Old 26-03-2007, 03:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Fertilizer and Rain

I live in NJ and recently purchased some Scotts Fertilizer 30-3-4(Blue bag)
from Lowes, the woman working there said that is what's needed for this time
of year. I came home with the Scotts and some Lime and applied both to my
lawn. Later that day it began to drizzle and continued with the light rain
for the remainder of the day. Do I need to re-apply the Scotts or will my
lawn be ok? My second question is what is the next thing I should do for my
lawn?
Thanks

Old 26-03-2007, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim wrote in
:

Peter Pan wrote:

I live in NJ and recently purchased some Scotts Fertilizer
30-3-4(Blue bag) from Lowes, the woman working there said that is
what's needed for this time of year. I came home with the Scotts and
some Lime and applied both to my lawn. Later that day it began to
drizzle and continued with the light rain for the remainder of the
day.

you were so well blessed to receive a light slow drizzling
rain on the very day just after making the fertilizer application.
the water begins the process of breaking the fertilizer down and
making it available to the grass as plant food.

Do I need to re-apply the Scotts or will my
lawn be ok?

no, just go out and brag to all your friends of how you received
a light slow drizzling rain on the very day just after making the
fertilizer application. g

My second question is what is the next thing I should do for my
lawn?

what's your over all objective for your lawn and what type of
grass are you growing?

If you have crabgrass, a crabgrass preventer like Green Light. Should be
applied when the forthisia blooms, because that is an indication of the
soil being warm enough for the crabgrass seeds to begin to germinate. Re
apply one May 15th, because it can germinate in different times on
different parts of your lawn (cooler areas). You might also want to put
down a weed screen product. I use Portrait.

Old 26-03-2007, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I am trying to grow fescue, I had a nice THICK lawn a few years ago. The
Problem as I see it is my neighbor who is LAZY when it comes to yard work
allows his yard to grow anything that will germinate i.e.crab grass, I
think the spoors were able to blow into my yard and I developed a bad crab
grass problem. I never put a crab grass prevention down so I basically
played catch up all summer and needless to say my yard was no longer the
thick beautiful lawn, I had a yard with crab grass.
Should I stay with the Scotts products or change to something else? And
where do I get the Green Light crab grass prevention?
Thanks
"Steve" wrote in message
. 142...
Jim wrote in
:

Old 26-03-2007, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Peter Pan" wrote:
And
where do I get the Green Light crab grass prevention?
Thanks

The same place you bought the fertilizer you just applied. Now is the time
to apply it, btw. See if they have one (pre-emergent crabgrass control)
without fertilizer, if they do, apply it in a week or so. Before another
light drizzle.. :P

Old 26-03-2007, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
GWB GWB is offline

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:19:30 -0500, Jim wrote:

you were so well blessed to receive a light slow drizzling
rain on the very day just after making the fertilizer application.
the water begins the process of breaking the fertilizer down and
making it available to the grass as plant food.

" light slow drizzling rain" wouldda been nice.
I got an inch and half after fertilizing.
Too much of a good thing??
Old 27-03-2007, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
I am trying to grow fescue, I had a nice THICK lawn a few years ago. The
Problem as I see it is my neighbor who is LAZY when it comes to yard work
allows his yard to grow anything that will germinate i.e.crab grass, I
think the spoors were able to blow into my yard and I developed a bad
crab
grass problem. I never put a crab grass prevention down so I basically
played catch up all summer and needless to say my yard was no longer the
thick beautiful lawn, I had a yard with crab grass.
Should I stay with the Scotts products or change to something else? And
where do I get the Green Light crab grass prevention?
Thanks

In your situation, you should probably seed the fescue in the fall and apply
crabgrass preventer in the spring. Either when the forsythia bloom or when
the soil temperatures get above 50f.

You don't want to use a crabgrass preventer until 8 weeks or so after any
fescue seed has been sewn or the pre-emergent will kill the fescue.

If I had a neighbor like yours, I'd just apply pre-emergent to a 10-20'
strip of his yard closest to mine.

KB

Old 27-03-2007, 02:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 26, 8:30 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Peter Pan" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

The better solution would be to have bought a fertilizer with pre-
emergent crabgrass control and applied it mid April. And no need to
worry about rain after fertilizer application. Rain is a good thing,
unless it's some pathological case, like extreme slope and so much
heavy rain that it washes downhill.

