Old 25-03-2009, 10:36 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default White House to Plant Organic Vegetable Garden

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:

In an interview in her office, Mrs. Obama said, "My hope is that
through children, they will begin to educate their families and that
will, in turn, begin to educate our communities."

I don't know about you, but I found that to be kind of creepy. I mean,
sure, organic gardens are the way to go, but the whole "child propaganda"
concept is a bit frightening, even if it is well intentioned.

Obviously it's been a long time since you saw the early episodes of Sesame
Street.

Sort of reminds me of those kindergarteners and their political singing,
something else which was rather creepy.

One man's 'political singing' is another man's 'hegemony'.

Old 25-03-2009, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"FarmI" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie wrote:

In an interview in her office, Mrs. Obama said, "My hope is that
through children, they will begin to educate their families and that
will, in turn, begin to educate our communities."

I don't know about you, but I found that to be kind of creepy. I mean,
sure, organic gardens are the way to go, but the whole "child propaganda"
concept is a bit frightening, even if it is well intentioned.

Obviously it's been a long time since you saw the early episodes of Sesame
Street.

Didn't watch the show as a child; I rode my bike around (unsupervised and
without a helmet!), played in the dirt (digging holes was a favorite
activity) hung out at the library listening to records or reading books,
skateboarded, went to the beach, played army with realistic looking toy
guns, you know, normal things kids are supposed to do when they are allowed
to be KIDS and not treated as commodities to be molded and controlled by the
party in power.

My point was that injecting social engineering by targeting the most
vulnerable, ie our children, is a very dangerous thing to do, for so very
many reasons. That this isn't readily apparent to everyone is even more
disturbing, but that is a sign of the times we live in today.

Jon

Old 25-03-2009, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

"FarmI" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie wrote:

[...]

You think gardening is propaganda? Gardening requires the use of
arithmetic to determine how many plants can be alloted to a given area
(geometry), or how much fish emulsion per quart or 5 gallons (algebra).
Gardening requires monitoring of plants and soil for moisture content,
crowding by weeds, and insect predation (observation, and biology).
Gardening involves, classification of soil composition (geology) as well
as pH (chemistry), classification of soil organisms and their
interactions with each other and the plants (ecology), classification of
beneficial, and harmful insects (biology), dealing with animals that may
damage a garden (cats, dogs, raccoons, gofers, jays, ect.: ecology and
zoology) classification of chemicals (e.g. K, P, and N) as nutrients
(chemistry, botany, physiology), why we eat certain plants (human
physiology, nutrition, health), how to prepare the plants for eating
(culture, nutrition, health), countering risks of working in full sun on
hot days (physiology and health), and the importance of exercise
(health).

Other than that, it is a complete waste of time.

Social engineering? You may want to check out B. F. Skinner's book,
"Walden Two", although it may set your "free will" conceits on edge.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

Old 25-03-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

I sure hope they can plant a garden better than they can manage the
government.
I for one can not understand why the Dems and others are constantly bashing
Bush. He was doing fairly well untill 2006 when the Dems took over congress
and then everything started going to hell in a hand basket.
The A Holes who caused all the problems where Barney Fag, Chris the crook
Dodd, Chuckie the forehead Schummer, Maxine Waters, and that fat guy from
Harlem. ALL DEMOCRATS!!! They're the ones who wanted to give home loans to
people who couldn't afford to make payments. Don't forget Fannie and
Freddie are the root causes of the problems along with greedy Wall Street
brokers who tried to take over the mortgages to make a fast buck and then
fell on their faces.
You folks who live in New York, Conneticut, Massachutes, and California
desevr this bunch because you keep voting them back in. WHEN ARE YOU ALL
GOING TO WISE UP??????
The Dems are masters at coverup saying it wasn't our fault it was Bush's
fault. In addition to all the above we should all be worried how the Dems
are going to handle our countries security. If we ever get hit again I fear
how they will handle it.
My 2 cents worth.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3962 (20090325) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 25-03-2009, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

March 23, 2009
Dodd's Wife a Former Director of Bermuda-Based IPC Holdings, an AIG
Controlled Company
By Kevin Rennie

No wonder Senator Christopher Dodd (D-Conn) went wobbly last week when asked
about his February amendment ratifying hundreds of millions of dollars in
bonuses to executives at insurance giant AIG. Dodd has been one of the
company's favorite recipients of campaign contributions. But it turns out
that Senator Dodd's wife has also benefited from past connections to AIG as
well.

