Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Palin and environment

Zootal wrote:

I vote to legalize it. Let the stupid and weak drug themselves to death. It
will clean up the gene pool. The quality and realibility of the drugs will
stabalize, and much of the crime associated with drugs will go away.

I don't care about the drug part, but the Woody Harrelsons and Simplest
person here, tout hemp for fabric and rope uses which to me is just a
disguise for the stronger drug containing versions. Hemp as a fiber
went out with invention of nylon and other man mades which are not only
far superior but in the long run more environmentally friendly because
they consume less resources along with being superior products.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in
:

Zootal wrote:

I vote to legalize it. Let the stupid and weak drug
themselves to death. It will clean up the gene pool. The
quality and realibility of the drugs will stabalize, and
much of the crime associated with drugs will go away.

I don't care about the drug part, but the Woody Harrelsons
and Simplest person here, tout hemp for fabric and rope
uses which to me is just a disguise for the stronger drug
containing versions. Hemp as a fiber went out with
invention of nylon and other man mades which are not only
far superior but in the long run more environmentally
friendly because
they consume less resources along with being superior
products.

obviously you know *nothing* about production of manmade
fibers, especially not versus hemp or linen.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 07-09-2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:

I vote to legalize it. Let the stupid and weak drug
themselves to death. It will clean up the gene pool. The
quality and realibility of the drugs will stabalize, and
much of the crime associated with drugs will go away.

I don't care about the drug part, but the Woody Harrelsons
and Simplest person here, tout hemp for fabric and rope
uses which to me is just a disguise for the stronger drug
containing versions. Hemp as a fiber went out with
invention of nylon and other man mades which are not only
far superior but in the long run more environmentally
friendly because
they consume less resources along with being superior
products.

obviously you know *nothing* about production of manmade
fibers, especially not versus hemp or linen.
lee

Ičve found a place for hemp shirts . Know of any others ?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...ooghydr-20&ind
ex=apparel&hvadid=1098781721&ref=pd_sl_62fedlv4vq_ b

Not anywhere near the quality espoused below. But for US $15 I got a
durable comfortable shirt.

Bill

PS Search Living Treasures Japan some time.

http://www.angoleiro.com/penn.cgi?i=3228

http://books.google.com/books?id=WpE...=PA165&dq=livi
ng+treasures+japan+hemp&source=web&ots=ZI7-yOPNAE&sig=UxvW6cBkG5ePe7Bk8FD
tBSco7Ks&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=res ult

http://maruione.jp/en/tanzaku-bookma...76.html?zenid=
68b720a4ccdc8fcc19a7eaec7736bb1f

http://www.amazon.com/Shibori-Invent...sist/dp/477002
3995/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1220795070&sr=11-1

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
Zootal wrote:

I vote to legalize it. Let the stupid and weak drug themselves to death.
It will clean up the gene pool. The quality and realibility of the drugs
will stabalize, and much of the crime associated with drugs will go away.

I don't care about the drug part, but the Woody Harrelsons and Simplest
person here, tout hemp for fabric and rope uses which to me is just a
disguise for the stronger drug containing versions. Hemp as a fiber went
out with invention of nylon and other man mades which are not only far
superior but in the long run more environmentally friendly because they
consume less resources along with being superior products.

Obviously you believe in the never ending forest. Keep cutting and they
will come back the way they were (not happening) Growing hemp could greatly
reduce impact on forest for pulp for paper.
The first flag was hemp.
Ben's Kite string was hemp.
Constitution was on hemp.
As far as tree ropes go I will stick with the ones (synthetic) but there is
no reason hemp could not be produced for paper.

Hemp for paper is a great old idea. And it is better than suicide which was
mentioned here as a solution for environmental issues.
http://www.votehemp.com/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Frank wrote:

Who cares? If they need to drill for oil on your front lawn, I say,
"Go for it."

Here in California, the coast is a tourist attraction. An oil
spill would reduce tourist dollars that our economy needs. What
would we get for the oil that would be pumped? The best guess is
3 to 4 cents price reduction/gallon in 10 years. The oil wouldn't
be earmarked for the US. consumption. It would go to traditional oil
markets for sale to the highest bidder and we would see little
benefit for the average citizen. Conservation and alternative
energy sources are what we need, not subsidies to petroleum
and nuclear energy producers.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

I am reminded of the adage we get what we deserve. Chinese philosophy
comes to mind.

We must have strong families so the communities can be strong. The
communities foster the states and the states foster the country. Of
course the individual make up the family so ......

Another end-of-time wacko. She sees no reason for conservation because
a despoiled planet will bring on the end-of-time prophecy
( The Rapture).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1vPYbRB7k Pt. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84m2...eature=related Pt. 2
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote in

news.net:

In article ,
enigma wrote:
obviously you know *nothing* about production of manmade
fibers, especially not versus hemp or linen.

