Old 18-03-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

Default What newsreaders do people use?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:17:33 -0500 in danny wrote:
I haven't used "vi" in ages. Great for search and replace on text files. I
loved being able to use regular expressions.

I like 'vi'. It's available on everything I use except for MVS and VM/CMS
and behaves the same and works in low bandwidth environments.

And XEDIT and that horrid MVS editor work okay for the
little bit I have to do in those environments.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 18-03-2006, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:11:53 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Dave, send me a copy of the article when you get it done.

Please, please, please.

K Barrett

One more for Agent. Althought Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird do the
work other then ABPO and RGO.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 18-03-2006, 10:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Kathy, I'll do that. I'm no expert though. It's just that when I mention
newsgroups at our society meetings I get lots of blank looks, with a few who nod
understandingly. So I felt someone had to bite the bullet. Specially since
most of them know far more about orchids than I (*not* false modesty), and a
couple of them could be really helpful here on Aussie orchids if they chose to
be involved. (Oops - I'm thinking of ANOS eligible plants especially, and the
epiphytes/lithophytes in particular. I just realised what a slight the previous
remark was to some of our Aussie contributors from down south.)

The article will be pretty basic - what usenet is & how it works from the user
perspective; what's involved in selecting & accessing newsgroups; what's
involved in setting up a "typical" newsreader - if there's any such thing; a bit
on netiquette.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:11:53 -0800, "K Barrett" wrote:

Dave, send me a copy of the article when you get it done.

Please, please, please.

K Barrett

"unknown" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Gillingham wrote:

I'm planning to write an article on the orchid newsgroups, & usenet in
general,
for our society newsletter. What newsreaders do you all like?
Dave Gillingham

mtnewswatcher on a granny smith. does the job ok but has some weird
quirks--for instance, it has made the header list for this group (and
*only* this group) come out in, like, 1 point type. i i swear i didn't
touch any of the settings...

but hey it's free.

--j_a

Dave Gillingham

Old 18-03-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Also Dave, The setting of a false addy, not sure how it's done, I
get help & don't write it down. This stops a tremendous amount of
junk mail. Ever notice if you sign up for a new NewsGroup you start
getting more junk mail.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

wrote:

Dave, send me a copy of the article when you get it done.

Please, please, please.

K Barrett

Old 18-03-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:28:56 +1000 in Dave Gillingham wrote:
[...]

Ah, you want to read through RFC-1855.

Old 18-03-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 06:40:02 -0800 in pYUSf.42941$V27.33588@fed1read06 wendy7 wrote:
Also Dave, The setting of a false addy, not sure how it's done, I
get help & don't write it down. This stops a tremendous amount of
junk mail. Ever notice if you sign up for a new NewsGroup you start
getting more junk mail.

The first spams don't show up until you first post to a newsgroup :-).

More importantly is setting up a "false" address that does not violate
the AUP for your ISP.
Changing the part to the right of the @ may be construed as impersonating
someone at another ISP.
IE, if I used my ISP or my dad's ISP could receive complaints
about me from the folks at acme.com.
Changing the left hand side could land you on someone else's account,
another violation.

Doing something like
has the benefit of
being within the AUP, and having the mail addressed to a machine
that doesn't receive mail.
has the additional benefit of being addressed
to a box that isn't even running.

Old 18-03-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Thanks for explaining Chris, have a question tho.
How would I change my addy after the @??? cox.net

Old 18-03-2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:07:57 -0800 in JeWSf.42943$V27.31741@fed1read06 wendy7 wrote:
Thanks for explaining Chris, have a question tho.
How would I change my addy after the @??? cox.net

What to set it to, or how to set it?

lakensec02.cox.net looks good from a casual glance.
(Started with the IP addresses of DNS servers and found hosts
that reverse resolved and lacked MX records).

Actually what would be more appropriate for most of these folks is
to create a 2 hotmail accounts.
1)
2)

Never actually read anything sent to
, but have
that as the from address for USENET.
It's a win win situation, you get less spam, and microsoft gets more
spam.
As for setting it in OE, no clue. My use of M$ products is pretty
much what management directs me to use, or IE long enough to grab
a copy of putty :-).

Old 18-03-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Thanks Dave. I'd think most of our societies have similar situations.
Knowledgeable people who just don't know how to work the internet to best
advantage.

If I may add my 2 cents, I think what stops people from using Usenet is
that you have to ask your ISP what their news server is. Which necessitates
yet another phone call to customer support, which takes time on hold...

But once set up I've always been amazed at the number of groups that exist.
When I started (12/95) there were a few thousand groups, like 5000 or so.
Now there are over 12,000 last time I looked. I only subscribe to one other
Usenet group - a mystery newsgroup, but I know there are ones on science
fiction, books in general, any rock star or celebrity you care to name,
engineering, universities. You name it. I've lurked in the one on growing
marijuana because they know so much about getting plants to bud under
lights. They are a skittish bunch, and if you aren't 'known' they don't
answer you. (They also know alot about computer privacy and encryption).
*G*

Speaking of ANOS, Tony Wakinson (Perth area) lurks here occasionally

wrote:

Dave, send me a copy of the article when you get it done.

Please, please, please.

K Barrett

Old 18-03-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

You just change your name in your preferences, or where ever you set up your
ID in the 1st place.

I have email addresses at places like hotmail for all online communications.
I rarely if ever read it, so hotmail just keeps deleting the spam as it gets
old.

Old 18-03-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
unknown

In article ,
"K Barrett" wrote:

But once set up I've always been amazed at the number of groups that exist.
When I started (12/95) there were a few thousand groups, like 5000 or so.
Now there are over 12,000 last time I looked.

giga is telling me it has 105,000+ groups listed. but who knows how many
of them are actual live groups anymore...

i used to be acquainted with a woman who started in all this innernet
stuff very early on; she used to download the entire usenet feed every
day (on some 2400 baud modem or something). it took, like, an hour.
when it started taking 24 hours to download 24 hours' worth of postings,
she stopped doing it.

--j_a
Old 18-03-2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Most people don't have a clue what a RFC is. I think I looked at one back
when I was in school.
-danny

rg...

Old 19-03-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:46:58 -0500 in danny wrote:
Most people don't have a clue what a RFC is. I think I looked at one back
when I was in school.

http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
for the netiquette RFC.

It used to be standard for any aspect of ARPAnet then the Internet that
would see a fair amount of use to be documented and discussed in
a Request For Comments.

Newsreaders Sue[_9_] United Kingdom 12 29-05-2012 08:28 AM
People Helping People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [email protected] Ponds 0 11-06-2008 04:03 AM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Gardening 1 01-12-2004 10:52 PM
Do people use UV lights? April1201 Ponds 13 04-07-2003 04:32 PM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM