Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default NG is so quiet!

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

Short days on the north side of a hill. Rain expected thur. through Tue.
I've planted Brussel sprouts, cabbage, onion, and garlic. The leeks
still aren't as large as I would like them. Any advice on when to
harvest?

Yes, you can leave leeks in the beds covered with a nice thick blanket
of hay or straw. If you live in the south, I recommend alfalfa hay as
coastal bermuda has weed seeds. If you live up north on the east
coast, salt marsh hay. Just leave them in and al winter you'll have
fresh leeks.

Victoria

Thanks for the heads up. As luck would have it, I still have half a bale
of alfalfa:O)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:52:05 -0700, "Zoot" wrote:

He'll also fall from his current popularity very fast once the electors
who
thought he was a saviour realise that he's just human like the rest of us.
That's always the fate for the charismatic.

Maybe. But if they have a voting majority in the senate, it won't matter
what We, The People, think about him. And if he successfully places a few
far-left judges in the Supreme Court, we could impeach him the next day but
it will be many years before we recover from what he will do to this
country.

Don't get so hysterical. Obama will govern as a middle-of-the-roader,
slightly to the (meaningless term) Left. Same with his Supreme Court
appointments. Heaven spare us more Scalias and Thomases and,
worst of all, the wolves in sheep's clothing, Alito and Roberts.

What Obama will TRY to "do to this country"? It's going to be tough
to reverse 40 years of Republican vandalism; it wasn't just Bush
though his administration greatly accelerated the process of creating
the "unitary presidency" -- read: beginning of totalitarian state.

Work to restore the respect and admiration of the world for our
country, which used to be the shining City on the Hill, pre-Bush,
pre-torture, pre-war started on a pack of lies; pre-destruction of the
Bill of Rights, pre-outright criminal violation of laws.

Protect the environment from the depredations of unbridled
oil/gas/coal exploitation.

Appoint people to head the agencies that are supposed to
protect us, but which under the Bush "fox watching the henhouse"
appointments have robbed and raped and exploited our land.

Reinforce the separation of Church and State as mandated
by the Constitution.

Start bringing our troops home.

Divert billions from our hall monitor operation in Iraq to the repair
of our crumbling infrastructure such as roads, bridges, dams, etc.

Ditto to REAL education instead of the failed "No Child Left Behind"
which involves basically teaching to the test, rather than teaching
children to think and analyze along with learning subject matter.

Protect a woman's right to reproductive choice (No, it does NOT
mean "just" abortion. It also means teaching the young to avoid
STDs and unwanted pregnancies -- something which "Abstinence Only" has
notably failed to do. Did you know that under that Bush policy STDs
and unwanted pregnancies have INCREASED! Ignorance doesn't work.

Man's got a lot on his plate! But they say a journey of a thousand
miles starts with a single step.

Persephone

Old 01-11-2008, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Oh, as for gardening

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"Geopelia" wrote:

"Artful Dodger" wrote in message

I only had venizon once, and that was in New Zealand, at one of their
Maori "barbecues"
called a Hongi (sp?).
___________________

Hangi.

The hongi is a Maori greeting. They press noses to mingle the breath.

A hangi is cooked underground on hot stones, and covered for hours.

Most restaurants in New Zealand now offer venison from farmed deer.

Guess you know about Whale Rider?

http://www.amazon.com/Whale-Rider-Ke...B0000CABBW/ref
=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225488824&sr=8-1

Bill

Marvellous film! Anyone who doesn't know it should see it.
It helps to know something about Maori culture. Google it, there are plenty
of websites.

Or come on over and see for yourself. Summer is coming down here.

Geopelia

Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Artful Dodger" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 6:58 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/24/08 6:08 PM, in article
, "Frank"
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Plants are dead or dying from frost. As Gibbons said, "Time for the
meat course." I'm hunting.

Send some venison my way please.

A bout of achy knee and achy shoulder has kept me from doing my fall
clean
up. Never did re-do the iris bed or weed out more garlic chives. I will
go
cut the seed heads off and throw them on the "lawn".

Cheryl

My freezer's filling up and my adult sons have turned there nose up at
venison in the past but, now with current economy, their tastes are
changing.

The other day, I had a bowl of chestnut soup from my chestnuts and a
venison steak from doe contributor for lunch. Life could not be better.

I only had venizon once, and that was in New Zealand, at one of their
Maori "barbecues"
called a Hongi (sp?). They roast the meat in a pit. I didn't like the
taste at all, and am
wondering if venizon from different climates//zones/ hemispheres
would taste different.
Does it depend on
area, or or what they eat, or what?

Frank- Hide quoted text -

Hangi cooking is more steaming than roasting. Pork (especially wild pig) and
chicken are the usual meats.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

Nice list of talking points. You forgot to complain about no-bid contracts
to Haliburton.