Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Lady Blacksword

I'd like to note, that the neighbor should quit being a crybaby, and trim
the damn vine themselves. I certainly would. And I certainly would not gripe
about something that stupid to someone who had been kind enough to invite me
over for wine.
But then, I also tend to do things like pick & eat the tomatoes and
cucumbers that a neighbors vines produce on MY side of the fence.
And I don't gripe when her leaves blow into my tree-less yard.
Murri
"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message

"Jeana" wrote :
I think the gracious thing to do is take the vine out. It doesn't really
matter which one of you is the crank.

Personally I think that's overdoing it. If Michele enjoys the vine, she
should keep it. As it was suggested before, I wouldn't go on their
property
to trim it. If it can't be trimmed from her own side, then they obviously
have the right to trim it themselves from their side. Let them do it.

Bonnie

Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Michelle C

Bonny, You sound like the type of neighbor I am used to (before these people
moved in.)

I just remembered that they have a lilac bush that overhangs my fence. I
wonder if I should pick the flowers myself, or order them to trim it so that
it doesn't hang over my property?

(I think I'll pick them. I love lilacs.)

news:1105556666.11633ca4feaf3c99f92af8d499db55e6@t eranews...

Old 12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/12/05 7:00 AM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

"James" wrote in message

What Michelle should do IMO is either get rid of the vine and do something
else or create a smiling type war of irksome antics like erecting a board
fence with the other side painted a flourescent color.

Illegal here (Rochester NY), and probably most other places, too. If the
building inspector stopped by to see if the structure matched the permit,
she'd be forced to take down the fence, or paint it herself.

You're in Rah-cha-cha - we have a good friend leaving there to move to NH.
Why not you too!
Cheryl

Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 PM
paghat

In article , "Michelle C"
wrote:

Bonny, You sound like the type of neighbor I am used to (before these people
moved in.)

I just remembered that they have a lilac bush that overhangs my fence. I
wonder if I should pick the flowers myself, or order them to trim it so that
it doesn't hang over my property?

(I think I'll pick them. I love lilacs.)

My neighbor is at the foot of a huge retaining wall "cliff" & years ago he
planted a row of lilacs trees down there. They now have their tops above
the retaining wall, so up here on top it's like I have a little hedgerow
of white, blue, and pale blue lilacs. I really appreciate them.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Bonnie Jean

Well, thanks. You only imagine I'm sorta normal because you don't know me. I
am fortunate that all my neighbors are pretty normal.

Bonnie...who wishes she had enough sun for lilacs.

Old 13-01-2005, 03:38 AM
Doug Kanter

Kanter" wrote:

"James" wrote in message

What Michelle should do IMO is either get rid of the vine and do
something
else or create a smiling type war of irksome antics like erecting a
board
fence with the other side painted a flourescent color.

Illegal here (Rochester NY), and probably most other places, too. If the
building inspector stopped by to see if the structure matched the permit,
she'd be forced to take down the fence, or paint it herself.

You're in Rah-cha-cha - we have a good friend leaving there to move to NH.
Why not you too!
Cheryl

The moment my son goes to college, I'm free to move. Until
then.....yawn.....

Old 13-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Doug Kanter

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

the scent of lilacs is just one of the most wonderful there
is.

Especially if you put the florets in your hair.

Hey....who said that? Catch that guy! He went down the alley!

Old 13-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Kanter" wrote:

"James" wrote in message

What Michelle should do IMO is either get rid of the vine and do
something
else or create a smiling type war of irksome antics like erecting a
board
fence with the other side painted a flourescent color.

Illegal here (Rochester NY), and probably most other places, too. If the
building inspector stopped by to see if the structure matched the permit,
she'd be forced to take down the fence, or paint it herself.

You're in Rah-cha-cha - we have a good friend leaving there to move to NH.
Why not you too!
Cheryl

The moment my son goes to college, I'm free to move. Until
then.....yawn.....

I liked Rochester - nice city! But better gardening here!

Cheryl

Old 13-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:52:33 -0500, "Michelle C"
wrote:

Oh, for God's sake! "Eyesore" is a commonly accepted figure of speech,
meaning 'unpleasant to view'. Obviously the canoe didn't cause physical pain
to my eyes.

All right, I was being over-critical. Yes, I know what "eyesore"
means. It means something that does no actual harm but that one
prefers not to look at. Part of the compromises we make in living
around other people is realizing not all of them are exactly the same,
and some are *bound* to do things that annoy others. Local codes
generally prohibit conditions that are noxious or dangerous. I very
much doubt that storing a canoe outside is one of them.

You asked if you were wrong in considering them "cranky". I think you
were. If they'd wanted you to plan their landscaping, they would have
asked. If you'd said when you planted it, "I want to plant this along
the fence, and it may intrude on your property. Are you OK with this
if I keep it trimmed?" I feel confident they would have been perfectly
satisfied, even pleased. If they were "cranky," they would have yanked
up the plants by the roots.

That is, their "eyesore" caused you nothing but aesthetic pain, while
your plants have become a very real nuisance to them.
Old 13-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:48:29 -0500, "Michelle C"
wrote:

These same neighbors have complained about my oaks and elms dropping leaves
into their yard each fall, and of shading their pool too much during the
summer. Personally, I think they are a pain in the ass, but I want to hear
what others think.

In this case, yes, they *are* being over-picky. A reasonable person
doesn't expect anyone to control where leaves drop or shade falls. In
most places, they are legally entitled to trim tree branches that
overhang their property, but not require that you regulate the wind
and sun.