Old 19-08-2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default NEEM anyone use this in garden

I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2 tbs
per gallon..many thanks

Old 19-08-2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 19, 10:24*am, "Jim C" wrote:
I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2 tbs
per gallon..many thanks

You should not be allowed to use pesticides.

"Any kind of bugs" is not a problem it is the natural state of
things.

If you had a specific plant injury and could describe the pest or the
damage then perhaps an application would be appropriate.

Old 19-08-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Jim C"
wrote:

I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2 tbs
per gallon..many thanks

beecrofter gave you some kindly good advice though it may have sounded
harsh. You shouldn't be killing things in the garden willynilly, as you're
also killing pollinators, ladybugs, and other beneficial insects by your
approach, probably even songbirds which eat insects of garden fruits
you've doused with poisons.

But to answer your question, neem has very little value as an insecticide;
under ideal circumstances for it to work at all it has only a slight
measurable effect. Meaning of all the bad things you've been doing to your
garden, a couple tablespoons of neem per gallon of drench was least
harmful because least effective.

On neem worship:
http://www.paghat.com/neemworship.html

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 22-08-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"beecrofter" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 10:24 am, "Jim C" wrote:
I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2
tbs
per gallon..many thanks

You should not be allowed to use pesticides.

"Any kind of bugs" is not a problem it is the natural state of

things.

Domestic gardens as grown by man are not the "natural state of things."

Old 22-08-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

198,898 messages posted by you?

Old 23-08-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 19, 10:24 am, "Jim C" wrote:
I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2 tbs
per gallon..many thanks

What "bugs" (not all insects are bugs!) do you have? Each
has specific control methods. Further, some shouldn't be
controlled at all, such as the assassin bugs I just found lurking
among the tomato blossoms.

Neem is overrated. Most of it comes mixed with insecticidal
soap, which is probably the effective ingredient.

Had a long ongoing battle with sciarid flies, aka root
maggots, absolute *******s who'd wait until a plant
was near its peak before killing it. Tried every bug killer
from pyrethrins to BtI. Nothing worked until I switched to
bottom watering. Problem solved, and it cost me nothing.
Cultural methods can sometimes be the best.
Old 23-08-2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"beecrofter" wrote in message
198,898 messages posted by you?

No, 250,907,074.

Old 23-08-2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
Neem is overrated. Most of it comes mixed with insecticidal
soap, which is probably the effective ingredient.

I'm gardening all my life and found almost all the organic pesticides
overrated. But then we have to ask ourselves, if they worked.... why would
anyone have developed the more toxic chemical pesticides? No one would have
bought them. Unfortunately, even they don't work well anymore as insects
and bugs gain natural tolerance and/or immunity to them.

Old 23-08-2008, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
, Father
Haskell wrote:

On Aug 19, 10:24 am, "Jim C" wrote:
I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2 tbs
per gallon..many thanks

What "bugs" (not all insects are bugs!)

If you wanna get all sciency about it, not even all bugs are true bugs.
But in vernacular speech "bugs" includes true bugs AND all other insects
that are primarily crawly, plus such things as sow "bugs" which aren't
even insects. Among New England fishermen even a lobster is a "bug."

-paggers
Old 23-08-2008, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

I've tried different pesticides, and they worked well, but only for a short
period of time. After four days or so the bugs returned, but the pesticide
instruction say not to apply more then once a week, and with some vegetables
you have to wait several days or more before you can harvest. Also, there
are some plants you can't use them on at all. I'm not opposed to using them
on occaison, but I don't want to use them as frequently as I needed to get
the bugs under control. Neem can be applied more frequently then most
chemical pesticides, can be applied to most plants, and you can harvest the
same day. I've found it effective in controlling cucumber beetles and flea
beetles, but I have to apply it every four days or so. Once the plants get
big enough, the bugs don't hurt them and I don't need to use it anymore.

You don't want to control any kind of bugs, you only want to control the
bugs that eat your plants. Most bugs are either beneficial or don't do any
harm. Only a few will harm your plants, and those are the ones you want to
kill with extreme prejudice. In my case, Neem either killed them or drove
them away.

And I'm pretty sure Neem won't work on bugs in the soil. I have something
that eats radishes and turnips in the first inch or two of dirt, and I'd
very much like to get rid of them because of the damage they do.

Old 23-08-2008, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 22, 8:37 pm, "Marie Dodge" wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

Neem is overrated. Most of it comes mixed with insecticidal
soap, which is probably the effective ingredient.

I'm gardening all my life and found almost all the organic pesticides
overrated. But then we have to ask ourselves, if they worked.... why would
anyone have developed the more toxic chemical pesticides?

Many were chemical nerve agents. Diluting and selling them
as pesticides was a good way to make a few extra dollars.

No one would have
bought them. Unfortunately, even they don't work well anymore as insects
and bugs gain natural tolerance and/or immunity to them.

That's why cultural remedies works so well. By watering
from the bottom up, as with a wick or subirrigation planter,
you don't waterlog the surface of the soil, which attracts
pests like sciarids. No sciarid has ever developed immunity
to dehydration.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Haskell View Post
[...]

hi, iv used neem for the last 3 years (im in the Uk-north) and i have had very little damage to my plants whereas before i was forever battleing against the bugs. neem oil will not harm bugs,they just dont like the taste of it. Im not saying its a miracle cure for all plants ailments but in my case iv found it very good. you have to use it regularly though and i use 'green' liquid soap bought seperately.Neem is certainly better than the toxic sprays etc that are on sale in garden centres all over the world.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"poppy44" wrote in message
news

hi, iv used neem for the last 3 years (im in the Uk-north) and i have
had very little damage to my plants whereas before i was forever
battleing against the bugs. neem oil will not harm bugs,they just dont
like the taste of it. Im not saying its a miracle cure for all plants
ailments but in my case iv found it very good. you have to use it
regularly though and i use 'green' liquid soap bought seperately.Neem
is certainly better than the toxic sprays etc that are on sale in
garden centres all over the world.

I tried Neem and found it totally worthless. The bugs and insects ignore it
even when I doubled the recommended amount to use. It doesn't discourage
feeding as advertised. Neem is a scam.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message

"poppy44" wrote in message
news

hi, iv used neem for the last 3 years (im in the Uk-north) and i have
had very little damage to my plants whereas before i was forever
battleing against the bugs. neem oil will not harm bugs,they just dont
like the taste of it. Im not saying its a miracle cure for all plants
ailments but in my case iv found it very good. you have to use it
regularly though and i use 'green' liquid soap bought seperately.Neem
is certainly better than the toxic sprays etc that are on sale in
garden centres all over the world.

I tried Neem and found it totally worthless. The bugs and insects ignore
it even when I doubled the recommended amount to use. It doesn't
discourage feeding as advertised. Neem is a scam.

What did you use it on? What bugs were you trying to control? What
concentration did you use it at? I found that Neem 1) repels cucumber
beetles and flea beetles for about four days. and 2) It actually stops the
spread of powdery mildew on squash - at least so far.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message
I tried Neem and found it totally worthless. The bugs and insects ignore
it even when I doubled the recommended amount to use. It doesn't
discourage feeding as advertised. Neem is a scam.

What did you use it on? What bugs were you trying to control? What
concentration did you use it at? I found that Neem 1) repels cucumber
beetles and flea beetles for about four days. and 2) It actually stops the
spread of powdery mildew on squash - at least so far.

I used it on tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, string beans, squash, cucumbers
and collards that were infested with 2-spot spider mites and silverwing
whitefly.