From 2001-2004, Jackie Clegg Dodd served as an "outside" director of IPC
Holdings, Ltd., a Bermuda-based company controlled by AIG. IPC, which
provides property casualty catastrophe insurance coverage, was formed in
1993 and currently has a market cap of $1.4 billion and trades on the NASDAQ
under the ticker symbol IPCR. In 2001, in addition to a public offering of
15 million shares of stock that raised $380 million, IPC raised more than
$109 million through a simultaneous private placement sale of 5.6 million
shares of stock to AIG - giving AIG a 20% stake in IPC. (AIG sold its 13.397
million shares in IPC in August, 2006.)

Clegg was compensated for her duties to the company, which was managed by a
subsidiary of AIG. In 2003, according to a proxy statement, Clegg received
$12,000 per year and an additional $1,000 for each Directors' and committee
meeting she attended. Clegg served on the Audit and Investment committees
during her final year on the board.

IPC paid millions each year to other AIG-related companies for
administrative and other services. Clegg was a diligent director. In 2003,
the proxy statement report, she attended more than 75% of board and
committee meetings. This while she served as the managing partner of Clegg
International Consultants, LLC, which she created in 2001, the year she
joined the board of IPC. (See Dodd's public financial disclosure reports
with the Senate from 2001-2004 here.)

Dodd is likely more familiar with the complicated workings of AIG than he
was letting on last week. This week may provide him with another opportunity
to refresh his recollections.

Kevin Rennie, a former Republican state senator, is a columnist for the
Hartford Courant. He can be reached at .

Facebook | Email | Print | Comments

Related Topics: aig | dodd | jackie clegg |

Login | Register | RSS
Kevin Rennie
Author Archive Latest From this Author

Old 25-03-2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

"FarmI" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie wrote:

[...]

I'd add sociology as interaction with others is increased. Who wanted
a piece of that plant ? Wonder if I can get some of neighbors to weed
the pachysandra ? Win Win .

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 25-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

"FarmI" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie wrote:

In an interview in her office, Mrs. Obama said, "My hope is that
through children, they will begin to educate their families and that
will, in turn, begin to educate our communities."

I don't know about you, but I found that to be kind of creepy. I mean,
sure, organic gardens are the way to go, but the whole "child propaganda"
concept is a bit frightening, even if it is well intentioned.

Obviously it's been a long time since you saw the early episodes of Sesame
Street.

Didn't watch the show as a child; I rode my bike around (unsupervised and
without a helmet!),

That could explain a few things ;O)
played in the dirt (digging holes was a favorite
activity) hung out at the library listening to records or reading books,
skateboarded, went to the beach, played army with realistic looking toy
guns,

Yeah and my wife used to take the buses and trolly cars all over San
Francisco when she was 7 years old. A practice no longer condoned for
children. Times have changed, if you hadn't noticed.
you know, normal things kids are supposed to do when they are allowed
to be KIDS and

Here is where you make the big jump.
not treated as commodities to be molded and controlled by the
party in power.

If you be talkin' Kelloggs, General Mills, or Altria Group (formerly
Philip Morris Companies Inc.), hustling crap food to kids by making then
brand conscious by means of cartoons, I'd agree. Foods like

