Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

Gus wrote:
"Natural Girl" wrote in message
Someone sent me this this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/cgprqsp

ok .. I have to say that discussion is histerical!!!!!!!!

And she can't spell either.

yeah .. you got me. {{hangs head in shame}}

I thought you misspelled it on porpoise. ("histerical" since a
male-oriented discussion. Like some say "herstory" when talking
about women in "history".)

hahah Sometimes, my fingers do the spelling vs. my brain! It goes back to
my original typing class on that manual typewriter (a dinosaur now) in Jr
High school where we practiced certain letter combinations to gain speed. I
didn't type very fast back then, but when I hit the chat scene using
computer keyboards I jumped from 30wpm to about 70wpm and some of that was
typing in chat shorthand which had nothing to do with spelling correctly, so
I'm doubly disabled as a typist, now! {{smacks hands}}

I hit backspace or delete more than I care to admit! Sometimes, I hit send
before I see the errors. I'm bad.. I confess.. I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act. {kicks dirt}

--
Natural Girl

Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/10/2013 09:30 AM, Natural Girl wrote:
I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act.

No you don't. Then I'd have to improve mine too.
(I went to publik skool.)
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus wrote:
"Natural Girl" wrote in message
Someone sent me this this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/cgprqsp

ok .. I have to say that discussion is histerical!!!!!!!!

And she can't spell either.

yeah .. you got me. {{hangs head in shame}}

I thought you misspelled it on porpoise. ("histerical" since a
male-oriented discussion. Like some say "herstory" when talking
about women in "history".)

hahah Sometimes, my fingers do the spelling vs. my brain! It goes back
to my original typing class on that manual typewriter (a dinosaur now) in
Jr High school where we practiced certain letter combinations to gain
speed.

I had typing in HS on a manual. Kids have it so easy today. I hated typing
though I did learn QWERTY which apparently is not going away until voice
recognition gets perfected, but looks like kb's will be around for a while
still... I hated manual typing and getting to the last line of the page and
screwing up and the teacher saying I had to start all over on a new page.
And there was still carbon paper around then. The original cc: Kids don't
know how easy they have it! Or, what it was like walking 5 miles to
school, in below zero weather, in a foot of snow, and being chased by wolves
on the way.

We had locks at work where you had to push in buttons with both hands in a
certain sequence. I did them so many times, I didn't have to look at the
numbers. Occasionally someone new would ask the combination and I couldn't
tell them. I would have to get up and go to the door and let my fingers so
it and decode what my fingers did. They say the body has memory that the
conscious mind isn't always conscious of.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus said:

Are you suggesting leaving peanuts out, but away from the tomatoes? I
don't have a big yard, but could maybe put some at the other end. Or in
the front yard. How do you know if the squirrels have a peanut allergy.
(Actually, that might be a good thing!)

No, just suggesting that her experiment showed that wasabi is more effective
deterent than the commonly recommended hot pepper.

I didn't mess with chicken wire too much because to do it right was getting
kinda involved. I had read that cheap chicken wire with larger hole they
can still get through. Though I did have some lying around and I did
kinda
lay it around the plants. I think it did dissuade them a bit but not too
much. I didn't stake it thinking maybe if it was flimsy and gave way some
when they stepped on it maybe they would be skittish?

Yes, you need the wire netting with small (1") openings. But it's not so hard
to make panels by stapling the wire netting to wood strips. Then you can
put several panels together so that they stand up. Just untie them to get to
the tomatoes.

(I used to use chicken wire panels 8' tall and 4' wide to protect my block
plantings of sweet corn, before we put in the fence with the shock wire.)

I don't like wasabi, so afraid that would get into the tomatoes, but maybe I
can try spreading some around one of the plants and experiment. Maybe
in conjunction with the white vinegar.... What do you mean by mustard
oil? I like mustard so would try that. Spicy mustard??

Pure mustard oil is the hot, eye-watering agent in mustard seeds and other
pungeant cruciferous vegetables (like radishes, horseradish and wasabi).

I've some experience with it being used in Korean cuisine. A little goes a
long, long way when you are dining.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 11:46 AM, Gus wrote:
"Natural Girl" wrote in message
Someone sent me this this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/cgprqsp

ok .. I have to say that discussion is histerical!!!!!!!!

And she can't spell either.

yeah .. you got me. {{hangs head in shame}}

I thought you misspelled it on porpoise. ("histerical" since a
male-oriented discussion. Like some say "herstory" when talking about
women in "history".)

billy should know that a good woman don't spell, don't smell and don't
swell.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

Pure mustard oil is the hot, eye-watering agent in mustard seeds and other
pungeant cruciferous vegetables (like radishes, horseradish and wasabi).

