Old 25-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Kenneth

Default Mulching leaves into lawn...?

Howdy,

I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...

[] Good idea...

[] Bad idea...

[] Other...

Thanks for any thoughts,

--
Kenneth

Old 25-10-2004, 08:24 PM
SugarChile

I do it every year, it works like a charm, and provides some organic
material to feed the lawn. The trick is to mow several times over a period
of days or weeks as the leaves are falling, so you're not trying to tackle a
thick buildup.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 25-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Volfie

"Kenneth" wrote in message

Howdy,

I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...

[] Good idea...

[] Bad idea...

[] Other...

Thanks for any thoughts,

I don't know about the lawn but if you can bag them, dump them in your
gardens. Your garden next year will be beautiful.

I don't have a mulching mower but when I see bags of mulched leaves out at
the curb on garbage day (duh on those people), I grab them and bring them
home. I *love* them.

Giselle (and so did my herb garden)

Old 25-10-2004, 09:02 PM
zxcvbob

Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...

[] Good idea...

[] Bad idea...

[] Other...

Thanks for any thoughts,

I mulch most of them into the lawn. If there are a *bunch* of them,
I'll go over them rather quickly with the mulching mower, then attach
the grasscatcher bag and mow over them again to rechop and bag the
excess leaves (which then get dumped in the garden).

Bob
Old 25-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"SugarChile" wrote in message
ink.net...
I do it every year, it works like a charm, and provides some organic
material to feed the lawn. The trick is to mow several times over a

period
of days or weeks as the leaves are falling, so you're not trying to tackle

thick buildup.

......which is exactly what I tried yesterday. Some mowers might handle thick
buildup, but mine didn't. Oh well. Someone should design a mower patterned
after a cow: More than one stomach (or mulching chamber, as it were).

Old 25-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Jim Carlock

"Doug Kanter" sayeth:
...which is exactly what I tried yesterday. Some mowers might
handle thick buildup, but mine didn't. Oh well. Someone should
design a mower patterned after a cow: More than one stomach
(or mulching chamber, as it were).

LOL Brings back memories...

I ruined a mower when I was kid. The grass grew to one
foot high and it was my turn to mow!

The mowers should have bigger engines. That nice 454 cubic
inch in the '71 Buick Riviera would have worked great! Or
was it a 455? I know it had a Rochester four-barrel carb.

The day I traded the broken lawn mower for the Buick, the
Buick ran out of gas as I drove it into the driveway.

Ended up getting a riding lawnmower and I broke the belt
on that. Those lawnmowers don't like high grass. If the
grass is high, ya just have to go real slowly, an inch at a
time. The 5 minute mowing won't work.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

"SugarChile" indicated...

Old 25-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Kenneth wrote:

I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...

I have been doing that for 40 years and wouldn't do it any other way.

The leaves I have are usually dry and "fluffy". If they are two heavy
in one area, they get pushed in front of the garden tractor until the
load evens out, so they all get mulched eventually. I go over the lawn
every week until the leaves stop falling. My leaves are a mixture of
oak, ash, Bradford pear, ginko, and assorted leaves that blow in from
the surrounding forest.
Old 25-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Warren

Kenneth wrote:
I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...
[] Good idea...
[] Bad idea...
[] Other...
Thanks for any thoughts,

Depends on how many leaves we're talking about!

In my backyard, that strategy works great. In my front yard, there are
so many leaves that even if I ran the mulching mower over and over
again, I'd still have a layer so thick it would suppress the grass.

In the front yard I use a leaf vac - a big one that looks like a lawn
mower from a distance. The bag holds almost 2 cubic feet of shredded
leaves, and I'll get two bag-fulls twice a week from less than 400 sq ft
of lawn. No way I could leave that much on the lawn! I dump about half
of it on my vegetable garden, toss some manure on it, cover it with a
tarp, and till it all in come spring.

But the back and side yards just get mowed with the mulching mower, and
it works just fine. And the front yard usually gets the mulching mower
treatment once or twice as leaf season finishes. I just have too many of
them there to use it as the only way to handle leaves.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Black & Decker Landscaping Tools & Parts:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker

Old 26-10-2004, 03:10 AM
simy1

Kenneth wrote in message . ..
Howdy,

I am considering running my mulching mower over our lawn rather than
raking the (modest amount) of leaves off...

