Old 12-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Gloria Lenon

Default garden kneeler

Has anyone tried the kneeler for weeding beds? Does it help? I have a bad
back, fibromyalgia and a darned right arm that likes to hurt! Really, does
this help do the gardening?

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 13-08-2003, 05:02 AM
animaux

Well, I have fibromyalgia, a bad back, and arthritis in my hands, knees and hips
as well as chronic tendonitis. The knee things don't help! What does help is
moving around a lot. I also bought a few of those kneeling pads, the soft
spongy ones, but I found a few which were twice the size of the older versions
which were about 9 inches wide. I pile them on top of one another and kneel on
them.

Actually, the only thing that works is when I'm finished gardening, I take a
swim a hot tub and a nice cup of tea with a few darvons PRN!

Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
TOM KAN PA

Go to Harbor Freight Tools and get some of the pads that you strap on to your
knees.

Old 14-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

On 13 Aug 2003 12:04:59 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Go to Harbor Freight Tools and get some of the pads that you strap on to your
knees.

I believe the OP asked if anyone had tried a kneeler -- one of those
reversible thingies like

http://www.seemans.com/garden/kneeler.htm

and if it would reduce wear and tear on her back, not her knees. I've
never used one, but it looks as if it would definitely help with
getting up and down. And reverse to a seat for my favorite gardening
activity -- gazing fondly.
Old 14-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Allview

I believe the OP asked if anyone had tried a kneeler -- one of those
reversible thingies like

I try to do all the weeding by bending from the waist. My back doesn't mind
that. If I want to be on my knees, the garden kneeler is a godsend. It gives
my poor knees a pad and it makes it easy to get up. Otherwise I kind of flop
around trying to get my knees to lift me.

Marilyn in Ohio

Old 14-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Zemedelec

Yes!!! Wonderful little things.
zemedelec
Old 15-08-2003, 04:10 AM
vincent p. norris

I took an old piece of 2x6 lumber, cut it into four pieces about 15
inches long, and nailed them together to form a rectangle.

I sit on it, to weed, plant, etc. Because the base is about 6x15
inches, it doesn't dig into soft soil. And it was cheap!

You can make the "risers" longer or shorter, to suit you own physique.

vince norris
Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Owens

Gloria Lenon wrote:

Has anyone tried the kneeler for weeding beds? Does it help? I have a bad
back, fibromyalgia and a darned right arm that likes to hurt! Really, does
this help do the gardening?

For a while there, when I could still walk, I had trouble getting
up and down. My kneeler was INVALUABLE as an assistant in this
process. It was also a wonderful, lightweight moveable seat for
doing anything that I could get at by being 18" off the ground.
Personally, I found it less helpful as an actual kneeler because
the inconvenience of having to constantly reposition it as I
moved along was less than the value of the padding. For that, a
pair of shin guards -- the kind with hard plastic outside and
soft padding -- worked much better. The result of this, of
course, was that I'd use the kneeler to get down; then find
myself pretty far away when I wanted to get back up. My DH was
constantly having to bring it to me until I got really good at
working in circles.

Chris Owens

Old 15-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Lee

"Gloria Lenon" wrote in message om...
Has anyone tried the kneeler for weeding beds? Does it help? I have a bad
back, fibromyalgia and a darned right arm that likes to hurt! Really, does
this help do the gardening?

thought i'd like to have one but after seeing the price tag.... i'm
too stingy to buy one. i think that, as others have noted, that it is
hard to have to get off of it to move it every few feet or so. what
has helped me more than anything.. still have to move it frequently
however... is a new 5 gallon paint bucket with a lid. with its lid
side up i can sit comfortably on it, pick it up by its bail to move it
and use a large walking stick, like a shilali, to help me get up and
down. i think the kneeler would be good to help one get up and down
probably more than the shilali, as in my case my hands and wrists are
in not too great a condition.

i think what i need to do is to learn to use a long handled hoe or
scuffling tool to do a lot of the weeding or cultivating rather than
having to bend or sit or kneel.
lee
Old 16-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Warren

Lee wrote:

thought i'd like to have one but after seeing the price tag.... i'm
too stingy to buy one. i think that, as others have noted, that it is
hard to have to get off of it to move it every few feet or so. what
has helped me more than anything.. still have to move it frequently
however... is a new 5 gallon paint bucket with a lid. with its lid
side up i can sit comfortably on it, pick it up by its bail to move it
and use a large walking stick, like a shilali, to help me get up and
down. i think the kneeler would be good to help one get up and down
probably more than the shilali, as in my case my hands and wrists are
in not too great a condition.

