.

Having capabilities that are rarely used are pretty useless to me.

New (inserted: Poorly written) software will always be a resource hog--memory and disk space is very
inexpensive. I used to program in assembler a long time ago, but that
language is seldom used anymore and there are few remaining
programmers with that skill or want to develop the skill. XP will be
around for a long time since there are slower machines that still are
useful.

Computers have reached the point where the general user doesn't have
much need for more 'speed'. Vista is nothing more than Micro$oft's
latest way to make money - that doesn't make it necessary.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 18-02-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

No one has answered by original question yet. The two suggestions, thank
you, were not the correct answer. I would like to make a short cut to turn
off a computer with vista rather than that little button at the far lower
right corner of the start menu. Anybody have a clue?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 18-02-2008, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
No one has answered by original question yet. The two suggestions, thank
you, were not the correct answer. I would like to make a short cut to
turn off a computer with vista rather than that little button at the far
lower right corner of the start menu. Anybody have a clue?

Click once (and only once) on an empty place on the desk top. Then, press
the F1 key. Let me know what happens. It might take a few seconds. While
you're waiting, put your hands behind your head as if you were about to be
arrested, to keep from pressing or clicking anything else because you're
impatient.

Old 18-02-2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Travis wrote:
symplastless wrote:
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to
the start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty
bitty button that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up
which
allow me to shut down the computer. Is there not a larger button
or
another way to shut down the computer. I am trying to teach a
client how to use her new computer. Thanks in advance.

I don't have what you describe on my Dell Vista box.

If it's a default Vista setup there should be a button with an arrow
to the lower _right_ not _left_

correct. she has some trouble. Can't I make a large icon on something to
shut down?

(I'm somewhat dyslexic myself--I have
to triple check on directions sometimes) of the menu that comes up
where "start" would be on an XP box that gets the options switch user,
lock, logoff, sleep, shut down.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 18-02-2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
No one has answered by original question yet. The two suggestions,
thank you, were not the correct answer. I would like to make a
short
cut to turn off a computer with vista rather than that little button
at the far lower right corner of the start menu. Anybody have a
clue?

Hold down the button on the front of the computer for five seconds.

If you don't like that one then go picket Microsoft and maybe they'll
write another method for you.

Old 18-02-2008, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

be on the way out.
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
enigma wrote:
[...]

Is your "G" key broke? IE: GB vs. MB.
Dave

Old 18-02-2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In prior versions of windows, have seen 2 versions of shortcuts on the
desktop for shutting down the PC. One is a simple shutdown command. The
other, an unconditional shutdown command. Both are linked to corresponding
batch files which make up the actual commands. Not sure about Vista.

Here's a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=+V...s=&safe=images

--
Dave
"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
No one has answered by original question yet. The two suggestions, thank
you, were not the correct answer. I would like to make a short cut to
turn off a computer with vista rather than that little button at the far
lower right corner of the start menu. Anybody have a clue?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 18-02-2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
[...]

Is your "G" key broke? *IE: GB vs. MB.
Dave- Hide quoted text -

You're right. I think I did point out earlier that I have dyslectic
fingers

Old 18-02-2008, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:28:03 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

No one has answered by original question yet. The two suggestions, thank
you, were not the correct answer. I would like to make a short cut to
turn
off a computer with vista rather than that little button at the far lower
right corner of the start menu. Anybody have a clue?

There is an on/off switch, button, toggle or otherwise on just about
every computer. To properly turn it off is to use the Start menu. The
quick way is to use the on/off button manually. On my Dell Inspiron
9400 there are two buttons, one for Media Direct, another for on/off
located just above the keyboard.

This is funny. The tree shmexpert loves to post his long list of tree
instructions for people to read. But, it's been 4 days since the shmexpert
posted this computer question, and he has yet to read the instructions
available to him for understanding Vista.

Read and puke. I fear this situation will get worse:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...onsbox1&sub=AR

Old 18-02-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Vista has a help section that would give pertinent information if you
looked there.

Basically, the system comes with the start button configured to put the
system in the sleep mode; if you want the button to do a complete
shutdown, you reconfigure it as the help section describes. I rather
prefer the sleep mode, as it saves what you were doing and facilitates
restarting. I only shut down the pc completely when I will not be using
it for a day or longer.

Old 18-02-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

This is funny. The tree shmexpert loves to post his long list of tree
instructions for people to read. But, it's been 4 days since the shmexpert
posted this computer question, and he has yet to read the instructions
available to him for understanding Vista.

