Old 11-07-2004, 12:02 PM
madgardener

Default A horticultural problem of huge proportions

We're facing a horticultural problem of huge proportions here in Tennessee
and probably the eastern region. Thursday I arrived at Lowes outside lawn
and garden department to discover the State Agricultural extension and
region agent with another man with him.

When we had the head's up concerning Monrovia's having shipped Sudden Oak
Death fungus to other nurseries which was carried on Camelia's and
Rhoddies, I alerted people on another newsgroup because if this western
fungus gets over here, it will wipe out all our oaks eventually. And think
about how many kinds of oaks we have here, and the fact that this fungus
kills a tree in two years or shortly there after..............solemn
thoughts there.

Apparently it's worse than that. Bad enough that Monrovia is one of the
largest distributing nurseries in the US, but now Means Nursery in Oregon
has apparently been using compost which had shredded oak
bark..............yep. Shrubs and plants shipped from Means Nursery to Lowes
and other stores that purchse their stock have probably gotten Sudden Oak
Death fungus that is in the soil of Rhododendrums, Azaela's, and Lilac's.
Any shrubs that are sitting next to these plants, particularly Viburnum's
will also pick up the fungus and be spread to those AND the oaks.

The state agent was at our store where he and his colleague were taking
plant and soil samples to ship off to the labs at UT Agricultural department
and the State agricultural department. They had already done this to every
Lowes in the area and were going to EVERY Lowes that purchased these shrubs
and such from this Nursery.

This is HUGE. We cannot afford to let this slip out and into neighborhoods.
These fungus have potential to cross breed and that means apparently a
stronger and more deadly fungus that WILL wipe out our oaks.

I wanted to give ya'll a heads up. We have what remains of our stock from
Means as well as some other shrubs from a totally different nursery here in
Tennessee that were sitting next to the possibly infected plants in the back
under quarantine. I'll let you know in two weeks the results.

madgardener in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 11-07-2004, 03:02 PM
escapee

Is this the same thing as oak wilt? If so, we have it rampant in parts of
Texas. It's very serious, but there are some native oaks which are resistant.
Live oak seems to be the worst hit in our region.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 06:44:47 -0400, "madgardener" opined:

Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Ann

"madgardener" expounded:

When we had the head's up concerning Monrovia's having shipped Sudden Oak
Death fungus to other nurseries which was carried on Camelia's and
Rhoddies, I alerted people on another newsgroup because if this western
fungus gets over here, it will wipe out all our oaks eventually. And think
about how many kinds of oaks we have here, and the fact that this fungus
kills a tree in two years or shortly there after..............solemn
thoughts there.

David Brockman posted about this back in March, but then the story was
out of San Fransisco, I think. Here's the link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGL55IF011.DTL

Hope the link works. That'd be horrible up here, we're already losing
our gorgeous hemlocks, the woods I walk through don't look the same,
the hemlocks are so thin (and dying). Now the oaks. Things move too
fast nowadays, organisms and critters have easy routes to where they
can devastate new regions. How sad.....and it's sad to say that
gardening and landscaping causes most of the problems.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Jean B.

madgardener wrote:

[...]

That is just awful. Does anyone know the status of the ?vaccine?
for SOD?

--
Jean B.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Richard

escapee wrote in
:

Is this the same thing as oak wilt? If so, we have it rampant in
parts of Texas. It's very serious, but there are some native oaks
which are resistant. Live oak seems to be the worst hit in our region.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/pe...st/sodeast.htm

According to the USDA oak wilt is a different, albeit just as serious,
disease. They also state that the Texas live oak is very susceptible to
oak wilt. Oak wilt doesn't produce the cankers and bleeding of SOD.

[...]

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a
friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

Although this is very serious, no one can ever predict how a fungal disease
originating in one climate will do in another. California has a VERY dry
summer with fairly low humidity. The entire US east of the Great Plains has
a summer with very high humidity and a lot of summer rainfall. This might
support the spread of the fungus, OR it might slow it down. Likewise, even
the central part of the south has more severe winter temperatures than most
of California, which only sees light frosts at best. And certainly the
mid-Atlantic and Northeast have much more severe winters. Again, this might
hinder the development of the fungus or slow its spread. I hope so, because
the oak forests of the East are a thing of glory. Of course, not that long
ago, those forests were more evenly comprised of elms, chestnuts, maples,
pines, and oaks, so the oak forests of today are not the forests that our
ancestors found there.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

"madgardener" expounded:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../03/11/BAGL55I

F011.D
TL

Hope the link works. That'd be horrible up here, we're already losing
our gorgeous hemlocks, the woods I walk through don't look the same,
the hemlocks are so thin (and dying). Now the oaks. Things move too
fast nowadays, organisms and critters have easy routes to where they
can devastate new regions. How sad.....and it's sad to say that
gardening and landscaping causes most of the problems.

The emerald ash borer has been just devestating here in SE Michigan.
Dead ash trees everywhere. One whole genus of trees GONE.

And now, the threat of even more bad news.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

escapee said:

Is this the same thing as oak wilt? If so, we have it rampant in parts of
Texas. It's very serious, but there are some native oaks which are resistant.
Live oak seems to be the worst hit in our region.

No, Sudden Oak Death is a different threat.

We've got oak wilt here, too. It's carried by sap beetles. The usual
recommendation is to never prune oaks except during a very limited
period of the year (fall and early winter, IIRC). Storms don't listen to
the arborist's guidelines, though...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM
MLEBLANCA

For information regarding Sudden Oak Death (SOD) go to the CA Oak Mortality
Website at

www.suddenoakdeath.org

There are about 60 identified host plants
(not just camellias and rhodies) some can
have the disease and not die. The plants
and symtoms are listed there as well as
up to date information.

(I have posted this site several times; has anyone ever looked at it?)

Emilie
NorCal

Old 12-07-2004, 06:03 PM
William Wagner

Here is a URL of possible interest. http://www.suddenoakdeath.org/

William(Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post
Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 PM
escapee

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:19:24 -0400, "Jean B." opined:

As someone who should probably be called a tree hugger (not
literally and not to be confused with a tree spiker), I find all
of this incredibly sad.

Yes, it is quite sad. There are some theories that the fungal mat in most large
groves is being so disturbed that the properties in the structure of the soil is
not able to take on these pathogens.

Old 13-07-2004, 05:02 AM
MLEBLANCA

(I have posted this site several times; has anyone ever looked at it?)

I have, Emilie.
--
Ann,

Oh good, Ann. I'm glad someone got some use from it. (I should have known you
would be interested!)

I check it out every so often to see what's going on. They have found so many
host plants now, it's amazing. We don't have it here, but we are considered an
"at risk" county, since there are many tanoaks in the foothills.

We're going camping up in the mountains this week, so I'll be away from the
group for a few days. Will be catching up with all the posts at the end of the
week. How's your summer going?

Emilie
NorCal