Old 27-03-2007, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

GWB wrote:

Jim wrote:

you were so well blessed to receive a light slow drizzling
rain on the very day just after making the fertilizer application.
the water begins the process of breaking the fertilizer down and
making it available to the grass as plant food.

" light slow drizzling rain" wouldda been nice.
I got an inch and half after fertilizing.
Too much of a good thing??

2.5 inches of rain in less than 5 minutes on the day after I broadcast
at the precise rate of 2.5 pounds per 100 square feet. end result was
I'd just as well taken the entire bag to the low spot where the water
ran and dumped it on the ground. grrrrrrrrrr!
Old 27-03-2007, 05:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

The stuff I put down from Scotts says "Turf Builder with Crabgass
Preventer".. Is this a pre-emergent or do I need to get away from Scotts
and get something else?

Old 27-03-2007, 07:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Peter Pan wrote:

The stuff I put down from Scotts says "Turf Builder with Crabgass
Preventer".. Is this a pre-emergent or do I need to get away from Scotts
and get something else?

the product you mention contains a component that will prevent
the crabgrass seed in the soil from germinating. that particular
product will not kill crabgrass that has already germinated and
sprouted, nor will that product have any effect on the various
other types of undesirable broadleaf weed seed resident in your
soil. pre-emergents work by stopping the seed from germinating.
since crabgrass is a hot weather weed, usually the first frost
begins the process of killing the living growing crabgrass. next
years crabgrass crop is the result of the previous years crop
having left seed in the soil.

post emergent selective herbicides are required to kill undesirable
living growing broadleaf weeds. the general rule is not to apply
liquid post emergent selective herbicides after the ambient daily
temperatures have exceeded 80 degrees F and don't apply under drought
conditions.

I use Lesco products on my lawn and in my lawn care business.
Old 27-03-2007, 07:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Peter Pan wrote:

I am trying to grow fescue,

good choice for your growing zone.

I had a nice THICK lawn a few years ago. The
Problem as I see it is my neighbor who is LAZY when it comes to yard work
allows his yard to grow anything that will germinate i.e.crab grass,

that's a common problem I run into with customers living in row houses
where their lawns connect to the neighbors lawn with no hedge or barrier
to reduce the amount of wind blown seed from undesirable plant life.
the solution has been to stay vigilant with the timely deployments of pre
and post emergent herbicides while adhering to a stringent application
schedule.

think the spoors were able to blow into my yard and I developed a bad crab
grass problem. I never put a crab grass prevention down so I basically
played catch up all summer and needless to say my yard was no longer the
thick beautiful lawn, I had a yard with crab grass.

crabgrass will attack and kill fescue.

Should I stay with the Scotts products or change to something else?

I use Lesco on my lawn and in my lawn care business.

Old 28-03-2007, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Well I went to the Local LESCO place today and the guys there were more then
helpful. I brought a handfull of the Crab grass Im growing and not only did
they I.D. it for me, they also told me what I needed to get rid of it as
well as when to apply it. The soil needs to warm up a little more before I
can put it down.
. ..

Old 28-03-2007, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

http://www.lesco.com/
Old 28-03-2007, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Peter Pan" wrote in
:

I am trying to grow fescue, I had a nice THICK lawn a few years ago.
The Problem as I see it is my neighbor who is LAZY when it comes to
yard work allows his yard to grow anything that will germinate
i.e.crab grass, I think the spoors were able to blow into my yard and
I developed a bad crab grass problem. I never put a crab grass
prevention down so I basically played catch up all summer and needless
to say my yard was no longer the thick beautiful lawn, I had a yard
with crab grass. Should I stay with the Scotts products or change to
something else? And where do I get the Green Light crab grass
prevention? Thanks
"Steve" wrote in message
. 142...
Jim wrote in
:

Peter Pan wrote:

[...]

I think I would avoid Scotts. I think the fertilizer especially is a
quick releasing product, which makes your lawn grow super fast in the
spring, then looses it's punch in the summer. I follow a lawn plan by a
local garden nursery near in Northern Maryland called Carroll Gardens.
He has a radio program on from 7-9 here in the Baltimore area on AM680.
His plan includes Turf Trust fertilizer, which is really an awesome
product. I have used it for years now. Once you establish your lawn,
you will only need to feed it 3 times a year, and it will encourage new
growth of your seed, and weeds will be choked out. You can view his
entire year of lawn care at www.carrollgardens.com. I would highly
recomend it.

Greenlight products (along with the Portrait Weed Screen) can be ordered
online at Greenlight's website, or they may be able to tell you where it
is available in your area.
-Steve