G-L
€ G.I. Joe Action Stars - Ralston (1985)
€ Ghostbusters Cereal - Ralston (1988)
€ Ghosterbusters II Cereal - Ralston (1989)
€ Go Lean Cereal (Crunch) - Kashi
€ Golden Crisp (formerly known as Sugar Crisp) - Post Cereals
(1949-Present)
€ Golden Grahams - General Mills
€ Golden Nuggets - United Kingdom - Nestlι
€ Golden Puffs - Malt-O-Meal
€ Good Friends Cereal (fiber cereal)
€ Gorilla Munch - Nature's Path
€ Granola - Kellogg's (1900s)
€ Granula - First manufactured Breakfast Cereal invented by James
Caleb Jackson in 1863.
€ Grape Nut Flakes - Post
€ Grape-Nuts - Post Cereals
€ Gremlins cereal - Ralston (1984)
€ Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs - Ralston (discontinued)
€ Golden Grahams - General Mills (1970s-Present)
€ Guardian Cinnamon with a hint of vanilla flavour - Canada -
Kellogg's
€ Guardian Original with a hint of maple flavour - Canada - Kellogg's
€ Halfsies - Quaker Oats (1980s)
€ Hidden Treasures - General Mills (1993-1994)
€ High School Musical Cereal - Kellogg's/Disney (2008)
€ Homer's Cinnamon Donut Cereal - Kellogg's (c.2001)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats (1989) - Present
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Bananas (2004-2005)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Peaches (2005-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Strawberries (2002-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Chocolate Clusters (2008-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Cinnamon Clusters (2006-Present)
€ Honey Bunches of Oats with Vanilla Clusters (2007-Present)
€ Honey Bunny
€ Honey Buzzers - Malt-O-Meal
€ Honeycomb - Post Cereals (1965-Present)
€ Honey Cups
€ Honey-ful Wheat - Mom's Best Naturals
€ Honey Graham Life - Quaker Oats (2004)-
€ Honey Graham Oh's - Quaker Oats
€ Honey Graham Squares - Malt-O-Meal
€ Honey Nut Cheerios - General Mills
€ Honey Nut Clusters - General Mills
€ Honey Nut Corn Flakes - Kellogg's - (1981-Present)
€ Honey Nut Shredded Wheat - Post
€ Honey Nut Toasty O's - Mom's Best Naturals
€ Honey & Oat Blenders - Malt-O-Meal
€ Honey Rice Krispies - Kellogg's - (1996-Present)
€ Hot Wheels - Ralston - (1990)
€ Hulk Cereal - Post (2003)
€ Hunny B's - Kellogg's/Disney (2002-2006)
€ Ice Cream Cones - (1987) (Limited edition availability in 2003)
€ Jurassic Park Crunch - General Mills (1997) [3]
€ Jets - General Mills (c. late-1950s to early-1970s)
€ Just Right - Kellogg's (1990-2007)
€ Kaboom! - General Mills (1969-Present: Limited Distribution)
€ Keebler Cookie Crunch Cereal - Kellogg's (2008)
€ King Vitaman - Quaker Oats (1970-Present)
€ Kix - General Mills (1937-Present)
€ Koko Krunch - Nestlι - (Asia)
€ Krispy Kritters 1960s - 1980s General Foods
€ Krumbles-Kellogg's (1913-1973 [approx])
€ Krunchios (1989 [approx])
€ Krusty-O's A fictional breakfast cereal, one of the many fictional
products featured in The Simpsons. This cereal was produced in limited
quantities and sold at 7-Eleven convenience stores as a promotional item
for The Simpsons Movie.
€ Kung Fu Panda Crunchers cereal - Kellogg's/DreamWorks (2008)
€ Life - Quaker (1960s-Present)
€ Low Fat Granola Cereal - Sunbelt
€ Lucky Charms - General Mills

to mention a few. Empty calories of starch and sugar until milk and
fruit are added. This is well documented brain washing and social
engineering of the worst sort. The junk food industry (see above and
others) spend at least $10 Billion/year on advertising
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn.../12/06/AR20051
20600671.html) to "mold and control" young minds, that believe what a
cartoon tiger tells them.

Most kids don't read or watch the news, so the kids who will be most
affected, will be the inner city D.C. kids who participated and their
immediate friends that they share their excitement with (if any). In the
"Heartland", the event will perhaps be a sixty second "current events"
item in school, and quickly forgotten.

I am no fan of Obama. He is just another politician in my book. He
wouldn't have gotten where he is now, if he weren't. He is simply
soooooo much better than "The Worst President Ever" who preceded him.
So where has the "party in power" treated children "as commodities
(usually a raw material or primary agricultural product that can be
bought and sold) to be molded and controlled"?

I hope your not just a whining apologist for "The Worst President Ever",
who has decided to forget that the last eight years of deregulation,
borrow and spend, turning America into an immoral police state, and
welfare for the rich (hogs in a trough), that has gotten us into the
freakin' hole that we are in now.