I've some experience with it being used in Korean cuisine. A little goes
long, long way when you are dining.

Where does one procure it? If I ask at Kroger will they look at me askance?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gus wrote:
[...]

haha! chased by wolves? You had it worse than me, then! We didn't have
wolves chasing us. We had coyotes!

We had locks at work where you had to push in buttons with both hands in
a certain sequence. I did them so many times, I didn't have to look at
the numbers. Occasionally someone new would ask the combination and I
couldn't tell them. I would have to get up and go to the door and let
my fingers so it and decode what my fingers did. They say the body has
memory that the conscious mind isn't always conscious of.

Did you ever see the movie "The Apple Dumpling Gang"?

Does this bring back memories, "I'm-a teachin' my fanger to read!"

I always laughed at that line.
--
Natural Girl

Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/10/2013 09:30 AM, Natural Girl wrote:
I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act.

No you don't. Then I'd have to improve mine too.
(I went to publik skool.)

me too.. or is it to .. or two? I fergit.

--
Natural Girl

Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/10/2013 07:31 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/10/2013 09:30 AM, Natural Girl wrote:
I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act.

No you don't. Then I'd have to improve mine too.
(I went to publik skool.)

me too.. or is it to .. or two? I fergit.

I don't get it. Sentence seems perfectly fine two me.

:-)

-T

Friendship always trumps spelling.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/10/2013 09:30 AM, Natural Girl wrote:
I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act.

No you don't. Then I'd have to improve mine too.
(I went to publik skool.)

me too.. or is it to .. or two? I fergit.

I don't get it. Sentence seems perfectly fine two me.

:-)

-T

Friendship always trumps spelling.

goot! {looks up in dicktionery} no I meen, good!

--
Natural Girl

Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/10/2013 09:30 AM, Natural Girl wrote:
I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act.

No you don't. Then I'd have to improve mine too.
(I went to publik skool.)

me too.. or is it to .. or two? I fergit.

I don't get it. Sentence seems perfectly fine two me.

:-)

-T

Friendship always trumps spelling.

goot! {looks up in dicktionery} no I meen, good!

I am always typing "you" for "your", "lamp" for "lamb",
"lose" for "loose", "steel" for "steal", yada, yada.
Even when I know the difference, I still mess them up!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/10/2013 09:30 AM, Natural Girl wrote:
I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act.

No you don't. Then I'd have to improve mine too.
(I went to publik skool.)

me too.. or is it to .. or two? I fergit.

I don't get it. Sentence seems perfectly fine two me.

:-)

-T

Friendship always trumps spelling.

goot! {looks up in dicktionery} no I meen, good!

I am always typing "you" for "your", "lamp" for "lamb",
"lose" for "loose", "steel" for "steal", yada, yada.
Even when I know the difference, I still mess them up!

maybe I'm normal then? I mess up words like that all the time and hit
send and realize I just screwed up some words. I feel like Garfield ..
"I MEANT to do that!!"

--
Natural Girl

Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/10/2013 09:30 AM, Natural Girl wrote:
I need to join 'bad spellers
when typing' anonymous and improve my act.

No you don't. Then I'd have to improve mine too.
(I went to publik skool.)

me too.. or is it to .. or two? I fergit.

I don't get it. Sentence seems perfectly fine two me.

:-)

-T

Friendship always trumps spelling.

goot! {looks up in dicktionery} no I meen, good!

I am always typing "you" for "your", "lamp" for "lamb",
"lose" for "loose", "steel" for "steal", yada, yada.
Even when I know the difference, I still mess them up!

maybe I'm normal then? I mess up words like that all the time and hit
send and realize I just screwed up some words. I feel like Garfield ..
"I MEANT to do that!!"

Hi Natural,

Yes, we are normal. The rest of thems is the weird ones!

I think I see what I see until I hit send. Then I see them all.
Stinkin' typos. Mumble, mumble.

By the way, the more you write, especially in a safe forum like
this, the better you get. My wife had to teach me writing
when I got to college. And, I graduated A- with honors from
publik hi skool. When I hit college, it was like I had never
been to skool. (A- again from engineering school. This
time it was real. About killed me. My wife was the only reason
I got through it. I put myself through college.)

I think your problem may be the same as mine. I think faster
than I can type. I had typing in hi skool too. And, took
classical piano as a kid. I am still hell on keyboards!

-T

Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/10/2013 09:50 PM, Todd wrote:
I think I see what I see until I hit send. Then I see them all.
Stinkin' typos. Mumble, mumble.

And I still can spell "squirrel" without a spell checker.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Engineers are kool. Do you like driving trains? smile

--
Natural Girl