Old 08-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Doug Kanter

"Hemmaholic" wrote in message
oups.com...
Giselle,

Where in Central Indiana are you? I also live in "Central Indiana",
about 25 mile NW of Indy and I have a few small "Butterfly Bush"
Budleia plants I started from cuttings last fall. I really do not have
a place to put them all and you are welcome to a few of them. I have,
simply put, dark purple, pink and pale lavender rooted cuttings. If
you're interested, email me at

Hemma

PS

Ever notice how quickly the "water table" drops after a day of no rain
or water!

Question: My new house came with a butterfly bush that was 6' tall last
autumn. The upper 75% didn't survive winter, so I trimmed it way down and
now it's making lots of nice, green growth. It looks to me like it could be
pinched back to make it bushier. Have you done that with yours at all?

Old 08-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"Hemmaholic" wrote in message
oups.com...
Giselle,

Where in Central Indiana are you? I also live in "Central Indiana",
about 25 mile NW of Indy and I have a few small "Butterfly Bush"
Budleia plants I started from cuttings last fall. I really do not have
a place to put them all and you are welcome to a few of them. I have,
simply put, dark purple, pink and pale lavender rooted cuttings. If
you're interested, email me at

Check your email!

Ever notice how quickly the "water table" drops after a day of no rain
or water!

We have some areas where the clay cap is close to the surface so some areas
stay pretty wet all the time. That's usually the spot I pick to plant the
wrong stuff.

Giselle (meanwhile, the stuff that likes damp ground? Oh, I planted that
out on the hilltop in an unshaded area)

Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

I have a question: is there any chance that the wildflowers that were mowed
down before their prime might still grow again and bloom this year? Or did
I really lose everything when the Mad Mower struck? If they won't grow
back, I'm going to fix him. I'm going to plant pumpkin vines there instead.
Let's see how he likes looking at THAT all summer.

Giselle (do you think the "accidental" mowing had anything to do with the
fact that he things all perenials are "weeds" and my Tiger Lillies are just
"roadside weeds"?)

For those of you playing along at home, here's what happened:

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote
Well, here's a sad follow-up: my niece's husband mowed down all my
wildflowers yesterday. The ones I started from seed by hauling buckets of
water up from the pond to keep them moist while they were germinating.
The ones that were just getting buds on them. And the ones I bought from
the greenhouse that we've been discussing. Apparently, being a lover of
annuals bought at Walmart, if he doesn't see petunias and impatients, he
just mows it all down.

Oh, yeah, he even zig-zagged over and got my rhubarb. AND he threw some
rocks (that were marking the wildflower boundries) over into the
established garden and crushed my iris' that haven't bloomed yet.

Giselle (I guess I must have ****ed Mr. Passive-Aggresive off about
something )

Old 09-06-2005, 06:57 PM

If the basal rosette of the wildflower remains then there is a good
chance of them blooming later than normal.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

Forget I asked about regrowth. I just looked at the garden. There's
nothing but stubble out there. Boy, now I'm going to the greenhouse and
this is gonna cost him. I'll teach him to mow down my wildflowers!

Old 09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Doug Kanter

I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas tank that results
in enormous damage, and a similar repair bill. Does anyone else remember?

Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Toni

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas tank that

results
in enormous damage, and a similar repair bill. Does anyone else remember?

Karma...

I understand the frustration- how about just billing him for the new
plants??

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 09-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas tank that

results
in enormous damage, and a similar repair bill. Does anyone else remember?

Karma...

I understand the frustration- how about just billing him for the new
plants??

But then he won't feel guilty. I think my niece told him, in no uncertain
terms, that he MUST feel guilty because I haven't seen him around since the
Slaying o' the Wildflowers.

Truth be told, I did rip off the front end of his riding mower in a tragic
ditch/mower/tractor-pull-oops-pushed! incident last year (I swear it was an
accident!) so maybe I really don't need to further damage his tractor.