My point was that injecting social engineering by targeting the most
vulnerable, ie our children, is a very dangerous thing to do, for so very
many reasons. That this isn't readily apparent to everyone is even more
disturbing, but that is a sign of the times we live in today.

Jon

Today's phrase
L'ETAT, C'EST MOE: All the worlds' a stooge

Old 25-03-2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
My point was that injecting social engineering by targeting the most
vulnerable, ie our children, is a very dangerous thing to do, for so very
many reasons. That this isn't readily apparent to everyone is even more
disturbing, but that is a sign of the times we live in today.

You think gardening is propaganda?

No, but thank you for completely (deliberately?) mis-interpreting the point
I was trying to make in order to make yours.

Jon

Old 25-03-2009, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Didn't watch the show as a child; I rode my bike around (unsupervised and
without a helmet!),

That could explain a few things ;O)

You know, Billy, I am at a point in my life where I don't make any time for
people who use personal information I provide about myself to denigrate me,
regardless of how insignificant and light-hearted you may consider it to be.

Well, actually, I did make time to respond, so that part is not entirely
accurate.

Jon

Old 25-03-2009, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

I sure hope they can plant a garden better than they can manage the
government.

You mean like the federal budget surplus under Clinton for fiscal year
2000 that amounted to at least $230 billion?
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLI...inton.surplus/

I for one can not understand why the Dems and others are constantly bashing
Bush.

It's called theater.
He was doing fairly well untill 2006 when the Dems took over congress
and then everything started going to hell in a hand basket.

Yeah, if you don't count the secret regulatory meetings with the
"regulated" that had no consumer representative present? Or do you mean
the vanity wars that were so incompetently run, causing the deaths of
nearly a million Iraqis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORB_sur...War_casualties
or the squandering of $Billions of American tax payers money?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7444083.stm
or the Suicide Epidemic Among Veterans?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...tes/main349647
1.shtml
or maybe the world opprobrium at American air strikes on civilians?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...1/03/AR2006010
300524.html
or firing on unarmed crowds?
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1012/p99s01-duts.html
or using white phosphorus on civilian populations in contravention of
the Geneva Convention?
or using torture?
http://rawstory.com//printstory.php?story=13410

What, pray tell was going right? It wasn't the recovery of Hurricane
Katrina. It wasn't education or school lunch programs. It wasn't our
soldier's health and education benefits. And it most certainly wasn't
repairs to highways and bridges. The only ones to benefit under Bush
were the CEOs
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/business/29tax.html
The A Holes who caused all the problems where Barney Fag, Chris the crook
Dodd, Chuckie the forehead Schummer, Maxine Waters, and that fat guy from
Harlem. ALL DEMOCRATS!!! They're the ones who wanted to give home loans to
people who couldn't afford to make payments. Don't forget Fannie and
Freddie are the root causes of the problems along with greedy Wall Street
brokers who tried to take over the mortgages to make a fast buck and then
fell on their faces.

I hate to wake you from your pleasant dream but . . .
http://federalism.typepad.com/crime_...ge-w-bush-c.ht
ml
or if you want to hear it from the horse's, eh, mouth
voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6u_2MNwmos

"Freddie Mae -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- I see the heads who are
here; I want to thank you all for coming -- (laughter) -- have committed
to provide more money for lenders. They've committed to help meet the
shortage of capital available for minority home buyers.
[...]
Freddie Mac recently began 25 initiatives around the country to
dismantle barriers and create greater opportunities for homeownership.
One of the programs is designed to help deserving families who have bad
credit histories to qualify for homeownership loans.

More and more people own their homes in America today.* Two-thirds of
all Americans own their homes, yet we have a problem here in America
because few than half of the Hispanics and half the African Americans
own the home.* That's a homeownership gap.* It's a -- it's a gap that
we've got to work together to close for the good of our country, for the
sake of a more hopeful future.* We've got to work to knock down the
barriers that have created a homeownership gap.

I set an ambitious goal.* It's one that I believe we can achieve. It's a
clear goal, that by the end of this decade we'll increase the number of
minority homeowners by at least 5.5 million families. (Applause.)
Some may think that's a stretch.* I don't think it is.* I think it is
realistic.* I know we're going to have to work together to achieve it.*
But when we do our communities will be stronger and so will our
economy.* Achieving the goal is going to require some good policies out
of Washington.* And it's going to require a strong commitment from those
of you involved in the housing industry."

