Old 08-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Compostman

Default Compost Bin Recommendations Needed

"Tom Jaszewski" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:52:07 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:40:43 -0800, Tom Jaszewski

opined:

I checked it out and it looks as if it could be my next bin. How
long have you had it outdoors and is it exposed to any amount of sun?

Thanks,
tj

Tom, this is awfully expensive and cost 40 dollars for shipping. The 20

dollar
price is PER level. It is not going to hold up well in sun. They did

some
experimentation with plastic compost bins and none of them held up for

more
than 4 years without degrading in the sun. Not in the kind of heat we
experience.

Victoria

Thanks Vic, I was really exploring the concept. John Imrick (sp?)
had some great recycled planters than do hold up well. I'll continue
to look for a similar design but more stable in the sun.

Tom, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Victoria's opinion is not
based on true facts. I just went to Smith & Hawken's web page. I Biostack
costs $89 for three sections. Additional sections are $20 each. I'm not
sure how much shipping is, but I know it's not anywhere as close as what
Victoria says. (I buy most of my stuff from the Smith & Hawken store near
me, rather than on-line, but I have ordered from the company, and the
shipping charge is similar to any other internet store.) I can tell you
this: In July I ordered a Biostack plus an additional section and had it
sent as a house-warming present to friends who had just purchased a house in
New Hampshire. I checked my bill and the charge was $127.95. So the
merchandise was $109, and $18.95 was shipping and taxes.

Now as to Victoria's assertion that "They did some experimentation with
plastic compost bins and none of them held up for more than 4 years without
degrading in the sun." Who is "They?" I have six Biostacks, plus lots of
additional sections. The oldest is 6 years, the newest was purchased this
year. I can't tell an significant difference from the oldest and the
youngest, but in reality, the sections get mixed up as I turn the piles.
Note: S&H usually puts the Biostack on sale about once a year. It was on
sale last month for $72. Often they put it on sale in the Spring. Also, at
the local S&H where I usually shop, I get a 10% discount because of my
membership in a gardening club. I think that S&H is a fairly expensive
store, but the quality is good, and for some reason, I don't think anyone
else makes a container like the Biostack.

By the way, speaking of Victoria's "They." Did you know that they have
conducted research which shows that for every hour one spends on the
internet, the person's life expectancy is reduced by 30 days? Gotta go!!!!
--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Salty Thumb

(Pen) wrote in news:d0db2d7a.0311051125.4c88b632
@posting.google.com:

If you don't have a dog, find a back corner, preferably hidden by
shrubs. Dig a pit about 2-3' deep. Dump your kitchen and yard waste
in there. Cover with a little of the soil that was dug out of it.
Keep the layer going until the content rises 2' above the surrounding
soil then dig a new pit. Let the old pile sit for 6months and you've
got great compost.

I bought an earth machine a couple of years ago. Found it
impractical. High winter winds knocked the top half off a couple of
times. The vents are not enough to prevent grass clippings from
becoming anaerobic. Rats chewed through the plastic base and make the
whole thing a winter home.

I have something called a earth machine, too. it's a conically shaped,
one piece, except for the cover with locks into place and a sliding door
at the bottom. works pretty well, though I've nothing to compare it to.
I guess it's 3-4 years old, doesn't show any signs of sun damage. I have
not noticed any ravenous plastic eating rats in the area (got some wood
eating ones though). mine came with 6" plastic screws to anchor it into
the ground. you're right about the vents allowing enough oxygen, but I
think the manual suggested you turn the pile occasionally. they even had
some ridiculously priced auger contraption to help you do it. I think a
fork would work just as well, but have been too cheap to buy one (been
trying to flip the pile with a old piece of rebar ... yeah go ahead,
laugh, it's good for you, laughing anyway).

- ST
Old 08-11-2003, 11:32 PM
animaux

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:32:12 GMT, "Compostman"
opined:

[...]

Hmmm...Taken from:
http://www.smithandhawken.com/jhtml/...TID=72&index=1

Biostack Composter®

# 420067
$89.00

Biostack Single Layer

# 420083
$20.00
($40 add'l shipping)

This is the only composter designed to save your back while improving your
soil: its three bottomless tiers make turning the pile easy. Built of 60%
recycled polyethylene, it’s waterproof, rotproof, rodent-proof, and easy to
clean. The hinged lid blocks rain and retains essential heat. Holds 13 cubic
feet. Individual layers also available at right. 28" Sq., 34" H.

That's 40 dollars ADDITIONAL shipping. So, either you are full of shit, or not,
but it's what they have on their website.

As for "they?" The Tarrant County Cooperative Extension in Texas. Do you live
in Texas, or Nevada? Tom and I do. Me Texas he Nevada. We have sun 300 days a
year, or darn near close, with way over 120 of those days about 100 degrees.
Very little rain

Old 09-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Pen

Mine might be an earth machine copy, sounds like you've got a better
thing. It was sold as a two piece: top cylinder latches onto a wider
bottom cylinder (whole thing pops off with a kick). The bottom had 4
big screws that pinned down a large thick plastic sieve for the
bottom. A lid capped the whole thing and had adjustable vents
depending on how far the lid was turned. I always turned it all the
way otherwise wind would take it to the nighbour's yard!

