Old 25-07-2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Whitefly and spider mite infestation

OK guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small green
babies that look like minute aphids. My friend, looking at them today, said
she believes they also have spider mites. Her eyesight is better than mine.
The NeemOil did almost nothing nor did the Seven dust or Malathion or
Bug-Be-Gone. I also sprayed the garden with 1 Tbs. Epsom Salt per gallon of
water and if anything, the failed peppers and infested tomatoes look worse
today. Any suggestions to save our crops this year? The squash are too far
gone with millions of white fly and borers. The squash crop will be removed
and burned tomorrow. It's impossible to get the sprays under all the many
thousands of leaves. Suggestions anyone... other than to torch the three
entire gardens.

Old 25-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Smile

Marie Dodge;806084 Ok guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small green
babies that look like minute aphids. My friend, looking at them today, said
she believes they also have spider mites. Her eyesight is better than mine.
The NeemOil did almost nothing nor did the Seven dust or Malathion or
Bug-Be-Gone. I also sprayed the garden with 1 Tbs. Epsom Salt per gallon of
water and if anything, the failed peppers and infested tomatoes look worse
today. Any suggestions to save our crops this year? The squash are too far
gone with millions of white fly and borers. The squash crop will be removed
and burned tomorrow. It's impossible to get the sprays under all the many
thousands of leaves. Suggestions anyone... other than to torch the three
entire gardens.

sounds lilke u tried almost everything and nothing helped u . one thing that
some of the old time gardeners used to use back when they didnt have
bug powders was good old fashioned flour that u use to make bread with.
try using white flour and see what happens. to what i understand the bugs
ingest the flour but arent able to digest it properly and therefore eventually
die off. good luck. cyaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 26-07-2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:34:05 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

[...]

Get a different hobby. If you used that many poisons and are still
infested with insects, you are not very good at gardening.

And that idiotic insult is supposed to be helpful? I've been gardening for
years and never had an infestation such as this.

Are you
actually planning on eating that food after you used this level of
toxins?

How do you suggest we rid the garden of this infestation? If you have no
sensible answers why do you bother to reply?

Old 26-07-2008, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:28:18 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

And that idiotic insult is supposed to be helpful? I've been gardening for
years and never had an infestation such as this.

Not idiotic at all. If you used three of the most toxic pesticides on
the market properly and you still have problems with major
infestations you are not a very good gardener. That's not an insult,
it seems to be factual based on what you told us here. If you are
such a great gardener don't you know the reason you are getting
infested with insects? An experienced gardener knows it is a problem
with the soil. Address it and you will have better results. However,
when people say they first went the toxic poison route, it tells me
that person is probably lazy and doesn't want to hear anything other
than what they want to hear.

Are you
actually planning on eating that food after you used this level of
toxins?

How do you suggest we rid the garden of this infestation? If you have no
sensible answers why do you bother to reply?

Because I'm basically sick of people and their abuse of poisons and
killing everything in sight. It's disgusting.

A merry dodge doesn't suggest anything to you?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 26-07-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

OK guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small green
babies that look like minute aphids.

I'll just address the whiteflies.

Where are you located?

About fifteen years ago, these tiny whiteflies showed up in southern
California for the first time. It was terrible. Nothing worked.
Entire trees were stripped.

Ten years later, only a very few plants still suffered, mostly
hibuscus. Today, even the hibuscus stays nearly clear, with no care.

Why?

Well, the local agricultural groups sought out whitefly parasites,
very tiny wasps, and released them. Maybe that helped. However, I
suspect that the local predators also adopted - there seemed far more
tiny spiderwebs for a while!

It's actually all quite fascinating.

When I have cared for infested hibiscus, all that ever worked was
squirting them with soapy water to chase the flies, remove the white
hairy nests and sticky eggs. Twice a week was about right.

J.

Old 26-07-2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Why don't you go to the nearest transport and just effing jump off the
earth before you do any more damage. You and the rest of your kind.

