Old 12-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Salty Thumb

"Michelle C" wrote in
:

Even when their canoe was leaned
against my fence, I did not complain. My opinion is that they can do
whatever they wish on their property.

Super Salty Seer says: Optimistic idealists like yourself will never get
along with short-sighted pragmatists.

Since it has been determined that you are the owner of the fence, it is
your prerogative or not to tell the other party to bugger off. However,
they do have right to trim encroaching parts of the vine in a manner that
does not result in the death of your vine and if they can show that your
vine is damaging their property (and not just being a nuisance) they may be
able to take action against you. Since you have indicated that you are not
adverse to trimming both sides, you may choose that solution until it
becomes odious for whatever reason at which time you will enact the
contigency plan that you had prepared in the interim.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 AM
James

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"Michelle C" wrote in
:

[...]

Sorry, but I have to side with Michelle C. From the moment the neighbors
mentioned the vine, it was apparent they were petty individuals. To bitch
about a 5 minute job every 2 - 3 weeks while much more time is spent tending
their own garden is petty and doesn't even deserve a serious discussion IMO.
If Michelle does not agree to trim their side of the fence, I expect some
repercussion from the petty ones like butchering the entire vine as trimming
or killing it as some kind of challenge. Such behavior is childish. So rip
out the fence Michelle and put up a board one. And make it high enough the
*******s can't see what you are doing. And if you invite them over in the
spirit of the holidays again, make sure they get the rot gut liquor.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 AM
James

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Oh, for God's sake! "Eyesore" is a commonly accepted figure of speech,
meaning 'unpleasant to view'. Obviously the canoe didn't cause physical

pain
to my eyes.

Use of this term (eyesore) always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a
line is
an "eyesore." Car restoration/repair in a driveway is an "eyesore."
Unless the canoe was emiting noxious vapors, it probably didn't
actually hurt your eyes.

Eyesore is a relative term but no matter. An eyesore up against a fence for
months is a worse one than somebody's underwear on a clothes line for an
hour or two.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Salty Thumb

"James" wrote in
:

[...]

Well that's pretty much what I said but anyway, regardless of whether the
neighboors are assholes or not, legally, if the vines are damaging their
property, they can take legal action. It may not be cost effective to do
so, but they can do it. Likewise if Michelle can show that they caused the
death of her vine or maybe even cause any damage to the vine (on Michelle's
property) then she can take action against them. Since I guess Michelle is
not the litigious type and if in fact trimming twice as much vine is not a
big deal then why not? Of course I also think that any guest who utters
"your name here, you're going to have to do something about blah blah"
has about as much tact as a feces throwing monkey, to the end that any
amount of trimming will eventually become unsatisfactory, additional
demands will probably be made and Michelle will decide to effectively tell
the neighbors to bugger off and put up a solid fence or enact some other
suitable solution that obviates the original problem.

Ethically, if Michelle were the neighbor, having different circumstances
and different values, would doubtless not want somebody else's vines pretty
or no encroaching on her own flowers. So ethically, you would think
Michelle would want to do something about it. Now normally, I don't think
people go willy nilly into other people's yards to trim their own plants,
but as that solution has been presented as suitable to both parties at
least in temporarily, then it seems the best interim solution. I also
think that Michelle finds the neighbors in some way irksome, so I guess she
might get tired of the double trimming and enact a more permanent solution,
such as a new fence or moving the vine x distance inside her property onto
a trellis or some kind.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:06 AM
paghat

In article , "James"
wrote:

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Oh, for God's sake! "Eyesore" is a commonly accepted figure of speech,
meaning 'unpleasant to view'. Obviously the canoe didn't cause physical

pain
to my eyes.

Use of this term (eyesore) always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a
line is
an "eyesore." Car restoration/repair in a driveway is an "eyesore."
Unless the canoe was emiting noxious vapors, it probably didn't
actually hurt your eyes.

Eyesore is a relative term but no matter. An eyesore up against a fence for
months is a worse one than somebody's underwear on a clothes line for an
hour or two.

Sheets & clothes & linens on a clothesline are kind of nostalgic to me, &
not an eyesoar. In this day & age everyone has a dryer; it's been a long
time since I've seen clothes out on a line. But I remember my
great-grandma Elva using a very old-fashioned washing machine with a
hand-turned pair of rollers for a "wringer," then everything after it had
been through the wringer at least twice was hung outside on three long
clotheslines. It was fun to run after the guinea-hens & chickens between
the rows of hanging garments & sheets & towels, & push one's face into a
stiffening sun-warmed sheet that smelled like summer.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 12-01-2005, 04:13 AM
James

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"James" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes. We agree on the neighbors but you talk as if this should maybe be a
legal case. Now I ask you, is a bloody vine worth the trouble of time and
money for the creeps that live next door. There are a number of ways that
the "problem could be handled". The simplest being to rip the damn vine out
in the first place and plant a bush when the canoe comes back (and it
probably will if not something worse). Neighbors (at least a lot of them)
love to moan and bitch about another neighbor and a private "one-upmanship"
begins. Those would be more fun to keep tabs on rather than legal ones.
Yeah, yeah, we are a llitigious society but this doesn't even measure up to
Judge Judy.

