Old 16-05-2013, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

You can catch and release but it has to be pretty far away or they come
back. And if it far away, well then they are in unfamiliar territory and
in
an area likely already occupied. So it may be less cruel to euthanize...
But if the damn things could just live in harmony with my me and leave
most
my tomatoes alone, then I would not have ill feelings for them. They are
not good neighbors!

I have many squirrels, and the worst that they have done is tip over
seedlings that have been set out to catch some sun. Maybe I'm just crazy
lucky. I'm curious though. Are there any oak trees around you, or other
trees that would provide nourishment for the squirrels?

Lots of trees around here. Though some streets don't have any, but in
general lots around. No oaks on the block but some mighty ones a few blocks
away.

I have a maple in the front yard about two stories high. There is a
squirrel that appears to own it and chases away any squirrels that
encroach... I had a problem with some getting into a section of my roof
last year, piece of soffit was missing I found out later and a couple
squirrels discovered it and thought it was a dandy place to move in to. The
exterminator said even if you cover up where they were getting in, they will
come back and do whatever they can to get back in. So his company
euthanizes any caught. Though he said they could also catch and release
down state about 30 miles. But after reading what happens to a squirrel
released into unfamiliar territory where squirrels already live, decided it
was more humane to euthanize.

Old 17-05-2013, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

[...]

Oh, little mysteries of life.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 17-05-2013, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Natural Girl" wrote in message
On 5/15/2013 8:21 PM, Gus wrote:
"Natural Girl" wrote in message

An aside ... some time ago a friend of mine went to open a sealed
package of microwave oatmeal for her breakfast. A petrified dead
mouse was in the package instead of oatmeal. The oatmeal company said
they'd give her a new box of oatmeal for her problem. She doesn't buy
packaged oatmeal anymore!

My mom used to get Mrs Grasse soup when I was young. One day I open the
box (it was dehydrated noodles with a flavor packet). I poured out the
box into a bowl and there was an empty locust shell... I never ate
that brand again.

yuk .. I don't blamer her.

Yet, on BBC Overnight, the other days was a story about using insects for
food. Many children die of malnutrition in this world we live in, but
insects provide a good source of protein and sustenance. The interviewee
suggested that it would be worthwhile to set up insect farms to raise
insects for food. Approximately 1/2 of children under 5 that die, die of
malnutrition related problems.

People eat some disgusting looking things such as lobsters, crawfish and
crabs-- why not insects? Is a lobster that much different than a giant
cockroach? Some societies eat insects. And don't chimps consider ants a
delicacy? Though I can't imagine eating an insect and find it completely
repulsive. Why is that?

I was thinking someone should come up with something to do with all the
cicadas. Migrant workers could travel around capturing the different broods
that appear in different years. You have to remove the shells and scratchy
parts, and ground them up. But we already do that with many meats. Hamburger
looks nothing like Betsy the cow (or the 100 different Betsys it may be
from.) You know, if the locust shell in the box I saw had been ground up, I
am pretty sure I never would have known the difference and ate the soup none
the worse for wear.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Yup. They will chew thru solid steel to get back in.
Ingrid

Watch out! Squirrels with angle grinders! The worst sort.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, May 3, 2013 5:25:56 AM UTC-7, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from tomatoes?

It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some tomatoes, but the

squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And actually taunt. Taking

a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then leaving it.

Go to your local Asian market and get some bright red (fresh) Thai chilies. Attach them to your plants with twist ties. One little nibble and they'll find some other thing to eat.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Yup. They will chew thru solid steel to get back in.
Ingrid

Watch out! Squirrels with angle grinders! The worst sort.

They are evil incarnate.