Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

On 5/3/2013 4:23 PM, Gus wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message

That is why you cram it about 2 feet down their holes!
Do squirrels have holes?

They are 'holes. Facade of cute bushy tails, but they are selfish
psychopathic *******s.

My husband calls them 'tree rats'!

--
Natural Girl

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/2013 6:23 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/3/13 12:15 PM, Frank wrote [in part]:

You need know laws where you live. Some places like here make trap and
release illegal but you can trap and kill the animal. I released a
squirrel right in front of a cop once but he said nothing.

It's not merely trap-and-release. The laws also vary regarding killing
squirrels. Gray squirrels are native to southern California and are
protected by law. Red squirrels, however, are an introduced species and
may be killed.

What do you kill if you're color blind? LOL

--
Natural Girl

Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/04/2013 12:30 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/3/2013 6:23 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/3/13 12:15 PM, Frank wrote [in part]:

You need know laws where you live. Some places like here make trap and
release illegal but you can trap and kill the animal. I released a
squirrel right in front of a cop once but he said nothing.

It's not merely trap-and-release. The laws also vary regarding killing
squirrels. Gray squirrels are native to southern California and are
protected by law. Red squirrels, however, are an introduced species and
may be killed.

What do you kill if you're color blind? LOL

Color blind? No problem. They are black and white. No
colors to worry about. All black, except a long wide white
stripe that runs from head to their tail. They are not
very fast and have cute bushy tails. All other animals
keep clear of them. They are attracted to leftover dog
and cat food. Sneak up on them with a bat. Ignore the odor.

:-)

-T

With friends like these ...
Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/4/2013 5:46 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

--
Natural Girl

Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Gus" wrote in message

Speaking of the tomato plants, I noticed 4-5 of them already have a flower
and they are only about 6 inches or less tall. Seems foolish to flower
when so small yet, but they seem healthy. I've only grown plants about 3
or 4 times and don't remember them flowering when so small.

Flowering when they are tiny is just what you want. In fact here in this
country a gardening guru says to stress them slightly whilst they are still
int he pot so they do flower and they tehn romp away when planted.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/04/2013 07:28 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/4/2013 5:46 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Had fun writing it. Part of me worried someone would take
me seriously, but I couldn't imagine -- there were too many
hints. And, it was way too corny to be taken seriously.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/4/2013 5:46 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

A few years ago I was visiting some friends out of state and we were
enjoying their patio in the early evening shortly after dark. We were
chatting when a skunk decided to take a walk across their back yard and
it didn't seem to have a care in the world! My friend said to not make
any sudden moves! LOL

--
Natural Girl

Old 05-05-2013, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Todd" wrote in message
On 05/04/2013 08:24 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
A few years ago I was visiting some friends out of state and we were
enjoying their patio in the early evening shortly after dark. We were
chatting when a skunk decided to take a walk across their back yard and
it didn't seem to have a care in the world! My friend said to not make
any sudden moves! LOL

Oh my!

Hopefully, this year I will not have: lions and tigers and bears...
Squirrels are bad enough.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/04/2013 10:27 PM, Gus wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 05/04/2013 08:24 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
A few years ago I was visiting some friends out of state and we were
enjoying their patio in the early evening shortly after dark. We were
chatting when a skunk decided to take a walk across their back yard and
it didn't seem to have a care in the world! My friend said to not make
any sudden moves! LOL

Oh my!

Hopefully, this year I will not have: lions and tigers and bears...
Squirrels are bad enough.

I would love to know what finally works

Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Todd" wrote in message
Oh my!

Hopefully, this year I will not have: lions and tigers and bears...
Squirrels are bad enough.

I would love to know what finally works

I did have some good luck with vinegar last year and will try that again
when the plants start to produce. Soaked some old socks every few days. No
one had mentioned vinegar, but accidently noticed on the bottle: "protect
garden from unwanted pests... soak rags every 7 to 10 days" on the back of
a Kroger bottle. I think it did work. I assume if it rains, soak the rags
more often. Not sure, but maybe the vinegar smells close to predator urine
to a squirrel, or just unpleasant?

Building a cage around the plants is probably the only sure fire thing to
do, but I went to do that at Home Depot last year and it started to get
kinda expensive to do it right. Last year, I did get quite a decent crop of
tomatoes; but the year before literally 2-3 puny tomatoes and then gave up
as the squirrels ruined all the rest. Ended up uprooting the plants...
Hopefully, vinegar will deter them this year at least so I get some fresh
tomatoes. Nothing better than fresh tomatoes. The ones in store here are
so bland, but garden ones full of flavor.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/13 4:17 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/3/13 10:01 AM, Gus wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message

I heard of spraying with a mixture of cayenne, animal repellant, and
urine. Of course, you will then have to wash the tomatoes thoroughly
before eating them.

I tried cayenne for a while and all it did was make the few tomatoes I got
before squirrels have a cayenne flavor. Didn't seem to faze the squirrels.

urine... hmmm.

The mixture was successfully used at a public garden where I am a
docent. The garden has two white mulberry trees (Morus alba) that
squirrel were killing by eating all the new shoots every spring. The
squirrels were also eating the bark off the branches. Apparently, there
is something in the shoots and bark that gives the squirrels a buzz
(squirrel marijuana?). The trees were often 2-3 months leafing out
because of the shoots being eaten.

This year, the trees leafed out on schedule in April. I was told that a
mixture of animal repellant, cayenne, and urine had been sprayed up into
the trees.

Oops! Yesterday, I discovered that no animal repellant was used. The
mixture consisted of cayenne, liquid dish soap, and urine. No, I don't
know whose urine was used.

Two gardeners were assigned to the task. One was at the top of a
ladder, doing the spraying. The other was on the ground, holding the
ladder.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/13 10:01 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

hmmm... I wonder if pure urine works best, or from a drug addict? Or maybe
from an asparagus aficionado.

Why soap? Were the tree rats swearing and uncouth?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Natural Girl" wrote in message

My husband calls them 'tree rats'!

After what happened two years ago, that is how I see them. One morning, I
opened my back door and there was a ripe tomato in front of the door, with
one bite out of it. I looked around and there was a squirrel looking at me.
Sitting on top the deck, smirking.

I live in the city and cannot shoot or trap tree rats. I would build a cage
but I'm not terribly good at building things. And to do it right, it was
more than I wanted to spend on supplies. After what happened two years ago,
I am willing to use biological or chemical warfare. I have tried cayenne
pepper and animal repellant from the vegetable stand, but it had no aeffect.
Vinegar soaked rags were somewhat successful last year, but I may need a two
or more pronged defense. Yond, this year the squirrels have look like
Cassius...

Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/13 10:01 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

Whenever I spray -- which is rarely -- I always pour some liquid soap
into my sprayer. It acts as a wetting agent so that the spray does not
bead and run off from waxy or fuzzy foliage.