What Michelle should do IMO is either get rid of the vine and do something
else or create a smiling type war of irksome antics like erecting a board
fence with the other side painted a flourescent color. That kind of stuff.
Make the creep paint the thing, thinking he is getting even. Now THAT'S
entertainment for the whole neighborhood and she will make many friends for
those holiday parties.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:16 AM
James

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "James"
wrote:

"Michelle C" wrote in message
[...]

A few still do that though not too often. I think they want the fresh airy
smell.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Salty Thumb

"James" wrote in
:

Yes. We agree on the neighbors but you talk as if this should maybe be
a legal case. Now I ask you, is a bloody vine worth the trouble of
time and money for the creeps that live next door. There are a number
of ways that the "problem could be handled". The simplest being to rip
the damn vine out in the first place and plant a bush when the canoe
comes back (and it probably will if not something worse). Neighbors
(at least a lot of them) love to moan and bitch about another neighbor
and a private "one-upmanship" begins. Those would be more fun to keep
tabs on rather than legal ones. Yeah, yeah, we are a llitigious
society but this doesn't even measure up to Judge Judy.

I don't think it should be a court case, however, the subject is
"Legal/Ethical Dilemma", not "how do I handle my unseemly neighbor".
However, if it comes that then it pays to be on the law's side. To
answer your question, if I like the vine, then I don't really care what
the neighbors think as long as I am not being unreasonable. Unreasonable
being if I planted an invasive vine that crawls all over the place,
destroys their property or eats their children or anything that otherwise
does not CMA legally.

What Michelle should do IMO is either get rid of the vine and do
something else or create a smiling type war of irksome antics like
erecting a board fence with the other side painted a flourescent
color. That kind of stuff. Make the creep paint the thing, thinking he
is getting even. Now THAT'S entertainment for the whole neighborhood
and she will make many friends for those holiday parties.

Fortunately I don't think Michelle is the type to be so petulant as to
bother to paint the neighbor's side of a new fence a fluorescent color.
At any rate, if she wanted to be spiteful, then why would choose your
first option and remove the vine? It's her fence. her vine. If the
neighbors have a problem with it, then it's their problem. If they
decide to spitefully ripe out the vine, then Michelle can take legal
action or she can move on. Of course if she wanted to waste her time
with little Mickey Mouse games, she could do that too. To be blunt, if
you think that painting a fence one color in order to induce a neighbor
to paint it a different color is anything other than stupid, then you
need to grow up.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/11/05 2:19 PM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/11/05 1:37 PM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore."

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled
the
world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there
is
an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally
trained
and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in
them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.

Doug,

If you only knew how bad I needed that laugh!

Cheryl

The house next to mine is empty. I believe I've made you smile in the past.
Git on over here, woman!

Ok!

Cheryl

Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Kanter" wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore."

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled
the
world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there
is
an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally
trained
and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in
them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.

Doug,

If you only knew how bad I needed that laugh!

Cheryl

The house next to mine is empty. I believe I've made you smile in the past.
Git on over here, woman!

BTW - is it snowing there!
Cheryl

Old 12-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Bonnie Jean

"Jeana" wrote :
I think the gracious thing to do is take the vine out. It doesn't really
matter which one of you is the crank.

Personally I think that's overdoing it. If Michele enjoys the vine, she
should keep it. As it was suggested before, I wouldn't go on their property
to trim it. If it can't be trimmed from her own side, then they obviously
have the right to trim it themselves from their side. Let them do it.

Bonnie

Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Doug Kanter

"James" wrote in message

What Michelle should do IMO is either get rid of the vine and do something
else or create a smiling type war of irksome antics like erecting a board
fence with the other side painted a flourescent color.

Illegal here (Rochester NY), and probably most other places, too. If the
building inspector stopped by to see if the structure matched the permit,
she'd be forced to take down the fence, or paint it herself.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Doug Kanter

Kanter" wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore."

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled
the
world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there
is
an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally
trained
and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in
them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.

Doug,

If you only knew how bad I needed that laugh!

Cheryl

The house next to mine is empty. I believe I've made you smile in the
past.
Git on over here, woman!

BTW - is it snowing there!

It's stupid here. Stupid weather. A few days ago, we had slush/rain, which
froze on the ground on irregular lumps that make it impossible to go for a
good walk unless you wear ice cleats. It snowed on top of that, thereby
making it harder to spot the ice. Today, it's supposed to reach the 50s, low
60s tomorrow, which is perfect trout fishing weather. But noooooooo...I have
to work. Just in time for the weekend, the temps will plunge into the 20s
with snow.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Michelle C

Hi Salty,

I have a funny story about fence-paining that happened to a friend of mine.
It was a feuding-neighbor scenario, and my friend put up a six-foot privacy
fence as a solution. But rather than paint the neighbor's side a flourescent
color, my friend chose to paint it the same color as his side. (His goal was
not to do his neighbor a favor, but to properly seal the fence to increase
its longevity).

The neighbor was on vacation on painting day, and so my friend and his
helpers thought they would have a little fun as they painted. They painted a
bunch of expletives on the neighbor's side first - before painting it in
earnest. The only problem was that when the painting was done, the
expletives showed through. They had to give the fence three additional coats
to cover up all the swear words before the neighbor returned. It was a lot
of extra work, but they learned from it. They still laugh about it to this
day.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore."

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled
the
world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there
is
an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally
trained
and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in
them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.

I'd like them back, please, Doug.

Janet.

No! :-)