Read and puke. I fear this situation will get worse:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...AR200802150290
1.html?hpid%3Dopinionsbox1&sub=AR

None are so blind as those who will not see.

JSB, thanks for the observation and the read.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 18-02-2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:
symplastless wrote:

No one has answered by original question yet. The two suggestions,
thank you, were not the correct answer. I would like to make a
short
cut to turn off a computer with vista rather than that little button
at the far lower right corner of the start menu. Anybody have a
clue?

Hold down the button on the front of the computer for five seconds.

That is an extremely bad suggestion. Vista is always doing something in
the background and not going through the proper shutdown procedure could
result in corrupt files and/or lost data.

This site:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/1...lick-shortcut/
has some information on creating a shortcut to shutdown Vista.
--
Bill R.

Remove nospam_ and x in e-mail address to reply by e-mail
Old 18-02-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:29:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...onsbox1&sub=AR

I didn't have to read the whole article because I've been saying
this
same thing for years now. You go into a theater waiting for the
show
to start and people are so dependant on constant stimulation they
are
either on their phones, playing on their phones, watching television
on their phones, typing on their phones, surfing the web on their
phones, or talking incessantly. There is virtually no down time,
yet,
there is not much production either. It's a vast wasteland of
business and motor movements which do not really require the skills
of
self entertainment. Mostly mindless blather provided to the XBox
land
of killing images and sexually inappropriate ideas.

When I was a kid, an only child, I'd play for hours and hours alone
with my Give A Show Projector, Barbie dolls with home made (by me)
houses or accessories. Now you go buy Barbie Hummers and houses.
played with tinker toys, erector sets, Etch a Sketch, and my
favorite
Flintstone Building Blocks.

When it snowed we'd be out in it from morning till night, frozen.
We'd build forts, and snowmen and run around in it, throw snowballs
at
everything, laugh and play. Mindless playing with actual fun.
Today
kids have so much stress being busy doing nothing they need
medications to keep their legs from moving at night! I know someone
who couldn't stand their son moving his leg from nervousness, so
they
finally got their ADD diagnosis and put him on Ritalin (sp?) and as
side effect he stopped growing. His teeth couldn't fit in his
stunted
mouth and he needed to wear this incredibly disgusting stretching
device. Still, he is only about a bear five foot and by now he is
about 14 or so? I left that friend in the dust for all sorts of
reasons, but mainly for being a lunatic.

The kid will likely have a growth spurt shortly--they discovered a
while back that one of the side effects of ADHD is that the teenage
growth spurt is delayed, regardless of whether the kid is medicated.
OTOH, Ritalin wouldn't be the right med for moving legs at night,
which is called "Restless Leg Syndrome" and which among others Ingmar
Bergman had (no cite--saw him say it to Dick Cavett in an
interview)--he was Swedish and this would have been the '60s or early
'70s and he apparently had had it for a long time, so I don't think
that one can blame it on anything unique to modern Amercan society.
In any case stimulants are not normally used for its treatment.

Oh, then there were very long days in summer when we'd ride our
bikes
which had foot brakes and no gears for hours and hours. Our parents
had to drag us inside when it got dark around nine thirty at night.
Those were the days when parents actually did things with kids.
We'd
go to the fireworks every Tuesday night at Coney Island and have a
Nathan's hot dog, go on the Bobsled ride and ride the horses around
the track at Steeplechase (long gone now).

So, I don't need an article to see how far down this country has
gone
and what is being produced in our sorely lacking elementary school
systems and the rates they pay teachers is so retched nobody of any
mind is taking a teaching position that fast any more. It used to
be
a great job. No more. Sad really.

Teaching has never been "a great job". Them as can, do; them as
can't, teach. And the pay in Connecticut is hardly "wretched". at an
average of 56K a year. Is New York that much lower?

None of this applies to those of you who are actively involved in
your
children's' lives. I applaud anyone who even has kids these days.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

[IMG] code is On

computer question K Barrett Orchids 5 09-12-2008 04:14 PM
OT question for computer-y people Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 43 18-04-2008 06:56 PM
computer question 2 symplastless Gardening 25 03-03-2008 03:55 AM
OT computer/newsgroup question Sacha United Kingdom 3 22-05-2006 09:03 PM
OT Computer question for the tech minded Andrew G Australia 12 01-12-2004 09:46 AM