Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Ol' Duffer

Default Cats and Catnip

Planted a short row of catnip in the new grape arbor this year,
figuring our cat would enjoy it. After reading the planting
suggestions on the package, I thought I would try for an extra
good stand and bought three packages instead of one.

Germinated well, and when the sprouts looked big enough to fend
for themselves, I showed Fluffy where it was. She was suitably
greatful, however...

It is now apparent that I underestimated her ability and persistance
in grazing the little plants nearly flush with the ground. Moreover,
she has now determined that directly on top of the poor things is a
great place for a morning nap. And afternoon. And evening.

I guess I don't mind, as I planted the stuff mostly for her to
enjoy, but it is unclear whether any of it will survive long enough
to naturalize. I think I'm going to have to make a stronger run at
it next year. Maybe three rows with ten seed packs, about an order
of magnitude more than one might think reasonable.

[IMG] code is On

Catnip & Cats! Mozie Edible Gardening 17 07-11-2005 02:27 AM
trouble with catnip five of four Plant Science 5 17-09-2003 03:53 AM
Catnip Alternative Janice United Kingdom 7 23-06-2003 08:20 AM
growing catnip indoors Jessica Gardening 4 16-06-2003 09:32 PM
Introducing "CATNIP AND KEROSENE GRASS" Evar Grieg Gardening 0 04-03-2003 01:27 AM