Old 19-01-2004, 03:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

Yes, plant it and it'll be dead in 2 years with OLS.
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/xylella/oleander.html.
OLS exists in texas.

Secret Asian Man wrote:
=

"meanbeagle" wrote in message
One word "OLEANDER". Oleander loves Houston's soil and weather.

=

Good choice. I also use it as a screen. Not only does it grow fast and =

hide
unsightly areas, it blooms profusely in May and June. For a
"stick-it-in-the-ground-and-forget-it" large shrub, oleander can't be b=

eat.
It's so tough that they plant it on freeway medians.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 19-01-2004, 03:09 PM
animaux

I don't know that all Oleander will be dead in two years. I've had a beautiful
stand for 4 years and it looks fine. Yes, there is this OLS to be concerned
about, but oak wilt is also there. I suppose your position is correct in that
if one plants something for a screen, and in a few years has that thicket, it is
a waste of time if it then dies just as it's getting beautiful. In that, we
agree. OLS may be more prevalent in Houston. In this area of Texas, it's found
in parts of the region which over use Oleander. It's deer resistant, so it's
everywhere deer are found browsing in gardens.

Victoria

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:59:07 -0600, J Kolenovsky opined:

Old 20-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Jim Lewis

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Ligustrum problems:

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000857.html
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening...01700561.shtml

Cercospora leaf spot on privet/ligustrum

============

And, if you want whitefly, PLANT PRIVET. I can't imagine a
privet privacy hedge in early to mid summer. The white fly would
rise in clouds whenever someone brushed it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 20-01-2004, 02:06 AM
Jim Lewis

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message

Arborvitae is a northern plant. They get leaf thin-out and look
thinned
in the middle and bottom. You probably are looking in some
catalogs and
saw these. If you are, consider some advice. I used to do that.
Ordered
out of those mid and northern catalogs. I have ripped out all of
those
plants purchased during 1992- 1997 becuase they aren't from these
parts,
they aren't native, some got invasive, some got diseases, some
required
a lot of work and some were just plain ugly as they got older.
=============

Yes. We in the south are often teased by those northern
catalogs only to find that our summers are what does them in.
Even "natives" that grow naturally in your area, if purchased
from a northern nursery, will do more poorly in the south.
=============

If I could get you to consider native plants (again, I ask this -
you
posted same topic 30 days ago), you will find that you'll have
wildlife
in your yard, no pests or diseases, little fertilizing to do
(using an
organic fertilzer), less maintenance and a higher quality of
life. Ask
Victoria or ask me. We went with natives and people drop in the
street

================

A while back I had to search the web for native nurseries for
a client and I seem to recall several from TX; there's bound to
be a nursery that specializes in native plants in or near your
area. That's where you will get plants that will do well.

I might suggest Ilex vomitoria (NOT that non-flowering male
hybrid monstrosity sold by the Home Depots and Lowes "nurseries")
as a good hedge. It is native to TX, I think. I seem to recall
a bonsai grower from central TX who called it a "weed" there.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 20-01-2004, 02:42 AM
J Kolenovsky

Jim Lewis wrote:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Yes. We in the south are often teased by those northern
catalogs only to find that our summers are what does them in.
Even "natives" that grow naturally in your area, if purchased
from a northern nursery, will do more poorly in the south.

Yes, absolutely.
I always recommend to get a native that comes from within a 100 mile
radius or less of one's location. That way one gets the true one from
their area.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=

A while back I had to search the web for native nurseries for
a client and I seem to recall several from TX; there's bound to
be a nursery that specializes in native plants in or near your
area. That's where you will get plants that will do well.

Yes, I can send him a local retailer list. Thanks, Jim.

=

I might suggest Ilex vomitoria (NOT that non-flowering male
hybrid monstrosity sold by the Home Depots and Lowes "nurseries")
as a good hedge. It is native to TX, I think. I seem to recall
a bonsai grower from central TX who called it a "weed" there.

