Old 30-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Dave Sheehy

K Barrett ) wrote:
: Yeah, I have trouble with them too. (the Vascostylises) I'll try Kenni's
: air-layering tehnique and see if this works. I've been tempted to try it in
: the past, and just to chicken or lazy to proceed.

Thanks Kay. I'm thinking about hitting mine a little harder and longer with
the Superthrive. The poor thing has almost no roots and basically hasn't
grown any since I got it a couple of years ago.

I'm tempted to just pot the thing up in Aliflor since that seems to work so
well but I'm out of counter space. So if it comes down, something's gotta go
up (as in hanging in a basket or on a mount)!

: Fingers crossed

Yea verily.

Dave

Old 30-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Kenni Judd

I think that might depend on which and how much Rhynchostylis is in the
ancestry. Rhy. gigantea is one that find does better in pots with medium
than bare in the basket. Kenni

"Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
Kenni Judd ) wrote:
: Hi, K: Although most of our vandaceous are grown without medium, there
are
: few that seem to need a little. I've not grown V. Paki, so can't speak
: specifically to that one, but I would not recommend heavy feeding for
any
: "sick" plant. Humidity, yes, the more the better, and a root stimulant
: would not be a bad thing.

Hi Kenni,

I have the same problem as Kay except it's with a Vascostylus and not a
Vanda.
I sprayed it with a single application of Superthrive but nothing
happened.
That's been a successful trick I've used in the past on other orchids to
stimulate root development but it didn't work here. It seems like applying
the Superthrive for a longer period of time is what has worked for you.

I'm also wondering if there's anything unique about Vascostylus
culture-wise
that distinguishes them from other Vandids? It sure seems a lot more
stubborn
than my other Vandas and Ascdas.

Dave

Old 30-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Kenni Judd

Bryan: There are lots of culture sites out there, and of course everyone
has their own ways of doing things. But what works for us is posted at
http://www.jborchids.com/culture.html
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Bryan" wrote in message
Thanks Kenni:

I didn't realize "spray the roots until they turn green" great tip.
Humidity probably averages around 60%, probably more that winter is coming
since I will have the window closed all the time, so i think I will
experiment hanging without baskets.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Dave Sheehy

Reka ) wrote:
: In article ,
: says...
: Bryan ) wrote:
: : Hi Kenni:
:
: : I am in Western Canada, Vancouver more specifically. Weather is very much
: : like Seattle . I have my orchids growing in an enclosed balconey. Humidity
: : ranges from 45-75%, thanks to a aquarium close by. Temp ranges from 80 to 60
: : degrees. Lighting is by a North window and supplementd by a 400 watt Metal
: : Halide.
:
: Bryan,
:
: I grow Vandas indoors like you and I have a couple of them potted up in
: Aliflor (which is an expanded clay product). The Aliflor holds just the
: right amount of moisture around the roots so they don't rot. It's difficult
: to provide the quantity of moisture they need when mounted in a basket
: indoors. I have a couple of Vandas that are in baskets and they are a lot
: harder to maintain than the potted ones. Root development is significantly
: greater in the potted Vandas versus the ones in baskets.
:
: Dave
:
:
: Dave, can you post pics on ABPO?

I can't. I do have a digital camera so I can easily get an image. I just have
to figure out how to get it somewhere where folks can view it. Does anyone
know how the Nikkon photo upload site works? I'm currently using the Nikkon
SW to upload my pictures to my PC and it can upload from there to the Nikkon
web site. Not having performed the latter I just don't know how well that part
works. Hopefully it doesn't work like Snapfish which requires you to supply
a distribution list of folks you want to share your photos with.

: Are they in actual pots, or in
: something airier? Gee, I hope you are still online, 'cause I am too
: curious to wait until you wake up!!! I need a solution for mine!

They are in regular (as in non-orchid) glazed ceramic pots so they aren't
airy at all. I mixed a small amount of CHC (for moisture retention) in with
the Aliflor but based on my examination of the interior of the mix it's not
needed and I will eliminate it next time around.

Dave

Old 01-10-2005, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

Reply to Kenni rooting my V Paki, OK I've air layered the stem with
moss, fingers crossed this'll work. (betting it will). Thanks for kicking
me in the butt to try this technique, LOL!

K Barrett

Old 03-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Dave Sheehy

Kenni Judd ) wrote:
: I think that might depend on which and how much Rhynchostylis is in the
: ancestry. Rhy. gigantea is one that find does better in pots with medium
: than bare in the basket. Kenni

It's Vascostylis Nong Kham 'viroj' from Kawamoto Orchids.

Dave

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...

Old 06-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Dave Sheehy

Dave Sheehy ) wrote:
: OK, here we go. I signed up at a photo hosting site and have managed to
: upload a bunch of pictures to it.

Do you think it would help if I supplied the URL? I thought so, here it is:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b250/dbsheehy/

Dave