Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Kelly Garner

Default Thrips (was Help! What is this??)

In article ,
wrote:
-=-=-=-=-=-
also excellent( and Non-toxic) for thrips (another problem I had with tomato plants
curling at the top growth)

I have tomato leaves in my front yard which are curling at the older leaves - the
tomatoes in the backyard are doing fine. Can thrips be easily identified?

I was nearly certain this was either a calcium deficiency (applied fertilizer and
some lime, no change there [about 3 days ago]) or tomato leaf roll (see
http://gardenline.usask.ca/pests/tomato.html for more info). I've always watered
them regularly every few days and not unevenly. Anyone else have suggestions?

Cheers
KJ
--
---
"We're all given a ticket to the American freak show the day we're born and
Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 PM

The thrips are very tiny and yellowish - if you unroll the leaf and look closely under a
magnifier, you may be able to see them - the manager @ Homewood found one on the leaf
after examining closely! He said the thrips are pretty bad this year , so it is possible
that is what your problem may be as well!

Kelly Garner wrote:

-=-=-=-=-=-

Old 10-06-2004, 11:06 PM

In article , Kelly Garner wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
-=-=-=-=-=-
also excellent( and Non-toxic) for thrips (another problem I had with tomato plants
curling at the top growth)

I have tomato leaves in my front yard which are curling at the older leaves - the
tomatoes in the backyard are doing fine. Can thrips be easily identified?

I was nearly certain this was either a calcium deficiency (applied fertilizer and
some lime, no change there [about 3 days ago]) or tomato leaf roll (see
http://gardenline.usask.ca/pests/tomato.html for more info). I've always watered
them regularly every few days and not unevenly. Anyone else have suggestions?

You may be watering too frequently unless these are in a container. I
water each plant 3-5 gallons per week where we don't get an inch of rain.

It could be wilt. Generally nothing can be done about that and the
plant will probably die.

Cheers
KJ

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
wrote:
You may be watering too frequently unless these are in a container. I
water each plant 3-5 gallons per week where we don't get an inch of rain.

I'm doing about the same; these are in the ground in the front yard (lots of sun,
not bad soil, etc). Doing the same with the ones in the back yard and they are fine.

It could be wilt. Generally nothing can be done about that and the
plant will probably die.

I'll post a picture tomorrow - I was going to take a leaf clipping and bring it to
someone to diagnose. Stunted growth, though, which leads me to think it's a virus
and not a bug, though./

Cheers
KJ
--
---
Old 11-06-2004, 03:07 PM

wrote:
You may be watering too frequently unless these are in a container. I
water each plant 3-5 gallons per week where we don't get an inch of rain.

I'm doing about the same; these are in the ground in the front yard (lots of sun,
not bad soil, etc). Doing the same with the ones in the back yard and they are fine.

It could be wilt. Generally nothing can be done about that and the
plant will probably die.

I'll post a picture tomorrow - I was going to take a leaf clipping and bring it to
someone to diagnose. Stunted growth, though, which leads me to think it's a virus
and not a bug, though./

Cheers
KJ

Please don't post a binary image to this text NG, just post the url.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
wrote:

Please don't post a binary image to this text NG, just post the url.

Really! Duh. Thank, Wes, I would *never* *have* *known*.

KJ
--
---
Old 11-06-2004, 07:04 PM

wrote:

Please don't post a binary image to this text NG, just post the url.

Really! Duh. Thank, Wes, I would *never* *have* *known*.

KJ

Some don't which is why I decided to state the obvious. It was done
recently and by a regular not a spammer.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Sandie Hudson

Just get a decent modern newsreader and then you can see all the pretty
pictures with no problem.

Sandie

. ..

Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 PM

In article , Sandie Hudson wrote:
Just get a decent modern newsreader and then you can see all the pretty
pictures with no problem.

Sandie

Just because it is modern does not mean it is better. SLRN works just
fine. Some still use TRN.

See Kelly what I mean about newbies. You knew better than to post
images here, but some still do not.

I don't want to see the picture here. I want to see words here. You
miss the point.

There is a usenet convention and text is on most ng and binaries have
their own ng or people put the binary in a url and post the url. Many
new serers purge files based on size so binary in text means the usefull
information may get purged faster.

. ..

Old 13-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Sandie Hudson

Just because it is modern does not mean it is better. SLRN works just
fine. Some still use TRN.

See Kelly what I mean about newbies. You knew better than to post
images here, but some still do not.

I am not a newbie.

I work with computers everyday. I have for almost 25 years now. And I
generally find that in the world of computers new is better. I work on the
bleeding edge of todays technologies. I remember puch cards. We wouldn't
want that nowadays would we? And I see no reason to stick with yesterday's
conventions.

So you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this.

Sandie

Old 13-06-2004, 07:08 PM

In article , Sandie Hudson wrote:
Just because it is modern does not mean it is better. SLRN works just
fine. Some still use TRN.

See Kelly what I mean about newbies. You knew better than to post
images here, but some still do not.

I am not a newbie.

I work with computers everyday. I have for almost 25 years now. And I
generally find that in the world of computers new is better. I work on the
bleeding edge of todays technologies. I remember puch cards. We wouldn't
want that nowadays would we? And I see no reason to stick with yesterday's
conventions.

So you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this.

Sandie

Punch cards huh? Could you tell the difference between an IBM026 and
IBM029 keypunch

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

Thrips on African Violets Michael Singmin Gardening 16 01-04-2004 02:09 PM
yellow sticky strips for thrips? Bette Noir Gardening 0 15-01-2004 10:02 AM
yellow sticky strips for thrips? animaux Gardening 4 15-01-2004 05:02 AM
Controlling Thrips bk Orchids 5 14-05-2003 06:08 PM
Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 02:32 PM