Old 07-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Shell91

Default Garden Decorations

Recently I read on another bulletin board quite a lot of people were
derisive about people who put up gazing balls and other such decorations in
their gardens. Any thoughts on things like gazing balls or those copper
garden stakes with beads or glass balls on them in gardens? How about solar
powered gazing ball / light combinations or other lights in the garden?
Just wondering what the general feeling is about these things. I'm not
talking about plastic pink flamingos or plastic deer or even garden gnomes.
I do think some of this stuff looks good and some of the deer and gnomes are
cute.

I have put some copper garden stakes in my small garden and hung a solar
powered gazing ball light as well as put one of those solar powered path
lights in. Personally I think the path light is pretty neat since it has
settings for red, green, amber light and a setting for all three colors to
flash. And of course my pvc fence is there to keep the lawn guys from
mowing or weed whacking my plants.

Anyone else put stuff like this in their gardens?

Shell

Old 07-09-2003, 09:22 PM
~ Lori ~

Recently I read on another bulletin board quite a lot of people were
derisive about people who put up gazing balls and other such decorations in
their gardens. Any thoughts on things like gazing balls or those copper
garden stakes with beads or glass balls on them in gardens?

Eccch....I hate all that kinda stuff. Less is definitely more in the garden
"decor" department. And while we're at it.....one word for all you people
dressing geese and bears in seasonal or holiday coodinating "outfits":
Stop. I'm begging you.
Lori

Old 08-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Stu Redman

"Shell91" wrote in message
.. .
Recently I read on another bulletin board quite a lot of people were
derisive about people who put up gazing balls and other such decorations

in
their gardens. Any thoughts on things like gazing balls or those copper
garden stakes with beads or glass balls on them in gardens? How about

solar
powered gazing ball / light combinations or other lights in the garden?
Just wondering what the general feeling is about these things. I'm not
talking about plastic pink flamingos or plastic deer or even garden

gnomes.
I do think some of this stuff looks good and some of the deer and gnomes

are
cute.

Don't ask other people their opinions -- do what YOU like. After all, it's
your garden. You worked hard to create it, now you should enjoy it!

Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Shell91

"~ Lori ~" ljadkins@keep yer junkmail.comcast.net wrote in message
Recently I read on another bulletin board quite a lot of people were
derisive about people who put up gazing balls and other such decorations

in
their gardens. Any thoughts on things like gazing balls or those copper
garden stakes with beads or glass balls on them in gardens?

Eccch....I hate all that kinda stuff. Less is definitely more in the

garden
"decor" department. And while we're at it.....one word for all you

people
dressing geese and bears in seasonal or holiday coodinating "outfits":
Stop. I'm begging you.
Lori

Hmmm...I would have to agree with the geese and bears dressed up. But I
have seen some beautiful geardens with all sorts of things in them from huge
gazing balls and garden gnomes to planters made from old shoes.

Shell

Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Shell91

"Stu Redman" wrote in message
m...

"Shell91" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hi
I am doing what I like in my garden...well with some compromise with the
other occupants of the house who also have to live wioth it. I try to get
something everyone likes there. I was just wondering how other people
decorate (or not) their gardens, just for conversation

Shell

Shell

Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "~ Lori ~" ljadkins@keep
yer junkmail.comcast.net wrote:

Recently I read on another bulletin board quite a lot of people were
derisive about people who put up gazing balls and other such decorations in
their gardens. Any thoughts on things like gazing balls or those copper
garden stakes with beads or glass balls on them in gardens?

Eccch....I hate all that kinda stuff. Less is definitely more in the garden
"decor" department. And while we're at it.....one word for all you people
dressing geese and bears in seasonal or holiday coodinating "outfits":
Stop. I'm begging you.
Lori

Some of us do things like that just to annoy people : )

Jan
Old 08-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Shell91

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Shell91" contains these words:

Recently I read on another bulletin board quite a lot of people were
derisive about people who put up gazing balls and other such decorations

in
their gardens. Any thoughts on things like gazing balls or those copper
garden stakes with beads or glass balls on them in gardens? How about

solar
powered gazing ball / light combinations or other lights in the garden?
Just wondering what the general feeling is about these things.

What does it matter what anyone else thinks? It's your garden, not a
fashion statement or a neighbourhood competition. Have whatever you
like, as tasteful or tasteless as you want. Have things you don't even
like, but were given by or belong to or remind you of someone you love.

We have or have had a shifting population of all kinds of trash and
treasures in our garden, from Ent people homemade from forked driftwood,
to shells, beach stones and bits of flotsam that catch the fancy on
walks. There's a beautifully engineered fancy brass machine gear axle,
scrap gift from and reminder of my friend Jim, sitting on a slightly
queer table made by my friend Anthony. Recently I had some large granite
boulders delivered by a crane; and last week we found a huge orange
inflated plastic beachball which must have blown up the sea cliff in a
high wind. That's still bowling around the garden scaring our dog. There
are bits and bobs hanging from and in trees...wooden and plastic wind
spirals, birdfeeders, weird faces and masks.In among plants there's a
blue pig,(mothering day joke); a collection of frogs and toads (son's
childhood nickname) in various materials, a sleeping dragon (reminder of
life in Wales), and a larger than lifesize stone sculpture of a sitting
pregnant torso, (splurged inheritance from gardening aunt). Passers by
view the figure from her majestic rear and recently I discovered she's
known round the village as "The Bum". Oh, and there are two lifesize
wire figures, male and female, used for scarecrows. Various stone and
Thai ceramic bowls hold fresh water for dogs, birds, and just because I
like reflections in water. Some of the water bowls have things floating
in them; a glass fishing float, a terrible plastic water lily (gift),
and a battered plastic duck found on the beach by my dog. A crop of tall
swaying steel rods balance stones on their tops; and a tall copper
flower has a large glassbead centre (all made by John). Last, or perhaps
first, there's a rusty tin crow nailed beside the front gate.

