Old 17-06-2003, 04:56 AM
mm

Default Moles!!

Moles are digging everywhere in my garden and lawn. I have two small
dogs so must be careful with what I can use. Has anyone had luck with
stopping moles??
Old 17-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Trevise

"mm" wrote in message
om...
Moles are digging everywhere in my garden and lawn. I have two small
dogs so must be careful with what I can use. Has anyone had luck with
stopping moles??

I have the same problem. Dogs, too. From what I've seen, the traps are about
the best alternative. I just used the spreader to put down some stuff to
kill the grubs, and that should help a bit, but they go after the worms as
well - I've seen the mulch moving, and watched worms doing warp eight trying
to get out of the ground.

If you find a better solution, let me know...

Old 17-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Play4aBuck

mm wrote in message . ..
Moles are digging everywhere in my garden and lawn. I have two small
dogs so must be careful with what I can use. Has anyone had luck with
stopping moles??

I have tried the mole traps, mole poison, ground grub killer, but I've have
more success using the garden hose. When I seen a new path (runners) I pack
them down. As soon as I seen new activity in the area I force the garden
hose down in the channel and flood it for a while, then I might pull it out
and move it to the other end (a few feet away). Some times a mole will
surface which I beat over the head or just drown with the water in the face.
It's not a pretty site, but they can really F'up your yard and plants.

Cheers,
Jim

Old 17-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Ray

http://molecatchers.com/home.asp

I've tried for most of winter; bought this guy's video ~20 w/o
shipping and caught 4 in less than two weeks. It was the lateral
tunneling I didn't get.

Been good for nearly a month now. Had planned 900 sf for new grass.

Old 18-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

I think I have voles, but could be moles. I have dogs too. I accidentally
found a way that works while I was turning the compost pile. Warning:
delicate folks, cover your ears. I keep a pitchfork near the tunnels. When
I see a fresh tunnel, I align the pitchfork along the end of the tunnel and
shove it into the ground HARD. Keep walking/working along the tunnel. I've
only gotten one this way, but it sure is satisfying when it happens.

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of
its strength." Charles Spurgeon

om...

Old 18-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Trevise

"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
I think I have voles, but could be moles. I have dogs too. I

accidentally
found a way that works while I was turning the compost pile. Warning:
delicate folks, cover your ears. I keep a pitchfork near the tunnels.

When
I see a fresh tunnel, I align the pitchfork along the end of the tunnel

and
shove it into the ground HARD. Keep walking/working along the tunnel.

I've
only gotten one this way, but it sure is satisfying when it happens.

--
Wendy* in N. California,

I had one last year that just pis*ed me off royal. I saw him digging one day
as it started to rain. I got the garden hose, and shoved it down into the
tunnel, turned the water on full force. It took a while, but he emerged on
the other side of the fence. By this time, it was pouring down rain, wind,
lightning, all that good stuff - but I didn't care - the mole was going to
assume room temperature no matter what. I pulled the hose out of the hole,
and turned it on him when he came out of the ground. My girlfriend was
standing in the kitchen window, just shaking her head. When the little
******* about stopped moving, I dropped the hose, grabbed a tomato stake,
and ran around the other side of the fence. He was still kicking a bit,
but - right on cue - stroke of lightning, stake penetrates mole.
What satisfaction...lol

Old 19-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Nonya

Ahh, ahh, ahhh...good job igor!~

It's amazing how much frustration such a little pest can instill. I think
I'm going to try the castor oil trick, or set some mouse traps....or both.
I've got a few (I think) that are going crazy in the compost that I spread
this spring around my flowers. It would be better if you could at least SEE
the little *******s...it's like some kind of invisible force!

Good luck,

Old 19-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Trevise

"Nonya" wrote in message
Ahh, ahh, ahhh...good job igor!~

It's amazing how much frustration such a little pest can instill. I think
I'm going to try the castor oil trick, or set some mouse traps....or both.
I've got a few (I think) that are going crazy in the compost that I spread
this spring around my flowers. It would be better if you could at least

SEE
the little *******s...it's like some kind of invisible force!