I get about one foot of leaves in the frontyard, and a more modest
amount in the back. I mow/mulch them all, then as my neighbors pile
bags on the curb, I take those for the vegetable garden. So I use all
my leaves and bring in about half a ton a year extra. They are really
one of the best soil conditioners around, and in spring they disappear
completely.
Old 26-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Bill Spohn

Someone should design a mower patterned
after a cow: More than one stomach (or mulching chamber, as it were).

A decent 6.5 bhp mower like the Ariens will basically deal with anything up to
a foot high - just take a pass with the wheels set high before trying to cut it
to regular low height. If you try to grind it all in one pass, I imagine you
could choke just about anything!
Old 26-10-2004, 04:39 PM
simy1

Mark Herbert wrote in message ...
In article ,

I do the same. The earthworms love the stuff, and will aerate the soil
beneath wherever you deposit it.

I use an electric mower to mulch quite a load of leaves, but if they are
dry and I take my time, I can completely powder them in a reasonable
time. I always sharpen the blade halfway through the job.

yes. for the lawn, it is certainly a good idea to pulverize them,
though I find that even coarsely chopped they disappear by May. for
the garden, it is best not to chop them, so that they can suppress
weeds well into august the next year. and in fact it is best not to
put them on the garden during winter, but rather as far away as
possible, because they will attract rodents. it is still a good deal
work wise: to move half a ton of leaves twice (once now, once in May)
takes two or three hours. to weed the beds twice during the season can
take days of work.
Old 27-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Joe

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I rake my leaves, not much, and the neighbors, big pile, on my beds after
they freeze up, which is very soon. Waiting like this gives less habitat to
the mice and more constant conditions to the bulbs. By June the leaves have
vanished.

For my lawn I rake in black compost right after the thaw. My lawn is nice
and green all year this way. (I stopped using chemical lawn amendments
three years ago.) In fact there is a sharp green line between me and the
neighbor!

Old 27-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"Joe" wrote in message

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Isn't that fun? I had the same situation with the lawn at my prior house,
except I never had enough compost to share between vegetables & grass. But,
I didn't bag the grass, and I mowed it as high as the mower could go. My
neighbor, on the other hand, was a ChemLawn addict, and mowed his lawn like
it was a putting green. Mine looked gorgeous, and his looked like it was
close to death, except for 2 weeks in the Spring. He was constantly coming
over and asking me what secret stuff I was using. He refused to believe that
the answer was "nothing". This went on for 10 years. The dummy never
learned.

Old 27-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Jay Chan

Depends on how many leaves we're talking about!

In my backyard, that strategy works great. In my front yard, there are
so many leaves that even if I ran the mulching mower over and over
again, I'd still have a layer so thick it would suppress the grass.

Exactly, if there is a lot of leaves, mulching alone will still leave
a layer of mulch leaves on the grass; they just cannot decompose fast
enough -- not good. I will use my mower to "bag" the leaves. My Honda
mower will mulch the leaves to small pieces despite the fact that I
set it up for bagging not mulching. Then, I dump the whole bag of
mulched leaves into my compost pipes. I will mulch agin (instead of
bagging) if there is only small amount of leaves or if I am mowing the
lawn.

Moreover, using a self-propelled lawn mower is MUCH easier than using
a leaves-rack. I would much rather to get my exercises through other
means.

I remember my old JD lawn mower cannot cut the leaves into small
pieces if I use it in bagging mode. Somehow my Honda can do this in
bagging mode. This must have to do with the fact that the Honda lawn
mower has 4 cutting blades instead of just two.

In the front yard I use a leaf vac - a big one that looks like a lawn
mower from a distance. The bag holds almost 2 cubic feet of shredded
leaves, and I'll get two bag-fulls twice a week from less than 400 sq ft
of lawn. No way I could leave that much on the lawn! I dump about half
of it on my vegetable garden, toss some manure on it, cover it with a
tarp, and till it all in come spring.

I also have a leaf-vac. Unfortunately, it is not a self-propelled
version, and pushing (actually is pulling) a leaf-vac over the lawn is
not easy. Therefore, I stick with using the self-propelled lawn mower
to bag the leaves from the lawn (this also can cut the leaves into
small pieces). Now, I only use the leaf-vac on flat surface, such as
the drive way and the curb. I might have used the lawn mower to take
care of leaves on flat surface in the future; but the leaf-vac "seems"
to do a better job in sucking leaves from flat surface, and I can use
it to shred fallen tree branches along the way. When the leaf vac
dies, I may use the lawn mower to take care of everything.

If you have a self-propelled leaf vac, you will have the best of both
worlds.

Jay Chan