I don't suppose any one of those things has much meaning or value to
anyone else, but to us they mark memories, old jokes, places and people.
Just pick what's special to you, and enjoy it.

Janet.

Hi
Your garden sounds pretty neat to me I'm basically a "throw it on the
ground and if it grows great" gardener. I do try to leave the areas I play
around with as natural as I can, meaning not much in the way of mulching or
digging and virtually no pesticides and such, since I love the lizards and
frogs that live there. We have geckos that sing and chirp at night,
especially after rain or watering. I bought some heavy copper wire from the
local home depot store and made some garden stakes with a few glass floats
and some beads. I also designed and built my pvc fence to keep my plants
safe. I hope to rebuild it in copper pipe one day soon since I think it
would be very pretty. Also looking for just the right old shoe to turn into
a planter for succulents. I do have a bird bath made from a large size
plastic drip tray bolted to a 4x4 fence post. I would hang birdfeeders and
hummingbird feeders if I could be sure I wouldn't get a lot of bees too (we
have had reports of "killer" bees in our area)

We are still remodelling our house after we flooded 2 years ago and are just
starting to look at the yard and what we can do with it. I like lots of
greenery and fortunately we live in a semi-tropical area where most things
stay green all year.

Mostly I asked the group about the gazing balls and such to make
conversation and to see what other people's gardens are like.

Shell

Old 08-09-2003, 05:02 AM
Philip

"Shell91" wrote in message
news

"~ Lori ~" ljadkins@keep yer junkmail.comcast.net wrote in message
Eccch....I hate all that kinda stuff. Less is definitely more in the

garden
"decor" department. And while we're at it.....one word for all you

people
dressing geese and bears in seasonal or holiday coodinating "outfits":
Stop. I'm begging you.
Lori

Hmmm...I would have to agree with the geese and bears dressed up. But I
have seen some beautiful geardens with all sorts of things in them from
huge
gazing balls and garden gnomes to planters made from old shoes.

I don't know, I think watching people trying to wrestle the bears and geese
while struggling with "outfits" is fun. Especially when the bears find out
that people run away when being clawed. Absolutely... what??? Oh, you
meant *plastic* bears and geese???

Nevermind
Philip

Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 AM
Shell91

LOL Geese are mean critters at best

Shell

"Philip" wrote in message
news%S6b.385930$Ho3.58487@sccrnsc03...

news

Old 08-09-2003, 08:42 AM
J. Lane

Decorating gardens should be a haphazard affair. Things that bring back
memories, childrens or friends " artistic" efforts, make do items, your own
"eurecas" and the things you fell in love with in a thrift store and
"converted" . My garden decorations are made up of such things. Plastic
foxes and racoons that my deceased mother-in-law left ot my daughter;
painted rocks that look like bees, ladybugs and a T-Rex head that my ten
year old daughter made for me; an old wooden ladder that I painted to use as
a trellis; driftwood from trips to the river; old wooden ariondac chairs
that I rescued from my neighbours house after the fire that totalled it, and
painted to match the rest of my odds and ends patio furniture.
When I look around, it all has a certain charm and holds lots of memories to
ponder on warm summer evenings.
--
Jayel
.. .

Old 08-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:40:08 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

[...]

Garden statuary, big time, has been a feature of formal gardens for
centuries, so it's certainly not tatty-by-definition. You *are*
kidding/trolling with regard to flashing colored lights, aren't you?

Did you see 'Twister' and the metal kinetic sculptures Aunt Whatsis
crafted? I wouldn't mind having one of *those* in a nice big garden.

Even examples of collossal 'bad taste' lawn decor is often fun to see,
'though I wouldn't want to live next door to it.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Shell91

wrote:

[...]

Nope not kidding Actually I have it set so the green light comes on at
dark. Though the flashing setting would be neat to use when having a party
or something like that.

Did you see 'Twister' and the metal kinetic sculptures Aunt Whatsis
crafted? I wouldn't mind having one of *those* in a nice big garden.

Saw that I would love to have something like that, especially if it made
windchime like sound

Even examples of collossal 'bad taste' lawn decor is often fun to see,
'though I wouldn't want to live next door to it.

The only truly bad taste I can think of is a totally out of control yard
full of weeds and junk like a rusted car or the like and lots of garbage
around. Wouldn't want to live next to that either

Shell

Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Gloria Lenon

Hey! I like my pink flamingoes! Of course they are in the backyard, not the
front. And my gnome is there too! Actually, they all are next to the pool
and keep the iguanas amused.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 08-09-2003, 07:12 PM
paghat

In article , "Gloria
Lenon" wrote:

Hey! I like my pink flamingoes! Of course they are in the backyard, not the
front. And my gnome is there too! Actually, they all are next to the pool
and keep the iguanas amused.

I have a lot of junk sitting out in my gardens or attached to trellises,
but I tend to avoid anything plastic or TOO tacky, though a brick with a
rat carved in it might look less ideal to some than to me. Apart from
rocks & logs & limbs that contribute to an artful chaos, such
human-manufactured stuff as this rusty old broken millstone meets my ideal
for garden knicknackery, & it was just something found in the sub-basement
when we bought the house:
http://www.paghat.com/knickknack4.html
The last sentence on that page addresses plastic flamingos.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"