Yes, there are farmers and ranchers who refer to Yaupon Holly that way.
And in the wild, it can definitely get thick. Here in the city, there
are Yaupon species that can stay fairly controllable.
=

http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 20-01-2004, 02:45 AM
J Kolenovsky

Jim Lewis wrote:
=

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Ligustrum problems:
=

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000857.html
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening...01700561.shtml
=

Cercospora leaf spot on privet/ligustrum
=

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=

And, if you want whitefly, PLANT PRIVET. I can't imagine a
privet privacy hedge in early to mid summer. The white fly would
rise in clouds whenever someone brushed it.

You know that many whiteflies could sure in the birds and
beneficials,...aah... maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves. We're
trying to get him to plant native shrubs/trees. I don't think he's ready
for the a butterfly/nectar garden quite yet. BUT when he is....
=

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Hey, I like your nature taglines. How'd you do that?

-- =

Old 20-01-2004, 03:13 AM
animaux

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:56:42 -0500, "Jim Lewis" opined:

A while back I had to search the web for native nurseries for
a client and I seem to recall several from TX; there's bound to
be a nursery that specializes in native plants in or near your
area. That's where you will get plants that will do well.

I might suggest Ilex vomitoria (NOT that non-flowering male
hybrid monstrosity sold by the Home Depots and Lowes "nurseries")
as a good hedge. It is native to TX, I think. I seem to recall
a bonsai grower from central TX who called it a "weed" there.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

If you want a wonderful hedge, yaupon holly is hard to beat. I have many, many
dwarf yaupon holly bushes around our home. The birds love the berries and you
cannot beat the form of the dwarf.

I wouldn't call them weeds, but they are certainly found everywhere in the brush
in Texas. A most delightful plant.

All states in the U.S. have a Native Plant Society chapter.

Victoria

Old 20-01-2004, 04:05 AM
J Kolenovsky

animaux wrote:
=

[...]

That's right. Here's the link:
http://www.prairienet.org/gpf/natives.html

Victoria, I think Jim Lewis might work in landscape. Not sure, but some
of his comments seem that way.
=

Victoria

-- =

Old 20-01-2004, 07:12 AM
SJE

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, can't wait to move in and get
started!
Old 20-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Secret Asian Man

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Yes, plant it and it'll be dead in 2 years with OLS.

Nonsense. My oleander is pushing 8 years old. The oleander on the beltway
medians is over 10.

http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/xylella/oleander.html.
OLS exists in texas.

Cancer also exists in Texas. That doesn't mean we all die from cancer.

--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
τΏτ - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business

Old 20-01-2004, 02:32 PM
animaux

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:25:18 -0600, J Kolenovsky opined:

Victoria, I think Jim Lewis might work in landscape. Not sure, but some
of his comments seem that way.

Victoria

Could be. I haven't forgotten your frog fruit! Us, with that frogfruit chase!

I'll get it to you. It's in the greenhouse in 6 packs. I haven't potted them
into 4" pots yet. I will send them to you unpotted. Hard to kill these.

Old 20-01-2004, 03:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Secret Asian Man wrote:

Although not a native plant to the US, Oleander is a fairly good plant
to use as a screen. It doesn't attract any wildlife but it is durable.
Since it doesn't produce berries, birds don't contribute to spreading it
around the environment and causing it to become a dominant species.
Those "oleanders" on Beltway 8 "are" 10 years old or older. I do have
one of these planted behind the garage and its about 14' tall. =

-- =

Old 21-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Victoria, I think Jim Lewis might work in landscape. Not sure,
but some
of his comments seem that way.

No. I'm a retired environmental educator, an amateur botanist, a
Florida "Advanced Master Gardener" (FWIW), and have been growing
bonsai for nearly 30 years, concentrating (mostly) on native
trees and shrubs. I have a hard time thinking of anything more
enjoyable than wandering through the woods at any time of year
looking at plants (and pulling up escaped exotics! Ardesia is my
latest pet peeve around here.).

I do my own landscaping, such as it is, but that's it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

[IMG] code is On

Looking for plant suggestions for privacy border Clem Gardening 3 18-02-2007 07:59 PM
Seek Suggestions for Privacy Tree openspaces Gardening 9 06-05-2006 05:36 AM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Gardening 8 10-04-2005 03:43 AM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Ponds 8 10-04-2005 03:43 AM
Suggestions for Living Privacy Fence in South Bobbie Gardening 14 31-10-2003 08:02 PM