Old 28-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Roberta L. Mueller

Default movie goof

I just saw the great new movie "Cold Mountain." There is a scene of an
Easter picnic and on the table is a big bouquet of pink and white COSMOS!
Any gardener knows they don't bloom until late summer, even in North
Carolina (I'm sure?). Also the tree above looks kind-of too leafed out for
Easter. (It didn't ruin the fantastic movie for me though

Maddy, I love your posts always!!!

Roberta

Old 28-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Shelly

"Roberta L. Mueller" wrote in message
I just saw the great new movie "Cold Mountain." There is a scene of an
Easter picnic and on the table is a big bouquet of pink and white COSMOS!
Any gardener knows they don't bloom until late summer, even in North
Carolina (I'm sure?). Also the tree above looks kind-of too leafed out

for
Easter. (It didn't ruin the fantastic movie for me though

Maddy, I love your posts always!!!

Roberta

Delurking, since your post triggered a thought I had while watching the
movie...the battle scene in the movie starts out with shots of rabbits going
in and out of a warren. I was under the impression that the only species of
rabbit we have in North America that burrows in the pygmy cottontail out in
the Pacific Northwest. Am I mistaken, or was this a goof, too?

-Shelly

Old 28-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Dwight Sipler

Shelly wrote:

...Delurking, since your post triggered a thought I had while watching the
movie...the battle scene in the movie starts out with shots of rabbits going
in and out of a warren. I was under the impression that the only species of
rabbit we have in North America that burrows in the pygmy cottontail out in
the Pacific Northwest. Am I mistaken, or was this a goof, too?

I have a guy who keeps rabbits on my farm (New England). The ones that
burrow out create burrows around (not in) the fields. They are mixed
varieties, but definitely not pygmies.
Old 28-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Shelly

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Shelly wrote:

...Delurking, since your post triggered a thought I had while watching

the
movie...the battle scene in the movie starts out with shots of rabbits

going
in and out of a warren. I was under the impression that the only species

of
rabbit we have in North America that burrows in the pygmy cottontail out

in
the Pacific Northwest. Am I mistaken, or was this a goof, too?

I have a guy who keeps rabbits on my farm (New England). The ones that
burrow out create burrows around (not in) the fields. They are mixed
varieties, but definitely not pygmies.

Hadn't thought of that...I suppose they could have been a domesticated
European rabbit that someone released... I was focused on wild, native
rabbits, I guess.

Thanks!

Old 28-01-2004, 08:02 PM
WiGard

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:28:39 -0800, Roberta L. Mueller wrote:

I just saw the great new movie "Cold Mountain." There is a scene of an
Easter picnic and on the table is a big bouquet of pink and white COSMOS!
Any gardener knows they don't bloom until late summer, even in North
Carolina (I'm sure?). Also the tree above looks kind-of too leafed out
for Easter. (It didn't ruin the fantastic movie for me though

Maddy, I love your posts always!!!

Roberta

The Great Outdoors is about some Chicagoans vacationing in northern
Wisconsin. The scenery, the lakes, hills and forest, is anything but
Wisconsin. Looks more like the west.

Starman featured a spacecraft plunging into Chequamegon Bay. The cast's
pronunciation was more Hollywood than the way it's pronounced here.

Looks like movies take license with everything.

Old 29-01-2004, 01:51 AM
madgardener

"Roberta L. Mueller" wrote in message
I just saw the great new movie "Cold Mountain." There is a scene of an
Easter picnic and on the table is a big bouquet of pink and white COSMOS!
Any gardener knows they don't bloom until late summer, even in North
Carolina (I'm sure?). Also the tree above looks kind-of too leafed out

for
Easter. (It didn't ruin the fantastic movie for me though

Maddy, I love your posts always!!!

Roberta

thanks Roberta! I want to see Cold Mountain myself. maddie

Old 29-01-2004, 03:09 AM

wrote:

I just saw the great new movie "Cold Mountain." There is a scene of an
Easter picnic and on the table is a big bouquet of pink and white COSMOS!
Any gardener knows they don't bloom until late summer, even in North
Carolina (I'm sure?). Also the tree above looks kind-of too leafed out for
Easter. (It didn't ruin the fantastic movie for me though

Maddy, I love your posts always!!!

Roberta

In The Deer Hunter, all the hunting scenes took place in rural
Pennsylvania. Take one glance at the environment and it's clear that
it's somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Old 29-01-2004, 03:32 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Shelly"
writes:

Delurking, since your post triggered a thought I had while watching the
movie...the battle scene in the movie starts out with shots of rabbits going
in and out of a warren. I was under the impression that the only species of
rabbit we have in North America that burrows in the pygmy cottontail out in
the Pacific Northwest. Am I mistaken, or was this a goof, too?

-Shelly

Shelly
from A Field Guide to the Mammals by Burt & Grossenheider

Eastern Cottontail: spends day in partially concealed form, burrow in ground..
Eastern US to Montana, Wyo, E. Colo. Southern NM &Az
Mountain Cottontail: similar to E. Cottontail, Mountain states, Great Basin
Desert Cottontail: seeks safety in thickets or burrows
So Mont, Wyo, Colo, W. Tex, Az, NM, So & central valley CA
Pygmy Rabbit: Digs simple burrows, generally 2 or more entrances
N Nev, S. Ida, E Ore, NE Ca
Hope this helps
Emilie

Old 29-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Shelly said:

Delurking, since your post triggered a thought I had while watching the
movie...the battle scene in the movie starts out with shots of rabbits going
in and out of a warren. I was under the impression that the only species of
rabbit we have in North America that burrows in the pygmy cottontail out in
the Pacific Northwest. Am I mistaken, or was this a goof, too?

A result of filming in Europe, and not caring about the difference in flora and
fauna. 'Rabbits is rabbits' to most people. While eastern cottontails may dig
shallow scrapes, they in no way can compare to the warrens of European
rabbits. A daytime layup may be barely more than a shallow depression, and
a nest is a small bowl, hardly a burrow -- barely holds the litter.

I catch a lot of errors of this sort in films. Even films made in the appropriate
locations may have 'natural' sounds added in later in the studio, and the most
popular source of bird noises seems to be possibly a 'birds of Canada' tape.
You can hear loons and wood thrushes singing in the most amazing locales!

One film that gardeners in particular might notice was 'off' in terms of
vegetation was the Daniel Day Lewis version of The Last of the Mohicans.
The lavish wild rhododendrons were huge clues that they certainly weren't
filming in upstate New York but rather in the North Carolina. (No way I'd mistake
the Blue Ridge mountains for the Catskills or Adirondacks!)

(attributed to Don Marti)

[IMG] code is On

Goof of the day. willshak Lawns 17 27-11-2005 09:36 PM
When the yard police goof [email protected] Gardening 28 12-07-2005 06:30 AM
Heron attack on movie Patrick Christensen Ponds (alternative) 0 17-05-2004 09:14 PM
[IBC] Discovery channel movie on Geisha dalecochoy Bonsai 0 10-04-2003 06:45 PM
like the movie "Groundhog Day"? JimS. Roses 4 01-03-2003 08:16 PM