You chemicalheads make me want to puke.

Charlie

Just read an interesting (to me anyway) about chem ferts. Appears
that in 1980, a ton of chem fert/acre would yield 15 to 18 tons of
corn, in 1990 that was down to 5 to 10 tons/acre. So it turns out that
as long as there was organic material to be mined from the soil,
chem ferts looked good. Once the organics are gone, the magic
leaves as well. Not to mention the top soil, water quality, air
quality, biological diversity . . .

That was another interesting point. Apparently, ag scientists
are always creating new resistant plants because the critters
always find away around the plant's defenses (especialy when people
insist on planting thousands of acres of the same crop in the
same place, year after year, after year). Any who, ag scientists need to
trot out a new and improved version every seven years. Where do
these wonder genes come from? (TA DA) Biodiversity. The very thing that
we have lost 75% of in the last hundred years. In southern Mexico,
in a logged out forest, by accident, a cousin of the teosinte plant
was discovered. Which easily hybridizes with corn but is resistant to all
corn viruses. Corn is the number two-o grain crop in the world.
This previously unknown plant may allow us to go on eating. Or it could
have gone the way of many life forms in the tropic, destroyed before it
was even noticed. Some of these biomes are only a few acres.

So yeah. Chem ferts are killing the planet, GMOs don't out produce
natural plants, and in their rush to concentrate wealth, companies, like
Monsanto, are destroying bio-diversity.

Not that whacked out foresters don't do there bit by strip cutting
forests and replanting a monoculture of harvestable trees and call it
restoration (except without the diversity).

To waste, to destroy, our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the
land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result
in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we
ought by right to hand down to them amplified and developed.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Seventh State of the Union (1907-12-03)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 26-07-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

How do you suggest we rid the garden of this infestation? If you have no
sensible answers why do you bother to reply?

You wanna know what is sensible? Quit ****ing poisoning my planet!!!!

You are infesting my garden.... my garden being the earth, the only
home I have and the only home my grandchildren have and idiots like you
are ****ing it up.

Why don't you go to the nearest transport and just effing jump off the
earth before you do any more damage. You and the rest of your kind.

You chemicalheads make me want to puke.

Charlie

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." ~Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, 1962

The interesting thing about this sort of poster is that, not too many
years ago, it was the norm to douse with poisons. I, along with a
handful of others in this newsgroup have been lone soldiers of
organics. Now it seems organics are more the norm. It's truly so
nice to see in my own lifetime. I wish Rachel Carson were still
around to see that at least people are making efforts to stop
poisoning the earth. This is such good news.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but perhaps anyone who used
chemical pesticides or fertilizers was made to feel so unwelcome, they
just stopped posting. There would be no way to differentiate the two
cases at this point.

That would be counterproductive.

I've been on Usenet for longer than I like to imagine (uh, I think I
posted my first article on rec.arts.sf.written in about 198x), so I
have a pretty thick skin. But someone who comes to a group for the
first time, asking for help, and gets slammed too hard, is going have
a reaction along the lines of "What a bunch of supercilious
assholes!" Anyway, I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to losing my
temper, but really, someone who comes asking for advice can get it
with honey or with fire ants. Which do you think they're more likely
to accept?

Chris
Old 27-07-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 26, 3:48 pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

I think I have to agree with you, Chris. I started posting here about
1996.
I don't post too much anymore, but I do read it regularly with
interest.

We moved to this location in 1984 and there has been no pesticide used
in all that time. I decided when I started gardening he no
pesticides.
That is the first thing you need to do--be DETERMINED. None of this I
will use
"only a little" or "just this once" business. Once you use ANY you
have set
the whole process back to the start. This is a whole system of things
that
has to work: soil, microbes, beneficial insects, birds and who knows
what
else. I don't have a complete explanation because that would take a
long,
long time to tell. Read....But I do know that if you give in you will
start over again!
I just can testify that it does work. Make up your mind: NO
pesticides!!