Oh, but did I mention these wildflowers were planted on my Irish Wolfhound's
GRAVE??? And the rock he threw in the iris patch was her tombstone?
Really. I'm not making this up.

Later tonight I shall be sitting out there trying to be brave but silently
weeping... for hours.*

Giselle (going for the sympathy mileage...)

*or as long as they can see me

Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 PM
enigma

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas
tank that results in enormous damage, and a similar repair
bill. Does anyone else remember?

sugar.
or a ping pong ball... that works in cars. causes intermittant
stalling. you'd need something a bit smaller for a mower.

draining the oil from the mower does wonders for the engine
also.
lee
Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas tank that results
in enormous damage, and a similar repair bill. Does anyone else remember?

Sugar is one.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 10-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas
tank that results in enormous damage, and a similar repair
bill. Does anyone else remember?

sugar.
or a ping pong ball... that works in cars. causes intermittant
stalling. you'd need something a bit smaller for a mower.

draining the oil from the mower does wonders for the engine
also.
lee

And a wee pint or two of linseed oil in the engine helps it out ever so
much...

Giselle (please don't ask me how I know that)

Old 10-06-2005, 03:06 AM
zxcvbob

"Fragile Warrior" Volfie wrote:
""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

wrote in message
groups.com...

It self sows nicely, feeds bumblebees and skipper butterflies, makes a
nice addition to iced tea. Supposed to be a good honeybee plant but
mine tend to ignore it, might be something better blooming at the same
time.

Great. I need indestructable plants. So far only my mints are thriving
nicely. Everything else seems to be a struggle here. (Central Indiana in
mostly clay soil that tends to either be bone dry or have a water table
that's 1/8" below the surface.)

I can't wait to see it bloom now.

Giselle

Well, here's a sad follow-up: my niece's husband mowed down all my
wildflowers yesterday. The ones I started from seed by hauling buckets of
water up from the pond to keep them moist while they were germinating. The
ones that were just getting buds on them. And the ones I bought from the
greenhouse that we've been discussing. Apparently, being a lover of annuals
bought at Walmart, if he doesn't see petunias and impatients, he just mows
it all down.

Oh, yeah, he even zig-zagged over and got my rhubarb. AND he threw some
rocks (that were marking the wildflower boundries) over into the established
garden and crushed my iris' that haven't bloomed yet.

Giselle (I guess I must have ****ed Mr. Passive-Aggresive off about
something )

Did he have permission to be there? (I'm thinking trespassing and
criminal mischief charges.)

Bob
Old 10-06-2005, 03:10 AM
zxcvbob

Doug Kanter wrote:
I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas tank that results
in enormous damage, and a similar repair bill. Does anyone else remember?

You mean by accident, I assume...

Styrofoam should do it if you don't add too much. (Too much would just
ruin the gas tank.)

Bob

Old 10-06-2005, 05:34 AM
Salty Thumb

enigma wrote in news:Xns9670BD367AF65enigmaempirenet@
199.125.85.9:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

I've momentarily forgotten what substance you add to a gas
tank that results in enormous damage, and a similar repair bill. Does
anyone else remember?

sugar.
or a ping pong ball... that works in cars. causes intermittant
stalling. you'd need something a bit smaller for a mower.

draining the oil from the mower does wonders for the engine
also.
lee

Despite the WWII stories you may have heard, sugar isn't soluable in
gasoline and isn't likely to get past even a crappy small engine fuel
filter. At best you'll clog the fuel filter which hardly counts for
enormous damage. Putting sugar in the air filter cavity is a different
story.

Did you all sleep through eco-terrorism class or something?

(Sorry to hear about your wildflowers. On behalf of men everywhere, all
I can say is "Me Ogg. Make fire" etc.)

[IMG] code is On

when to best prune hyssop Emery Davis[_3_] United Kingdom 4 12-09-2014 10:21 PM
Hyssop invasive? Michael Gardening 6 25-05-2005 03:10 PM
water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 8 23-05-2003 07:08 PM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM