Old 16-09-2003, 06:22 AM
KHEIKILA

Default Deer Problems

I am looking for any ideas for my poor perennial garden. I would
love the name of any deer resistant plants or any ideas for
discouraging the deer from enjoying my garden other than a 6 foot
electric fence.

Thanks,

Kelly
Old 16-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Chris Owens

KHEIKILA wrote:

I am looking for any ideas for my poor perennial garden. I would
love the name of any deer resistant plants or any ideas for
discouraging the deer from enjoying my garden other than a 6 foot
electric fence.

Thanks,

Kelly

Dogs. No, really; I live WAY out in the county . . . all my
neighbors are plagued by deer. I, OTOH, own four sighthounds,
including two borzoi, and nary a deer wanders into my yard [the
tree rats stay away, too; but, oddly enough, not the bunnies].
Other than that, I have never found a really good way to keep
deer out; and, given enough incentive, they'll eat ANYTHING.

Chris Owens

Old 16-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Heidi

Chris,

Out of curiosity, are your dogs primarily indoor or outdoor dogs? I
wonder if the deer do not come near you b/c the dogs are in the yard, or
b/c of the smells your dogs have left behind when they go outside to
relieve themselves, play, etc..

Heidi

Old 16-09-2003, 05:12 PM

make sure you got big dogs. I had a deer chasing my Papillon. Ingrid

Chris Owens wrote:
Dogs. No, really; I live WAY out in the county . . . all my
neighbors are plagued by deer. I, OTOH, own four sighthounds,
including two borzoi, and nary a deer wanders into my yard [the
tree rats stay away, too; but, oddly enough, not the bunnies].
Other than that, I have never found a really good way to keep
deer out; and, given enough incentive, they'll eat ANYTHING.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 16-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Suja

KHEIKILA wrote:

I am looking for any ideas for my poor perennial garden. I would
love the name of any deer resistant plants or any ideas for
discouraging the deer from enjoying my garden other than a 6 foot
electric fence.

Only a proper physical barrier is 100% deer proof. But, you can up your
odds by planting mostly stuff the deer don't like to eat, mixing in a
few things they would eat here and there. Mostly, try to keep the deer
resistant plants to the front, and the more tasty morsels to the
back/middle. Spray the non-resistant plants with deer repellents
religiously - you'll have to experiment a bit to see what works for you.

For me, the plants the deer don't eat mostly have fairly aromatic
foliage. The list includes Monarda, Salvia, Russian Sage, Yarrow,
Japanese anemone, various ferns, Veronicas, Nepeta, Agastache,
Coreopsis, etc.

Suja
Old 16-09-2003, 07:22 PM
dstvns

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:36:30 GMT, Heidi
wrote:

Out of curiosity, are your dogs primarily indoor or outdoor dogs? I
wonder if the deer do not come near you b/c the dogs are in the yard, or
b/c of the smells your dogs have left behind when they go outside to
relieve themselves, play, etc..

The spring before last I planted a cherry tree in an area "frequented"
by my dog on a daily basis. They ate it down to the stem with my dog
barking into their ear 5 feet away at the window.

Just like with nearly all wildlife, the only thing that motivates them
to leave is a direct fear of mortality...if a dog hasn't killed,
chased or injured any of them in their lifetimes, then it is not a
threat.

Dan

Old 16-09-2003, 10:02 PM
DavesVideo

any ideas for
discouraging the deer from enjoying my garden other than a 6 foot
electric fence.

I'm a big fan of the electric fence, but a bit lower than 3 foot seems to work
best. A single strand of wire at nose height works very well. I don't think
they can see that single thin wire, but they very quickly seem to learn that
grazing in your garden is a most shocking experience. Works for me. If you made
it 6 foot high and very obvious, they might try to jump over it.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 16-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Phisherman

Look for a product called "Deer Off." We start using it just before
Thanksgiving time. You have to keep reapplying it. There's a
home-brew way to make it, but it stinks.

Old 17-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Chris Owens

Heidi wrote:

Chris,

Out of curiosity, are your dogs primarily indoor or outdoor
dogs? I wonder if the deer do not come near you b/c the dogs
are in the yard, or b/c of the smells your dogs have left
behind when they go outside to relieve themselves, play, etc..

They're both . . . sighthounds need LOTS of exercise; they do hot
laps around the yard for about 10 minutes every hour, then spend
the rest of the time languishing on the furniture and trying to
convince Mommy to pet them . . . they're sprinters, not endurance
runners. OTOH, we have a dog yard . . . because I like the
interior of my house, and my plantings, just the way they are,
thank you. So, all this running about only occurs on one part --
about 1/4 acre -- of the property. But, we are talking about
dogs that were specifically bred to run down and kill game -- the
Borzois for things like deer and elk; the Whippets for small
game. So, maybe there's something about them that sets off
primal warnings in the deer . . . I know for certain that there's
something that sets off primal 'lunch' in the dogs when they SEE
deer.

Chris Owens

Old 17-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Kim

In article ,
says...
I am looking for any ideas for my poor perennial garden. I would
love the name of any deer resistant plants or any ideas for
discouraging the deer from enjoying my garden other than a 6 foot
electric fence.

We have this problem too. Here are some websites that list deer-
resistant plants:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...l&rn=RightNavF
iles/rightNavHowTo

http://www.organicgardening.com/library/deer_free.html

Here are various ideas that I have heard of for keeping deer out of a
garden:

- put fishing line around the perimeter of the garden, they can't see it,
and when they bump into it, they will get "spooked" and run off. There
is a possible danger for tangling, and we tried it and the deer (or a
monster from our woods) broke right thru.

- Sprinkle dried blood and human hair around the garden. You can ask a
salon to sweep up some hair for you. Human pee was suggested to, but,
well... ick

- Zoo poop. Supposedly the scent of predators will repel deer and
supposedly you can buy lion tiger and bear poop at the zoo. I wonder
tho, how many deer are familiar with the scent of lions!

We are thinking about trying a motion sensor loudspeaker, that when
tripped, booms a gunshot sound or howling wolves!

Good luck!!!

-kim
Old 17-09-2003, 02:12 AM
SAS567

I had to resort to a 10 foot fence around my veggie garden to keep the deer
out. I'm also counting on some hunters to help this fall.
Sue in Mi. Zone 5 (with TONS of deer.)
Old 17-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Kevin Miller

I've found the Scarecrow has been 100% effective and has lasted 2
years (heard they break alot)... You just have to remember to turn it
on!! What's funny is when I forget, that NIGHT they're back grazing
in the garden. One will cover only about 20x20 or so...

Kevin

P.S. I've had luck with Liquid Fence too...

Old 17-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Chris Owens

Kim wrote:

We are thinking about trying a motion sensor loudspeaker, that when
tripped, booms a gunshot sound or howling wolves!

Kim, be careful with this, your neighbors might not be all that
enchanted.

Chris Owens

[IMG] code is On

Tree bark problems (deer, sun, ???) byron Gardening 11 15-06-2007 09:48 PM
Solve your deer problems Ken Gardening 1 18-09-2003 10:04 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Problems with Deer, Coons, Coyote? Dan Charles Gardening 6 18-06-2003 05:56 PM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM