Old 23-08-2009, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Ivy

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

snippy

I know he read my reply to the OP and than has the unmitigated
chutzpah to regurgitate eggszactly what I suggested.

And I do live in the middle of a field, a rather large field, as do
most of my neighbors... we like it that way.

I've been attempting to obliterate the field by planting trees but
with such a large field its a losing battle...last week I planted two
chubby little Colorado blue spruce... what kind of dent will these
make: http://i25.tinypic.com/ziodn5.jpg

Right now it's pouring (or I'd be mowing), there's one lonely Canada
goose enjoying the deluge:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2ym87c4.jpg

Oh, what a lovely place to live Brooklyn. You could grow some lovely veggies
there. Wanna let on where it is?
Regards,

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 23-08-2009, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

I've been attempting to obliterate the field by planting trees
but with such a large field its a losing battle...last week I
planted two chubby little Colorado blue spruce... what kind of
dent will these make:
http://i25.tinypic.com/ziodn5.jpg

Nice garden shed!

Mike

Old 23-08-2009, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Billy wrote:

You folks haven't dealt with ivy before, have you? Nothing
short of
pulling it out by the roots will slow it down.

I have dealt with ivy, lots of ivy. Its no big deal. Chop it off,
pull up what you can, then strim, pluck, whatever what re grows.
It soon gives up.

Mike

Old 23-08-2009, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:15:40 +0100, "Colin" wrote:

What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing
all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller to
kill them that won't harm the trees.

Wait until a soaking rain and pull out the ivy by hand. I have a pair
of leather garden gloves for such occasions. You can also cut the ivy
vines near the ground. A different method for poison ivy, though.
Old 23-08-2009, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

[...]

It's in NY's Catskills. I do have a good sized veggie garden but with all
the rain and chilly weather this year it has been a very bad year, most
everything has drowned.

Old 23-08-2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:15:40 +0100, "Colin" wrote:

What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing
all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller
kill them that won't harm the trees.

Wait until a soaking rain and pull out the ivy by hand. I have a pair
of leather garden gloves for such occasions. You can also cut the ivy
vines near the ground. A different method for poison ivy, though.

We don't know what kind of ivy, the OP didn't say. But most ivy can be
lopped off and pulled out by it's roots. However if any part of the root
remains it's very likely it will grow back. Poison ivy hates salt, so a
handful of rocksalt on the roots will usually do it in permanently without
harming nearby trees.

Old 24-08-2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

brooklyn1 wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message
What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of
seriously overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property
and also growing all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like
some sort off weedkiller to kill them that won't harm the trees.

Have you talked to the owner?

I would.

Mike

DUH!

You'd be one of those rare but pitiful neighbors where it would be
best to proceed with eraticating their invasive growth without giving
a heads up.

Why do so many of your posts include personal attacks? Do you enjoy being
pointlessly nasty?

David

Old 24-08-2009, 09:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Colin wrote:
What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing
all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller to
kill them that won't harm the trees.

Why not just cut through the stems that go up the fruit trees? That is
the most simple solution. Severing to its roots will kill it. If the ivy
is on wild land it isn't doing much harm to anyone and is an evergreen
shelter for wildlife.

You won't easily kill it. The waxy coat one ivy seedlings allows them to
resist glyphosate pretty effectively.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-08-2009, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote ...
What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also
growing all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off
weedkiller to kill them that won't harm the trees.

Can't you just cut the plants off a few inches below the soil level, the
tops will then die and they don't come back from the roots.

You'd think.
We have a load of ivy that seems to be thriving without any connection to
the earth.

Old 24-08-2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-24 12:31:04 +0100, "R D S" said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote ...
What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also
growing all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off
weedkiller to kill them that won't harm the trees.

Can't you just cut the plants off a few inches below the soil level, the
tops will then die and they don't come back from the roots.

You'd think.
We have a load of ivy that seems to be thriving without any connection to
the earth.

Market it!! ;-)

Quite possible - it can root in any old medium it finds - eg. on roofs
etc.
Connection to the earth not essential.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered User

You can cut any part of the ivy growing in your side property line, but the application defoliant digging / pulling ivy best thing to do before your neighbors to discuss any eradication law and obtained their written consent first. In some
One jurisdiction may apply for monetary compensation on a regular basis vegetation cutting part of the neighbors, they on your side refused to cut or limit the vegetation.
Pond Supplies

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
killing off IVY Tangy Australia 12 05-11-2008 12:32 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM
Killing Ivy Pioden United Kingdom 4 09-06-2005 07:32 PM