Ičve found a place for hemp shirts . Know of any others ?

a couple:
http://everything.hemp.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=137

they have Ts for less than the Amozon link, but fewer colors.

http://www.rawganique.com/Menswear.htm

rather expensive, but they carry business attire as well, and
hemp is going to last long enough to be heirloom, so that
offsets the price. works better on menswear of course because
there aren't the changing of fashion involved so much

Not anywhere near the quality espoused below. But for US
$15 I got a
durable comfortable shirt.

if you can sew, or know someone that does:
http://www.hemptraders.com/index.php?cPath=21

oh, they sell clothes as well... i never noticed that before.

side note about the shibori... i've been experimenting with
shibori felting. it's pretty cool.
lee
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:
I vote to legalize it. Let the stupid and weak drug
themselves to death. It will clean up the gene pool. The
quality and realibility of the drugs will stabalize, and
much of the crime associated with drugs will go away.

I don't care about the drug part, but the Woody Harrelsons
and Simplest person here, tout hemp for fabric and rope
uses which to me is just a disguise for the stronger drug
containing versions. Hemp as a fiber went out with
invention of nylon and other man mades which are not only
far superior but in the long run more environmentally
friendly because
they consume less resources along with being superior
products.

obviously you know *nothing* about production of manmade
fibers, especially not versus hemp or linen.
lee

I spent 20 years in textile fibers R&D. How bout yourself?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:18:56 -0400, Frank
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Think you're both on hemp ;(

Nope, haven't had a drink or a drug in over 25 years.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

Perhaps amongst the large group of people that want the 53 trillion dollars
that the U.S. government owes for debt, social security, and so forth this
year. In denial, saving the escalating debt for their
children/grandchildren. Makes me wonder who is actually "high". Most
current U.S elected officials are a reflection of such a thought process. A
mirror, if you will. A usual tactic is to call the opposing view "high" to
avoid any responsibility of their notions/views. Another is sidelining as
distraction of the primary thought. Another is a political opponent who
says he/she will do this, that, and the other, even though such will not be
in a potential elected position to do such lofty things. Nothing new,
nothing changed. SSDD...
--
Dave

Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

. ..

Zootal wrote:

[...]

The "never-ending" theorem was taught (taught still?) as part of the
Louisiana Purchase train of thought in most public schools. Followed by "go
west, young man". And other fairy tales in such old Hollywood movie
fabrications as well. Another is Seward's Folly ala Alaska being something
equally for something to be tamed and domesticated. It ain't just the trees
either.
--
Dave

Mankind, homo sapiens, 3rd chimpanzee
or whatever you choose, is not separate
from nature. Stop living and thinking
that way.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Frank wrote:

Who cares? If they need to drill for oil on your front lawn, I say,
"Go for it."

Here in California, the coast is a tourist attraction. An oil
spill would reduce tourist dollars that our economy needs. What
would we get for the oil that would be pumped? The best guess is
3 to 4 cents price reduction/gallon in 10 years. The oil wouldn't
be earmarked for the US. consumption. It would go to traditional oil
markets for sale to the highest bidder and we would see little
benefit for the average citizen. Conservation and alternative
energy sources are what we need, not subsidies to petroleum
and nuclear energy producers.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

RFK jr made similar contentions as well regarding for drilling for offshore
oil in the future. U.S. makes 3% of the worldwide oil, yet uses well over
30% of that worldwide available oil. Its hard to believe that anything
drilled by U.S. oil companies will have any substantial impact on that.
Yet, people still keep biting on that political hook. SSDD...

Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in news:ka-
:

I spent 20 years in textile fibers R&D. How bout yourself?

seriously? and you still claim that manmade fibers are more
enviromentally sound?
tell me, how long does it take nylon to biodegrade? can it
easily be recycled into paper?

hemp & linen are both very strong fibers. cloth made from them
lasts many decades, but, should styles change or whatever,
they will easily be recyleable into pulp, or break down in
compost.
fiber hemp doesn't contain the THC that the "drug" marijuana
does. it can grow in marginal soil with no pesticide
intervention (unlike cotton). it's also useful for biodeisel
applications.
i have no particular interest in marijuana. i'm violently
allergic to the smoke. however, hemp would be a wonderful crop
to utilize sections of my farm that isn't suitable for other
cash crops. keeping it illeagal is doing a disservice to
farmers & the "but it looks like pot" line is just stupid.
lee

Yes,seriously.

Basically you have to look at the entire life cycle of the material from
cradle to grave and include environmental needs. I have not seen a
study on hemp but recall such a comparison of cotton versus polyester.
This was an old study which would need updating but overall superiority
of polyester was largely due to durability of clothing and much lower
energy consumption in drying apparel. Personally I used to prefer cotton
next to my skin but advances in finishing technology have changed that
preference to polyester. If it were not for government support, there
would be far less cotton on the market.

Most people think that natural fibers are more environmentally friendly
but if you farm, you know that a lot of energy goes into plowing,
planting, growing and harvesting. The natural materials are harder to
process as they contain debris like seeds and dirt that must be
separated. I was also familiar with acetate and rayon fibers from
cellulose, often cotton waste, but these were phased out by industry
largely due to difficult, messy processes requiring a lot of costly
pollution control.

Hemp probably has a niche in the market but I doubt it would ever be a
growing one.

Frank
Old 08-09-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

If drilling is so environmental than why such a problem in Pennsylvania?

http://bradfordera.com/articles/2008...f255346185.txt

http://timesobserver.com/page/conten....html?nav=5006

Environmental Drilling - oxymoron.

So what has she done for the environment, specifically please?