Old 04-06-2003, 11:20 PM
animaux

Default garden police gone wild?

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:31:59 GMT, "Vox Humana" wrote:

I guess Virginia creeper has some merit! I would need a wall of it about 20
feet high to mask my neighbor's legal but ugly yard. Because of the
difference in elevation between our houses I can see every square inch of
their yard. The meant well, but they clear cut their entire back yard which
is on a slope. Then they used Round Up on it and killed all the vegetation.
Now it is an eroding mess. The erosion undercut the last huge tree they had
and it fell, nearly hitting their house. The tree took out the tops of two
of my trees when it fell. I seriously thinking of putting in a bamboo
screen. Even if we were allowed to have privacy fences, there wouldn't be
one that would reasonably work.

I have the advantage of being on the down side of the slope. A 7 foot barrier
should take care of the (ahem) view. Our garden is so full and overflowing, a
bit of time will take care of anything unpleasant to my eye.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:32 PM
animaux

Yes, I agree. I expressed here what the two concerns were with regard to our
neighbor. The construction trailer which is always filled with junk like the
Beverly Hillbillies car, and the dead animals hanging from the hoop. Everything
else can be masked away. I don't think those two things, which are well within
the deed restrictions are too much to ask.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:46:33 -0400, Dave Fouchey wrote:

My next door neighbor did much the same. I planted Sweet Peas and
Morning Glories which have been the one bit of saving grace masking
much of the worst that he has done. I am of the do what ya want just
leave me alone school. So instead of hand wringing and bitching about
his yard rapine I planted a living screen. Simple, effective and low
maintenance.

When some one complains about the Violets in my lawn I smile and pick
a posie to put in a window vase, makes the wife smile. It is best to
cultivate a canvas back allowing the worst of the complaints to simply
roll off.

Dave

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:31:59 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"animaux" wrote in message
. ..
Which is what I did in the back. I have a length of common fence with the

igit
and I attached concrete reinforcement grid and have a nice Schizophragma
hydrangoides (sp?) and some ivy treebine, and Virginia creeper. In a year

or
so, I won't be able to see a thing.

I guess Virginia creeper has some merit! I would need a wall of it about 20
feet high to mask my neighbor's legal but ugly yard. Because of the
difference in elevation between our houses I can see every square inch of
their yard. The meant well, but they clear cut their entire back yard which
is on a slope. Then they used Round Up on it and killed all the vegetation.
Now it is an eroding mess. The erosion undercut the last huge tree they had
and it fell, nearly hitting their house. The tree took out the tops of two
of my trees when it fell. I seriously thinking of putting in a bamboo
screen. Even if we were allowed to have privacy fences, there wouldn't be
one that would reasonably work.

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern

Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 AM

which has nothing I could find on fences or the myriad of other "laws". I did find
the burning statute, was surprised they got it all spelled out what can and cant be
planted. of course, all this is moot cause my mother doesnt have a computer. and it
doesnt change the fact that my mother never moved into a "subdivision" with any HOA
rules, the city passed those HOA rules and extended them to each and every house in
the city. Ingrid

"Vox Humana" wrote:
If I understand correctly from your message, your are talking about
Brookfield, WI. If so, it took me about 15 seconds to find the entire
municipal code for that city on line.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 AM

it is zoned residential. not business.

"Vox Humana" wrote:
If you own the
rig it is OK to park it in your yard. If you have employees you can't park
it in the yard.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 05-06-2003, 12:44 AM

Oh yeah. we asked about exceptions due to how long my mothers been there, fact the
BITCH cant see anything without being on my mothers property and they told us there
was a $500 filing fee to apply for an exception and NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE CITY
had an appeal been won. Of course all the big buck developers got all kinds of
zoning easements to fill in the wetlands and build multifamily units, business parks
and everything else THEY wanted. plain old citizen is outta luck. Ingrid

"Vox Humana" wrote:
Your city doesn't have a board of zoning appeal?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 05-06-2003, 12:44 AM

I would love that to be true, but my mother isnt going to fight city hall on her
retirement income. Ingrid

zxcvbob wrote:
If that's true, it's called an "ex post facto" law and unenforcable because
it violates the US Constitution (Article 1 and I think Article 6).
Anything preexisting *must* be grandfathered.

Unless they wanna condemn the property using "imminent domain." [that
oughta start a ruckus]

Best regards,
Bob

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 05-06-2003, 12:56 AM
zxcvbob

Write to the state attorney general and let him (her?) fight it. Opinion
of the atty general trumps local law until *they* appeal the decision to
the courts. They won't appeal because they know they'll lose.

It probably won't work, but all it costs you is a stamp.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 05-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote:
If you own the
rig it is OK to park it in your yard. If you have employees you can't

park
it in the yard.