You might be too stingy for this, too, but it beats a 5 gallon bucket:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/revi...denhopper.html

i think what i need to do is to learn to use a long handled hoe or
scuffling tool to do a lot of the weeding or cultivating rather than
having to bend or sit or kneel.

Amen.

Converting to raised beds can help, too.

I'd be so much of a better gardener if the ground wasn't all the way on
the ground.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 16-08-2003, 01:22 AM
NewsUser

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
"Gloria Lenon" wrote in message

om...
Has anyone tried the kneeler for weeding beds? Does it help? I have a

bad
back, fibromyalgia and a darned right arm that likes to hurt! Really,

does
this help do the gardening?

I've got a seat that turns over for kneeling. It's fine for sitting, but I
haven't tried kneeling on it. My lower back starts hurting when I'm in a
sitting position bending over to work so this isn't the best solution for
me. Also, one of my knees is awfully fussy and doesn't like to bend at all,
much less bear weight, so I've avoided using the overturned chair for
kneeling. But, I bought a pair of knee pads at Home Depot that are like
kneeling on a cloud! These things were made for construction work, not
gardening, and have a hard plastic side lined with some kind of foam that is
wonderfully soft yet supportive. I worked on my knees for several hours
without any pain!

Karen

Old 16-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Gloria Lenon

Thanks everyone for the replies! I did buy a garden kneeler (they were on
sale) and this is the one Paul James recommends. The way the legs are
formed are good for our soil (soil? did I say soil?, er, mean sand) down
here in Florida. Hoeing is not an option because of where the weeds are, so
hand-pulling is easier, on me!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 17-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Lee

"Warren" wrote in message .net...

You might be too stingy for this, too, but it beats a 5 gallon bucket:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/revi...denhopper.html

got one.... loved it... kept it for years, but it got too short... i
set down on it and can't get up! finally gave it to my daughter.

Converting to raised beds can help, too.

I'd be so much of a better gardener if the ground wasn't all the way on
the ground.

--
Warren H.

some of my beds are raised, but not enough! what was so funny this
morning ... i mixed up some ammendments about 6:30 this a.m. and used
the 5 gal bucket to sit on to dig this stuff in and went to sit down
on the bucket and hit it wrong and tumbled all over the place!!!
didn't hurt too bad.. don't think any one saw me.. if some one did,
they probably got a good laugh out of it and that is good... people
need something to laugh about i felt like a wallrus out of water
trying to get up..heheheh

i used a big claw with a long handle for part of it, and layed some
soaker hose in that particular bed after i got part of it cultivated.
few more days at rate i'm going will have this one bed ammended and
soakerd down!!

anyway, by 10:30 it was too hot to work any more so went in and had
breakfast.
will continue tomorrow or after 5 today.

we shall overcome!!!!
lee
Old 21-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Lee

"Mister Foldee" wrote in message news:zaw0b.150849$cF.55619@rwcrnsc53...
Its shillelagh - not shilali.

- Buckethead

thanks, buckethead.. i knew it was probably wrong when i wrote it but
i couldn't think of the other word that would have described it and
still can't!!! i am geting old and the part of my brain that spells
and remembers what i did this morning has ... now ..what were we
talking about???
........oh ! oh! ...cudgel!!!! cudgel!!!! that's was the word i was
looking for... but probably not spelled right either!! pleas let me
know if it isn't as it is not in my spell checker. thanks again,
love... lee...