- George W. Bush

You folks who live in New York, Conneticut, Massachutes, and California
desevr this bunch because you keep voting them back in. WHEN ARE YOU ALL
GOING TO WISE UP??????

Hope you are looking into a mirror.
The Dems are masters at coverup saying it wasn't our fault it was Bush's
fault.

You believe in sock puppets?
In addition to all the above we should all be worried how the Dems
are going to handle our countries security. If we ever get hit again I fear
how they will handle it.

They couldn't do any worse. Taken the masking tape off your windows yet?

Do you ever use citations to lend your arguments the vague allure of
credibility?
My 2 cents worth.

After Bush, it is worth less than a penny.

If you weren't so abrasive, you'd be pathetic.

Well, now that I'm armed with all your b.s., I think I'll go plant some
potatoes :O)

Old 25-03-2009, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Why do you act surprised? This kind of behavior has been wide spread and
pervasive for generations in both parties.

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

March 23, 2009
Dodd's Wife a Former Director of Bermuda-Based IPC Holdings, an AIG
Controlled Company
By Kevin Rennie

No wonder Senator Christopher Dodd (D-Conn) went wobbly last week when asked
about his February amendment ratifying hundreds of millions of dollars in
bonuses to executives at insurance giant AIG. Dodd has been one of the
company's favorite recipients of campaign contributions. But it turns out
that Senator Dodd's wife has also benefited from past connections to AIG as
well.

From 2001-2004, Jackie Clegg Dodd served as an "outside" director of IPC

database 3962 (20090325) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 25-03-2009, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

"FarmI" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie wrote:

[...]

Whoops. Definitely sociology and team work.

Old 25-03-2009, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:03:55 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I sure hope they can plant a garden better than they can manage the
government.
I for one can not understand why the Dems and others are constantly
bashing
Bush.

Trillions deficit maybe?

Obama's budget will quadruple the deficit.
http://blog.heritage.org/2009/03/24/...t-in-pictures/

He was doing fairly well untill 2006 when the Dems took over congress
and then everything started going to hell in a hand basket.

Really? How so? He went on vacation more than any other president in
history.

Obama is on a new talk show every night.

The A Holes who caused all the problems where Barney Fag, Chris the crook
Dodd, Chuckie the forehead Schummer, Maxine Waters, and that fat guy from
Harlem. ALL DEMOCRATS!!!

Barney Fag? I see.

They're the ones who wanted to give home loans to
people who couldn't afford to make payments. Don't forget Fannie and
Freddie are the root causes of the problems along with greedy Wall Street
brokers who tried to take over the mortgages to make a fast buck and then
fell on their faces.

And the president of two months is supposed to have, what, all this
fixed?

Well Obama wasn't supposed to increase earmarks like he has.

Ethically, Obama wasn't supposed to hire a bunch of tax cheats like he has.
Fiscally, he wasn't supposed to quadruple the debt like he has proposed.

To increase oversight, Obama wasn't supposed to allow legislation to be
rushed through, before anyone read it.

In Foreign Policy, he wasn't supposed to use the Eastern Europe missile
defense shield to barter with the Russians after he already said he was
going to remove it.

In Iraq, Obama was supposed to end the war in Iraq, not commit 50,000 troops
indefinitely.

In two months Obama hasn't fixed anything, but he has been able to screw up
a lot of things. I don't think we can survive four years.

Old 25-03-2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"The moderator" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
[...]

That's a shame. How's your garden goin'?

Old 25-03-2009, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"The moderator" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:03:55 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I sure hope they can plant a garden better than they can manage the
government.
I for one can not understand why the Dems and others are constantly
bashing
Bush.

Trillions deficit maybe?

Obama's budget will quadruple the deficit.
http://blog.heritage.org/2009/03/24/...cit-in-picture
s/

[...]

I just wanted to post to the moderator.

"Love it or leave it. " God I feel better sort of like the shoe is on
the other foot and the comfey has reduced the ingrown nail to a minor
irritation.

Sky is falling.

Bill

--