I'm just pointing out that it makes no sense to say a truck can be parked on
the lawn if your are self-employed but it can't be parked there if you are
an employee. This is especially troublesome since employees of companies
can park their commercial vehicles ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY if the trucks are
smaller than a semi. Of course we might just be arguing about some fiction.
You claimed that your mother didn't have to have a permit for a fence, but
in reality she did. This is probably the same situation.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Ann

expounded:

different towns, different rules. In moms "city" they had a public hearing about
changing the burning rules. For as long as we been there burning was allowed
tuesday, thursday and saturday weather permitting. Many of the older residents like
my mother have a lot of dead wood on their large 2+ acre lots. same with garden
refuse that is buggy. But some of the new people moving into the McMansions on 1/4
acre lots wanted to ban burning cause anybody burning leaves on their property is
going to have the smoke end up in somebodys house. Well those that went to the
hearing overwhelmingly were against any further ban on burning. The council passed
the burning ban ANYWAY and it took the concerted efforts of some very irate citizens
putting a lot of time and energy into a referendum recalling the damn ban. Which,
when it went to vote was overwhelmingly defeated. Sadly, none of the other
restrictive laws are required to be on referendums and since almost nobody knows
about them until they run afoul of the law, nobody cares. Just the control freaks
(or those with other agendas) with money and time to get elected sit around making up
more and more rules to satisfy themselves and limit everyone elses freedom.
Like I said. Each city should be allowed 100 laws, no more. want a new one, get rid
of one. And have mediation boards to handle disputes. Ingrid

I hear ya, Ingrid. I know things are different in different areas of
the country. I guess I'll just stay where I am (or go north, where
there are fewer people and fewer rules). I'm sorry your mother has
had such a bad time with the idiots around her.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 AM
zxcvbob

animaux wrote:
Yes, I agree. I expressed here what the two concerns were with regard to our
neighbor. The construction trailer which is always filled with junk like the
Beverly Hillbillies car, and the dead animals hanging from the hoop. Everything
else can be masked away. I don't think those two things, which are well within
the deed restrictions are too much to ask.

Random thoughts:

The Clampetts would be *welcome* living next door to me. They were good
people, and Jed in particular had a lot of good common sense.

Somehow I doubt that there is *really* a restriction or law against hanging
game from a basketball hoop. That sounds way too specific.

The story of the farmer mixing the HOA paint and painting his 60 y/o house
pink sounds an awful lot like "Operation Petticoat". But I can see my
father in law telling a whopper like that if he found himself living in a
pink house. He might even paint the house pink just so he could tell the
story. ;-)

Ingrid's mom's little fence sounds like it might be allowed under the code
that someone posted if it was under 3' tall. Wire mesh is over 50% open --
all you gotta do is call it a "decorative fence" and it is exempt from
requiring a permit because it's under the height limit. Depends on whether
they define "decorative". (I think that was the term used.) Maybe she
shoulda planted sweet peas on it.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 05-06-2003, 02:08 AM
paghat

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

animaux wrote:
Yes, I agree. I expressed here what the two concerns were with regard

to our
neighbor. The construction trailer which is always filled with junk

like the
Beverly Hillbillies car, and the dead animals hanging from the hoop.

Everything
else can be masked away. I don't think those two things, which are

well within
the deed restrictions are too much to ask.

Random thoughts:

The Clampetts would be *welcome* living next door to me. They were good
people, and Jed in particular had a lot of good common sense.

Plus happily enough Elie Mae it turns out was a dyke!

-paghat the ratgirl

[...]

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 05-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:11:41 -0700, (paghat)
wrote:

Plus happily enough Elie Mae it turns out was a dyke!

-paghat the ratgirl

Well now that would depend on ones perspective now wouldn't it? G

Though I do have a lot in common with Dykes. I too like women!

Cheers paghat!

Dave
Old 05-06-2003, 02:56 AM
animaux

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:49:09 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Random thoughts:

The Clampetts would be *welcome* living next door to me. They were good
people, and Jed in particular had a lot of good common sense.

I was talking about their car, not them. However, you do know they are only
characters, don't you?

Somehow I doubt that there is *really* a restriction or law against hanging
game from a basketball hoop. That sounds way too specific.

Deed restrictions say NO HOOPS at all. Several people have hoops. This
neighbor is the only one who hangs game from it.

The story of the farmer mixing the HOA paint and painting his 60 y/o house
pink sounds an awful lot like "Operation Petticoat". But I can see my
father in law telling a whopper like that if he found himself living in a
pink house. He might even paint the house pink just so he could tell the
story. ;-)

That's fine too, but like others I don't believe it happened.

Ingrid's mom's little fence sounds like it might be allowed under the code
that someone posted if it was under 3' tall. Wire mesh is over 50% open --
all you gotta do is call it a "decorative fence" and it is exempt from
requiring a permit because it's under the height limit. Depends on whether
they define "decorative". (I think that was the term used.) Maybe she
shoulda planted sweet peas on it.

Best regards,
Bob

Eh, I'm already "over" this discussion. It turned ugly when a few people found
the need to personalize it and to be truthful, it's boring at this point.