Old 30-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Retiredff

Default Japanese chestnut ID

After getting confirmation from the forester who works with our extension
service that a tree in the woods in front of my house is not an American
Chestnut, we are down to two choices. Those are 1) Allegheny Chinkapin
(castanea pumila) or 2) Japanese Chestnut (Castanea crenata???). Right now,
we are leaning towards the Allegheny Chinkapin, based on description.

Their reference materials showed no pictures of the female flowers from the
Japanese Chestnut, nor have I had any luck finding them on the web.

So, my question is this. Does anyone have any picture that shows the female
flower of the Japanese Chestnut? Heck, even a detailed description might
help.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 30-05-2004, 06:02 AM
'enry VIII

This might help you:
http://www.nb.net/~javadoug/amch/Che...omparison.html

'enry VIII

link.net...

Old 30-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Retiredff

'enry VIII wrote:
This might help you:
http://www.nb.net/~javadoug/amch/Che...omparison.html

'enry VIII

Thanks, that is one of many sites I've looked at. The best part about it is
the side-by-side comparison of the various parts. Even though there is a
huge difference in the pictures of the leaves, there were still enough
differences in what I provided to the extension service that they were still
unsure. That was the main reason wanting the female flower info.

If all else fails, I just have to hope for some nuts this fall. The last
time it produced was almost three years ago.

Old 30-05-2004, 04:02 PM
David J Bockman

Try http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/overframe3.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/5species.html

It would appear that Chinkapins burrs form in small grapelike clusters,
whereas the Japanese Chestnut burrs will form in groups of 3 or so. the
Japanese form's burrs will also form interlocking patterns of hairs
(http://www.mindspring.com/%7Epsisco/...vs_Jap_Bur.jpg) (japanese burr
on right)

Dave

link.net...

Old 30-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Mike LaMana

Chinquapin seeds are almost like glorified beech seeds...pretty darned
small.

If memory serves, look with a hand lens for the presence/absence of small,
stellate hairs on the underside of the leaf. If there the tree is likely Jap
chestnut. Also, chinquapin has much more narrow, dentate, almost yellowish
leaves in comparison to the Jap. chestnut.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

link.net...

Old 30-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Retiredff

David J Bockman wrote:
Try http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/overframe3.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/5species.html

It would appear that Chinkapins burrs form in small grapelike
clusters, whereas the Japanese Chestnut burrs will form in groups of
3 or so. the Japanese form's burrs will also form interlocking
patterns of hairs
(http://www.mindspring.com/%7Epsisco/...vs_Jap_Bur.jpg)
(japanese burr on right)

Dave

That is the same info I've found. ID'ing by burr won't happen until latter
in the season, if there are any at all.

For what it's worth, I believe they are showing the burrs flattened/spread
out, after they have split open to expose the nut.

Thanks

Old 30-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Retiredff

Mike LaMana wrote:
Chinquapin seeds are almost like glorified beech seeds...pretty darned
small.

If memory serves, look with a hand lens for the presence/absence of
small, stellate hairs on the underside of the leaf. If there the tree
is likely Jap chestnut. Also, chinquapin has much more narrow,
dentate, almost yellowish leaves in comparison to the Jap. chestnut.

That helps. I looked for hairs the other day, and saw none. Never even
thought to pick up a magnifying glass. With it, I still saw no hairs.

It's a shame that the pages that show the various leaves side-by-side did
not have a ruler in the picture. The largest I found on my tree was 6 1/4".
If that chinkapin (apparently two different ways to spell it) leaf is close
to that size, then the chestnut leaves are huge.

Thanks

Old 30-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Retiredff

Retiredff wrote:
David J Bockman wrote:
Try http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/overframe3.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~psisco/www/5species.html

It would appear that Chinkapins burrs form in small grapelike
clusters, whereas the Japanese Chestnut burrs will form in groups of
3 or so.
Dave

For what it's worth, I believe they are showing the burrs
flattened/spread out, after they have split open to expose the nut.

Thanks

But, then again, I might be wrong about that

Old 30-05-2004, 10:02 PM
'enry VIII

All this talk about Chestnut trees have spiked my interest, what would you
recommend as a good tree to plant for Eastern Washington State

'enry VIII

"Retiredff" wrote in message
link.net...

Old 30-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Retiredff

'enry VIII wrote:
All this talk about Chestnut trees have spiked my interest, what
would you recommend as a good tree to plant for Eastern Washington
State

'enry VIII

"Retiredff" wrote in message
link.net...

'enry VIII wrote:
This might help you:
http://www.nb.net/~javadoug/amch/Che...omparison.html

'enry VIII

Thanks, that is one of many sites I've looked at.

I wouldn't have a clue. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will offer up
some suggestions for you.

Larry

[IMG] code is On

Pachera / tropical chestnut. Pablo Edible Gardening 0 17-11-2003 02:42 PM
growing fir cones and horse chestnut? Bry United Kingdom 19 09-10-2003 04:23 PM
[IBC] Horse Chestnut Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 02-09-2003 12:02 AM
Horse Chestnut Seedlings StormCrow United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM
Sprouting/Growing Edible Chestnut? Terry United Kingdom 6 11-03-2003 12:32 PM