That doesn't mean that I never get white flies or aphids, but it takes
another
resolve on your part: PATEINCE The "no poison way" takes a while to
get
established, whereas the pesticide way is tomorrow. It takes time for
the good
bugs to discover the aphids, for the hummers to discover them. I have
not
lost a plant in the time it takes for that to happen. Hand pick and
wait it out.

Work on improving your soil---Healthy plants are pest free plants.
Stressed
plants give off signals to insect predators "Here is a weak plant ,
Attack me"

Now about the white flies, if you have hollyhocks, or hibiscus (as
JXStern
mentions) or another member of the mallow family, they are great white
fly
attractors. When I see white flies on the hollyhocks, the hh are gone
for the
next year, and the flies are gone with them. I can plant hh for about
a year
and then they get the white fly infestation. On other plants there
usually are
bushtits or hummingbirds to take them out. Check your plants daily,
don't wait
until there are millions of insects, get them early on.

That enough rambling on
Emilie
NorCal

Old 27-07-2008, 08:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris wrote:

[...]

You made your point in the first five lines but you kept babbling
anyway.

Anyone who monitored this group would have an idea of the range of our
opinions presented. You are arguing for the dolt who thinks
his/her answer is in a jar and just drops by to find out which
bottle and where they can get the best price. If posters don't
even bother to learn about who they are asking questions of, why
would anyone worry if their self esteem gets a reality check? In
this particular case, the poster had already tried several toxic
substances and was looking for another. How dense does the poster
have have to be to ignore an up-welling of revulsion against their
actions?

Sorry that we aren't organized to your to your level of
expectations but we aren't a monolithic group. We give what we can
and people take what they can. It might be nice to be a conspiracy,
then we could get t-shirts and coffee mugs but, we aren't. Some of
us are "save the planet assholes". We can be rude, and lewd, and
crude and, we will rail against lazy s.o.b.s who can't even Google
before they start splashing biocides on our planet. You obviously
belong to another demographic. Sanctimonious or supercilious
asshole sounds more like a description of yourself.

http://www.ewg.org/node/16365
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 27-07-2008, 08:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jul 26, 3:48 pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

In this vein, it is also good to over crop and, let the critters
have their 10%.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 27-07-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 26, 8:00 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:48:13 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but perhaps anyone who used
chemical pesticides or fertilizers was made to feel so unwelcome, they
just stopped posting. There would be no way to differentiate the two
cases at this point.

Unless you've been here since '93 as I have, along with a bunch of
others who still post here. I've observed over the years the organic
or natural movement becoming more mainsteam. That's why it has
changed. If anyone would have been made to feel unwelcome it would
have been me and a handful who also shared my opinion on the use of
synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.

I have only been around here (rec.gardens) as I am sure you know. I am
however, aware of how things have changed since _Silent Spring_.

That would be counterproductive.

I've been on Usenet for longer than I like to imagine (uh, I think I
posted my first article on rec.arts.sf.written in about 198x), so I
have a pretty thick skin. But someone who comes to a group for the
first time, asking for help, and gets slammed too hard, is going have
a reaction along the lines of "What a bunch of supercilious
assholes!" Anyway, I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to losing my
temper, but really, someone who comes asking for advice can get it
with honey or with fire ants. Which do you think they're more likely
to accept?

Chris

Chris, this is the year 2008. If people are still irresponsibly using
pesticides incorrectly, not having labels to read first, knowing these
can cause all sorts of cancers and other pulmonary fatalities, then
they should not be allowed to garden any more. That sounds
ridiculous and it is ridiculous. People can't unring the bell. This
information has been around for far too long and every garden center,
including the box stores now have a hefty selection of pesticides and
fertilizers which are made of natural substances, not synthesized,
genetically engineered, catalyst dependent crap.