Good luck,

True...they seem to be exceptionally bad this year in Ohio - lots of rain -
the grubs don't seem to be too bad, but the worms are right there near the
surface, and the little tunnel rats are having a picnic. Kinda like watching
a horror movie when you look into the flower beds and see the mulch
heaving...

Old 19-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Ray

I found a lot of info by search google. Many of the univeristies have
extention services that have more "technical" stuff on moles. I can't
remember the papers I've read but most say the castol oil thing
doesn't work. Really, I never tried it.

I've run my car with a garden hose in the tailpipe for many hours on
fresh "hills" with no avail. While they stay away from that tunnel,
smell?, for a while they'd come back in a week or so.

Besides the Victor traps, I seem to have gotten rid of a couple with
RCO poision. Pretty easy to use. No way to be sure that's what got rid
of the mole, but there are two places I've used it and there haven't
been any new hills for a couple three weeks. It seems to take a while
to work, though.

http://www.rcogopherbait.com/index.html

NO, I don't have any stock or anything. I JUST KNOW how frustrating it
is with these little guys. They sure have a nice pelt btw.

Old 19-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Bob

"Ray" wrote in message
m...

I've run my car with a garden hose in the tailpipe for many hours on
fresh "hills" with no avail. While they stay away from that tunnel,
smell?, for a while they'd come back in a week or so.

And the rate of successful suicides with car exhaust is way down. The
exhaust of new cars is just too clean.

Bob

Old 19-06-2003, 06:20 PM
paghat

In article wNlIa.73733$YZ2.244567@rwcrnsc53, "Bob"
wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
m...

I've run my car with a garden hose in the tailpipe for many hours on
fresh "hills" with no avail. While they stay away from that tunnel,
smell?, for a while they'd come back in a week or so.

And the rate of successful suicides with car exhaust is way down. The
exhaust of new cars is just too clean.

Bob

If anyone wants to sign over their new car to me before they commit
suicide, I will be happy to sign over my old car to them for the intended
purpose.

-helpful paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 19-06-2003, 11:08 PM
~consul

Ray wrote:
Besides the Victor traps, I seem to have gotten rid of a couple with RCO poision. Pretty easy to use. No way to be sure that's what got rid of the mole, but there are two places I've used it and there haven't been any new hills for a couple three weeks.

It seems to take a while to work, though.

How about the sticky type rat traps? They get so caught up, they die underground? Decompose?
--
.... if I could hold her with me once again ... I would tell her that I miss her ... I
still miss Kyla ...

Old 22-06-2003, 08:20 PM
tish

I do not pretend to be an expert in any way about this matter, but I
am fighting a mole in my front yard right now, as I type.
This is my 5th summer in this over an acre yard. The first year I
killed about 6 with the hose, using the same methode mentioned
earlier. My husband smashed one over the head with a shovel.
I have read different sights on the internet and found these facts.
Although there are many tunnels and holes coming out of the ground,
there is only one mole living there at a time. They are very
teritorial and even kill their young if they don't leave at an early
age. As soon as you kill one off, another will move in.

I have used the caster oil, vibrators, wind mills, chewing gum, soap
mixture and various other things but I can 't get rid of these crazy
animals.

My husband dislocated his thumb setting up the trap and there are so
many tunnels that I don't know where to begin setting them up.

Now, after that mole has moved out and no other mole has discovered
the path, you could break your ankle walking in my yard, because while
running the hose in the tunnels, it washed away the dirt. Now the
ground has sunk in those paths.
My new method, along with the hose, is using poison peanuts. I know
you can't do this with pets around but I haven't any pets except for
the deer that eat all my plants and flowers.
That's a whole nother show!!!!
Old 23-06-2003, 04:08 AM
news.verizon.net

I have a cat that will take care of the problem for you!
"tish" wrote in message
om...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM