Old 29-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Of interest to gardening computer weenies and/or marijuna growers

excerpt:
CARLSBAD, Calif. - When police noticed Dina Dagy's family was spending $250
to $300 a month on electricity, they suspected a marijuana farm was
flourishing under high-intensity lights inside their suburban home.

What they found when they showed up with a drug-sniffing dog and a search
warrant was a wife and mother who does several loads of laundry a day,
keeps a dishwashing machine going, has three electricity-guzzling computers
and three kids who can't remember to turn the lights out when they leave a
room.

Complete article he
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...9&ncid=519&e=3
&u=/ap/20040328/ap_on_re_us/electricity_probe_1
Old 30-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Cereus-validus

I hope the woman gets herself a good lawyer and sues the porkers blue. She
certainly could use the money.

Too bad she wasn't growing starter tomato and pepper plants under
fluorescent lights too. They might have claimed they were a new type of
marijuana.

There have been stories about orchid growers being busted by over-anxious
police because they were propagating their plants under fluorescent lights
and the cops weren't bright enough to distinguish rare plants from pot.

Old 30-03-2004, 02:12 AM
Salty Thumb

"Cereus-validus" wrote in
:

I hope the woman gets herself a good lawyer and sues the porkers blue.
She certainly could use the money.

Too bad she wasn't growing starter tomato and pepper plants under
fluorescent lights too. They might have claimed they were a new type
of marijuana.

There have been stories about orchid growers being busted by
over-anxious police because they were propagating their plants under
fluorescent lights and the cops weren't bright enough to distinguish
rare plants from pot.

It's pretty ridiculous, isn't it? With 3 computers, she can't be doing too
bad, but you can probably bet that the cops aren't pouring over the
electricity bills of really high income bracket people.

Old 30-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Starlord

trouble is, the computers don't use up the power, it's those washing
machines and dryers that guzzle the power. I've watched my power and
even with ALL 4 of my machines running, I get all of maybe $5.00 more
on my bill, but I don't go over $30 to $40 on my 2 bedroom trailer.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
news
"Cereus-validus" wrote in
:

I hope the woman gets herself a good lawyer and sues the porkers

blue.
She certainly could use the money.

Too bad she wasn't growing starter tomato and pepper plants under
fluorescent lights too. They might have claimed they were a new

type
of marijuana.

There have been stories about orchid growers being busted by
over-anxious police because they were propagating their plants

under
fluorescent lights and the cops weren't bright enough to

distinguish
rare plants from pot.

It's pretty ridiculous, isn't it? With 3 computers, she can't be

doing too
bad, but you can probably bet that the cops aren't pouring over the
electricity bills of really high income bracket people.

---

Old 30-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"Cereus-validus" wrote:

I hope the woman gets herself a good lawyer and sues the porkers blue. She
certainly could use the money.

Sounds like it, eh. I surprised that $300 raises eyebrows in CA.
I live in a household of 4 with 2 teens & we spend $150-200 on 12-1500
KWH. I thought we were in a cheaper area of the country especially
compared to CA. Anyone from CA willing to venture a guess as to what
$250 represents in KWH?

Too bad she wasn't growing starter tomato and pepper plants under
fluorescent lights too. They might have claimed they were a new type of
marijuana.

There have been stories about orchid growers being busted by over-anxious
police because they were propagating their plants under fluorescent lights
and the cops weren't bright enough to distinguish rare plants from pot.

-snip-

20 years [or so] ago our Governor wanted to show off his new infra-red
technology for busting rural pot growers. He, the gendarmes & and a
handful of reporters started cruising rural Schenectady county NY in
several helicopters. Their new toy spotted a field with several
plants & they set down to make a huge and very public bust---- but it
turned out to be tomato plants.

ooops--

Jim

Old 30-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Jim Elbrecht contains these words:

20 years [or so] ago our Governor wanted to show off his new infra-red
technology for busting rural pot growers. He, the gendarmes & and a
handful of reporters started cruising rural Schenectady county NY in
several helicopters. Their new toy spotted a field with several
plants & they set down to make a huge and very public bust---- but it
turned out to be tomato plants.

In Scotland, growers use the attic space, where visitors never go and
grow-lights don't show. Attics in Scotland are cold, so they have to
heat the plants.

The police helicopters use a heat-detector to spot roofs which are
radiating more heat than normal :-)

Janet.

Old 31-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Brian

Our large local police station had a side entrance for officers on foot. For
100 yards this passed the rear gardens of local houses with only a wire
fence separating the footpath. Used by dozens daily.
One garden, owned by an elderly lady, was totally overgrown with healthy
marijuana. Some even overhanging the wire and had to be brushed aside to
walk past. It went totally unrecognised by both the police and locals for
months.
Eventually she had her whole garden dug over for free and just a polite
note asking her not to spread her birds' droppings and unused seed on the
garden!!
A little did return but someone kept the garden clear for her.
I never did know if there were any red faces etc.
Best Wishes.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:43:31 +0100, "Brian" wrote:

Our large local police station had a side entrance for officers on foot. For
100 yards this passed the rear gardens of local houses with only a wire
fence separating the footpath. Used by dozens daily.
One garden, owned by an elderly lady, was totally overgrown with healthy
marijuana. Some even overhanging the wire and had to be brushed aside to
walk past. It went totally unrecognised by both the police and locals for
months.
Eventually she had her whole garden dug over for free and just a polite
note asking her not to spread her birds' droppings and unused seed on the
garden!!

I thought they sterilized cannabis seed before they put it into bird feed. Do
they even use it at all these days? (I've never had a pet bird, and I've never
seen hemp seed of any kind in wild bird feed mixes.)