If this was ten years ago, I'd agree. It's all over television, in
mail boxes all over the Internet(s) as our president calls it. Shit,
the guy running our country still says nuke u lure.

Where did I say you were wrong? What I said was, the style of
response also counts. If you tell someone she's stupid and should not
be allowed to have a backyard garden, you're not going to get anywhere
at all. You can shrug and say the person's a dolt and you don't care
if they went off in a huff, but they went off angry and convinced that
anything you had to say was BS. That's what I meant by
counterproductive.

Chris
Old 27-07-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 27, 3:34 am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Chris wrote:
[...]

Then why respond?

Anyone who monitored this group would have an idea of the range of our
opinions presented. You are arguing for the dolt who thinks
his/her answer is in a jar and just drops by to find out which
bottle and where they can get the best price.

You have problems reading for comprehension, I see. Try going back to
my post again.

If posters don't
even bother to learn about who they are asking questions of, why
would anyone worry if their self esteem gets a reality check? In
this particular case, the poster had already tried several toxic
substances and was looking for another. How dense does the poster
have have to be to ignore an up-welling of revulsion against their
actions?

A person came to ask for advice. You tell that person she's stupid and
incapable of learning.

Sorry, that's inappropriate in my book.

Sorry that we aren't organized to your to your level of
expectations but we aren't a monolithic group. We give what we can
and people take what they can. It might be nice to be a conspiracy,
then we could get t-shirts and coffee mugs but, we aren't. Some of
us are "save the planet assholes". We can be rude, and lewd, and
crude and, we will rail against lazy s.o.b.s who can't even Google
before they start splashing biocides on our planet.

Um, this is pretty amusing, but your odd fantasies here have nothing
whatsoever to do with what I wrote. Maybe remember to take the pink
pill with food tomorrow morning.

You obviously
belong to another demographic. Sanctimonious or supercilious
asshole sounds more like a description of yourself.

I'm cut- cut to the quick.
Old 27-07-2008, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris wrote:

On Jul 27, 3:34 am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Chris wrote:
[...]

Whatever happened to your high ideals? Your sensitivity?
You come with a 'tude, a bad mouth, a straw-man, ad hominem
attacks, misrepresentations, and worst of all, no citations, no
verifiable information, not even personal experience. It seems all you
have is play-yard sarcasms.

Feel free to vent your stupidity. You are of no concern to me.
no useful knowledge.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 27-07-2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 27, 11:59 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:39:19 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:

Where did I say you were wrong? What I said was, the style of
response also counts. If you tell someone she's stupid and should not
be allowed to have a backyard garden, you're not going to get anywhere
at all. You can shrug and say the person's a dolt and you don't care
if they went off in a huff, but they went off angry and convinced that
anything you had to say was BS. That's what I meant by
counterproductive.

Chris

Those types will continue to ask and ask until someone agrees with
what they did. I don't care what she thinks. She knows, trust
me...she knows.

If you can tell that over Usenet, from a single post, you're a better
judge of character than I am :/

Chris
Old 28-07-2008, 09:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

On 25/07/08 06:34, Marie Dodge wrote:
OK guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small green
babies that look like minute aphids. My friend, looking at them today, said
she believes they also have spider mites. Her eyesight is better than
mine.
The NeemOil did almost nothing nor did the Seven dust or Malathion or
Bug-Be-Gone. I also sprayed the garden with 1 Tbs. Epsom Salt per gallon of
water and if anything, the failed peppers and infested tomatoes look worse
today. Any suggestions to save our crops this year? The squash are too far
gone with millions of white fly and borers. The squash crop will be removed
and burned tomorrow. It's impossible to get the sprays under all the many
thousands of leaves. Suggestions anyone... other than to torch the three
entire gardens.

I would suggest that you thoroughly wash the bugs off with a soapy water
spray and regularly continue doing that for the rest of the season.
You're crops may be significantly reduced this year, but I doubt if you
will loose the lot. It's what makes gardening so challenging!

Ed