When turning, I used the lip for leverage. I'm barely 5' so when the
top half pops off, the neighbours gets a laugh. When I got rats in
there, they turned compost for me by their tunneling action.
Unfortunately, we discovered they were roof rats. ugh!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Tom Jaszewski

wrote:

Tom, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Victoria's opinion is not
based on true facts.

Thanks compostman BUT I get a bit more sun than you!

Las Vegas solar radiation levels,

Annual Total BTU's per square meter (10 tubes): 5,693,311

Washington DC

Annual Total BTU's per square meter (10 tubes): 3,602,086

That's 57% higher solar radiation, I'd expect the plastic to degrade
faster here. Generally even treated plastics begin to fail around the
5 year mark. I have seen products, recycled, that last longer but
haven't found any reliable data.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Compostman

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

I just checked out Smith & Hawken's web site and sure enough they say $40
shipping for the $20 single layer, but I checked what the shipping for a
complete Biostack (3 layers) and it is $15.95. Someone at S&H has gone
crazy. I've sent them an e-mail to ask what's going on. As I said in my
message, in July I sent a Biostack and an extra layer to a friend in New
Hampshire for $127.95. As to the "they" which you say is the Tarrant County
Cooperative Extension. Have they published their study? I'm very
skeptical. I recommend putting compost piles or containers in the shade.
But this isn't to protect the plastic containers, but to protect the
composting person from the sun.

--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Old 10-11-2003, 04:12 AM
animaux

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:47:58 GMT, "Compostman"
opined:

I just checked out Smith & Hawken's web site and sure enough they say $40
shipping for the $20 single layer, but I checked what the shipping for a
complete Biostack (3 layers) and it is $15.95. Someone at S&H has gone
crazy. I've sent them an e-mail to ask what's going on. As I said in my
message, in July I sent a Biostack and an extra layer to a friend in New
Hampshire for $127.95. As to the "they" which you say is the Tarrant County
Cooperative Extension. Have they published their study? I'm very
skeptical. I recommend putting compost piles or containers in the shade.
But this isn't to protect the plastic containers, but to protect the
composting person from the sun.

It says 40 dollars EXTRA, which is on top of the regular shipping on items which
are determined by the level of cost.

I should have said Denton County. I made an error. I don't recall if it was
published or not. Several different bins were given out and within 3-4 years
all started showing signs of degradation caused by the sun.

When Tom asked the question, I answered him based on the knowledge of where he
lives and where I live and how we both have intense heat and in general, the
solar exposure for many, many long months of 10 on the scale of high solar
degradation to our skin, and just about everything else. It wasn't an off the
cuff answer. There were factors.

Nobody at S&H has gone mad. I've been ordering from them for years and they
always have pricey shipping on bulky items. It's not a mistake.

Victoria
Old 11-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Salty Thumb

(Pen) wrote in
m:

Mine might be an earth machine copy, sounds like you've got a better
thing. It was sold as a two piece: top cylinder latches onto a wider
bottom cylinder (whole thing pops off with a kick). The bottom had 4
big screws that pinned down a large thick plastic sieve for the
bottom. A lid capped the whole thing and had adjustable vents
depending on how far the lid was turned. I always turned it all the
way otherwise wind would take it to the nighbour's yard!

When turning, I used the lip for leverage. I'm barely 5' so when the
top half pops off, the neighbours gets a laugh. When I got rats in
there, they turned compost for me by their tunneling action.
Unfortunately, we discovered they were roof rats. ugh!

hmm, now that you've described it, I think mine *probably* originally
came in two pieces, too. (how did I fit it in my car?) I would check
but it's full of hurricane debris and out in the middle of nowhere right
now. Everything else matches exactly (except maybe the number of screws,
but I don't use them). If yours is really an Earth Machine (TM), it
should have 'earth machine' embossed on the cover (very hard to see,
though).

I usually leave the top barely latched on even though I've also had the
lid blow off [but not the entire top half :-)], because quite frankly
it's a pain to remove esp. when you've got your hands full of
compostables. I find the handle leaves a lot to be desired (grip-wise)
and it's hard to know when you've turned the top enough to unlock it. I
should probably paint some marks on it or something.

(bin is located in SE Virginia, so concerning UV degradation, probably
doesn't have the same problems as TX and AZ).

- ST
Old 11-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Compostman

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

Victoria, I'm responding to the S&H charge of $40 for shipping the $20
single Biostack layer. It's not actually bulky, because it comes in four
pieces. And shipping for the full biostack, which contains 3 layers plus a
heavy lid is only $15.95. So $15.95 for 3 layers and a top, in contrast to
$40 for just one layer doesn't make sense. Plus I ordered both a full
biostack and an extra layer and the total cost was 127.95. The cost of the
items was $109, and shipping plus tax was $18.95. I've asked S&H for an
explanation. I'll share it when I hear from them.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC