Old 11-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Warren

Michelle C wrote:
Perhaps they haven't trimmed it because they're afraid you're an
unreasonable person who'll freak-out because they're chopping away at
your vine.

That's ridiculous.

Why? Because *you* know you're not an unreasonable person? Based on the
way you've dismissed what I've said as rediculous, I'm already getting
the impression that you're an unreasonable person who isn't willing to
accept that differnt people have different perspectives. If that's how
you treat them, I wouldn't be surprised to hear from them that you're an
unreasonable neighbor.

The dynamics of how the neighborhood I grew up in and where I live now
are completely different. Neighbors expect different things from each
other 40 years and 2000 miles away. There isn't just one right way of
viewing a situation like this. But maybe you think that's ridiculous,
too.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Compare the newest tax preparation software apps:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html

Old 11-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Michelle C

Based on the way you've dismissed what I've said as rediculous, I'm
already getting the impression that you're an unreasonable person who
isn't willing to accept that differnt people have different perspectives.

It's "rediculous" (sic) because you're making judgements about me and you
don't even know me.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Michelle C" wrote in message
:: During teh Christmas holidays, I invited these neighbors over for a
holiday
: drink, and James said "Michelle, you're going to have to do something
about
: those vines." When I asked him what he meant, he said that the vines were
: growing into their yard and are strangling their plants.
:
....snip....

: TIA!
: Michelle
:
:

I have no idea about the law in your area and an internatonal forum may not
be the best place to get ideas on that side of the issue.

As others have said you may not have the best neighbours in the world;
however if you really want to keep the vine AND the neighbours could you
move the vine?

What I mean is put a trellis in front of the fence (say) a yard on your side
and train the vine forward on to it over a period of time. You would then
be able to keep it off the fence from your side. They cannot complain and
the fence is still hidden by the vine that you like. This may be cheaper
than the privacy fence also.

David

Old 11-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:24:19 -0500, "Michelle C"
wrote:

Three years ago, my neighbors were storing a canoe up against the chain link
fence that separates our backyards. It was an eyesore.

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore." Car restoration/repair in a driveway is an "eyesore."
Unless the canoe was emiting noxious vapors, it probably didn't
actually hurt your eyes.

It sounds as if you came up with a very satisfactory solution. For
you. Were you initially aware the vine would spread? You say you trim
*your* side every 2-3 weeks. Many people don't care for plants that
require that much maintenance.

Your neighbor very reasonably brought to your attention that *your*
plants were becoming a nuisance. Perhaps they don't regard your
"magnificent backdrop" in the same light as you do. They might even
regard it as an "eyesore." At any rate, it's become troublesome to
them.

I believe you are wrong in thinking they are unreasonable. They very
nicely said they'd be perfectly happy if you'd take care of
maintenance on their side of the fence. They did *not* ask you to
remove the plants entirely. They merely told you you had created a
quite real problem for *them* and suggested a remedy.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Tex John

Well, my $0.02 would be to plant a natural fence that will block the
view...I don't know, something like Golden Bamboo :)

Before long, they won't be able to see them ATVs either if they aren't
willing to put in their yard-work time. Course that's a rude thing to do to
your OTHER neighbors....

John
snickering in this balmy houston weather

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Michelle C" wrote in message
WOW! You must be a lawyer! Thanks for your reply, paghat!

You're right... I'll probably end up getting a privacy fence. But if I

do,
I'll pay for the entire thing myself. They aren't the most co-operative

of
neighbors.

Some vines still find their way through every crack in those fences.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Doug Kanter

If you want revenge, bindweed's also an option, but only after you've sold
your place and are preparing to leave. :-) According to everyone I've asked,
the only way to really kill it is to use chemicals even the military is wary
of.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Michelle C

Yes, Janet, I asked for opinions. I did not however ask for people who know
nothing about me to rudely criticize me for being an "unreasonable person".

Thanks anyway, and have a terrific day

But you invited "ethical" comments, and asked us to judge your
neighbours reactions and intentions, even though we don't know them. If
everyone shared your personal opinions there would be no "dilemma" in
the first place!

Old 11-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Michelle C

Oh, for God's sake! "Eyesore" is a commonly accepted figure of speech,
meaning 'unpleasant to view'. Obviously the canoe didn't cause physical pain
to my eyes.

Use of this term (eyesore) always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a

Old 11-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Doug Kanter

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore."

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled the
world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there is
an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally trained
and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in
them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/11/05 1:37 PM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore."

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled the
world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there is
an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally trained
and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in
them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.

Doug,

If you only knew how bad I needed that laugh!

Cheryl
--
Cheryl Isaak
AHS Region 4, USDA Zone 4B/5A

Old 11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Doug Kanter

Kanter" wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is
an "eyesore."

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled
the
world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there
is
an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally
trained
and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in
them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.

Doug,

If you only knew how bad I needed that laugh!

Cheryl

The house next to mine is empty. I believe I've made you smile in the past.
Git on over here, woman!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Warren

Michelle C wrote:
Yes, Janet, I asked for opinions. I did not however ask for people who
know nothing about me to rudely criticize me for being an
"unreasonable person".

Yet you're willing to call other people ridiculous even though you know
nothing about them.

I think we're finding out far more about who you really are than you
think. For example you've made it quite clear that you only want people
to agree with your perspective. You won't even entertain viewpoints
different than your own, and quickly dismiss them. That much is quite
clear. From everything you've said in this thread so far, I'm sure your
neighbors have been walking on eggshells hoping not to be called
unreasonable or ridiculous simply for having a valid, but different
viewpoint than you.

Of course you could just present yourself poorly, and you really are a
reasonable person who is willing to view things from other perspectives.
But that's not who we're seeing.

Or is that an opinion you don't want to entertain as well?

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 11-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Michelle C

Yet you're willing to call other people ridiculous even though you know
nothing about them.

Thats' not true, Warren. I did not call you ridiculous. . It was your
negative personal **comments** about me that I termed ridiculous.

I think we're finding out far more about who you really are than you
think. For example you've made it quite clear that you only want people to
agree with your perspective.

That is not true either. I welcome opinions that are presented politely. I
have done so many times in this thread. But when someone attackes me
personally, I reserve the right to speak out.

You won't even entertain viewpoints different than your own, and quickly
dismiss them.

Wrong again. Many people have said that I should remove the plants, but I
did not dismiss either them or their views.

. From everything you've said in this thread so far, I'm sure your
neighbors have been walking on eggshells hoping not to be called
unreasonable or ridiculous simply for having a valid, but different
viewpoint than you.

Wrong again. (You're on a roll.) Even when their canoe was leaned against
my fence, I did not complain. My opinion is that they can do whatever they
wish on their property.

Of course you could just present yourself poorly, and you really are a
reasonable person who is willing to view things from other perspectives.
But that's not who we're seeing.

That may be what you are seeing, but that's not the response I got from most
people. I have already agreed to trim the vines, for example - a point that
you continually overlook. And I have not objected to most of the people who
said I should remove the plants. But then, those are the people who said it
politely - without the personal attacks.

Nice chatting with you. Have a nice day!

Old 11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Jeana

Michelle C wrote:
But now I'm wondering who is right, and who is wrong, in this
situation? Am I right to think my neighbors are cranky?

I think the gracious thing to do is take the vine out. It doesn't really
matter which one of you is the crank.

Jean
Zone 5 Ohio
Go Tribe!

Replies to newsgroup only

Old 11-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Dennis Edward

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Yes, Janet, I asked for opinions. I did not however ask for people who
know nothing about me to rudely criticize me for being an "unreasonable
person".

Thanks anyway, and have a terrific day

Urgh! Actually, he didn't accuse you of being an unreasonable person. He
suggested that your neighbours might *think* you were. There was no
suggestion or even implication that they might be right. Actually, judging
by their suggestion that you go into their yard and trim the vine, they
sound a little loopy anyway, so maybe they believe 3 or 4 ridiculous things
before lunch.