Old 24-03-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Default What do you feed your orchids?

I been reading some of the online articles on what to give your
orchids, I understand that it varies by what medium you have them in,
but I was wondering what others fed their orchids

I am currently giving mine Superthrive, gubler orchid food (19-8-16 +
1%Mg, .01 B, .05 Cu, .1 Fe, .5 Mg, .005 Mo, .05 Zn) Pure blend (7%
humic acid). with tap water (glacer run off - they bottle the muni
water and sell it to tourist visiting Alaska)

All my orchids seem to be doing well (except for the 2 ******* childern
in my previos post)

I would love to know what others are feeding their orchids.

Jack

Old 24-03-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

I'm currently using the MSU fertilizer formulation most of the time, with an
occasional dose of an organic fertilizer, calcium nitrate, epsom salts or
leftover DynaGro. I've never used a fertilizer with "Orchid" in the name.
The important thing is to make sure you give them something with
micronutrients, Calcium, and Magnesium occasionally. If they're doing fine
with your current growing regime then there isn't much need for you to
change it. Bloom booster fertilizers are probably useless, if you have a
species that requires a drop in nitrogen to bloom then just fertilize it
less for a while.
-danny

oups.com...

Old 24-03-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

I started out using Peters 20-20-20 with micronutrients, and then switched
to Dyna Gro. Haven't tried the MSU formula, but lots of people here love it.
Since Dyna Gro is generally not available unless I either go somewhat far
afield or order it (shipping costs add up that way), I recently went back to
Peters. After several years of using DynaGro I just didn't see a difference
in plant performance. Mind, that is anecdotal, based on my experience only.

Diana

Old 25-03-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I am of the belief that 1) orchid nutrient demand has nothing to do with
the medium, and 2) the formula is not necessarily all that critical as long
as you provide the right balance of nutrients - including macros, micros and
trace elements - and provide enough, but not too much. Controlling the pH
is possibly more important.

Back before folks understood orchid culture as well as we (claim to) do
today, it was typical to go several years between repotting. In that time,
the microorganisms that break down the bark also consumed a great deal of
nitrogen, hence the high-N fertilizer formulas. With the various media used
today, coupled with the more-frequent repotting to avoid decomposition, that
is far less of an issue, if it is one at all.

If you are lucky enough to have a really good supply of osmunda fiber, its
decomposition will release lots of nitrogen, so maybe one should adjust in
that case.

Old 25-03-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

I'm using 'Bill's Best' fertilizer from Bill Thoms of bulbophyllum fame.
and I'm adding some seaweed extract (available at any garden center) and a
bit of iron. Personally out of all that i feel (no science involved) that
the seaweed extract has done the most difference.

Failing all that rigamarole, if one used a pelletized fertilizer, something
like nutricoat, one would get a benefit.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 25-03-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Failing all that rigamarole, if one used a pelletized fertilizer,
something like nutricoat, one would get a benefit.

Forgot to mention that. I use Dynamite 13-13-13 in addition to the Peters.

Diana

Old 25-03-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Ray, what about metabloic enhancers like Humic acid or Fulvic acid, I
know that they increase utilization of nutrients (www.Humates.com has
some good research papers) and are supposed to increase growth, drought
/ heat resistance etc, and hopefully flower size.

Jack

Old 25-03-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I suppose they may have benefits, but I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to
say one way or another. I do know that back when I was developing my own
version of SuperThrive, I added humic acid - among other ingredients - and
it was better, but I cannot definitively attribute the difference to that
alone.

oups.com...

Old 26-03-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

I am pretty new with orchids and find all these postings helpful. Right
now I avoid Urea N, have some fish extract and seaweed extract, Using a
Orchid fert. with micros galore and serving all this up in a very weak
solution, a little less than 1/2 the recommended. Who knows, it may
work.
My big problems have been pots and plant stakes as I am using SemiHydro
and that makes tall plants top heavy. Plastic pots are simply not heavy
enough. So, I am using Epoxy to glue the clay saucer to the clay pot. I
drill the pot or grind out a pathwayfor the water to drain from pot to
saucer. I also Epoxy a plant support rod (#10 solid copper wire) to the
pot for a plant support. You can see that this is not for a production
operation but it has been fun. Hope it works. At least my plants don't
blow over with every passing breeze and I can see that the clay pot is
wet or dry!
Julysun in Baytown TX

Old 26-03-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

If you need or want more info on S/H go to http://www.firstrays.com/ ,
or shout out for Ray. My only question is how are your orchids
doing?

Jack

Old 27-03-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Beginning to show signs of life. My Oncs are putting out new pbulbs,
two Catts are also. One Catt is in recovery from a slug attack, one
just sitting around after blooming. One still in bloom in my kitchen
sink, makes washing dishes tough but the plant gets light, humidity and
is warm. That one I bought in bloom. The one that has bloomed out came
from Hawaii in bloom and this year it bloomed again, even with me
trying to learn how to keep it! Two Epis are starting to green up and
putting out new growth, these are rescuees from a neglected garden.
They are in coconut lined hanging baskets, in African Violet dirt cut
with sand. One Epi cutting from Ebay is in Jacks S\H as are all my
orchids. Everything is outside under a big bush that scatters the
afternoon sun. When it gets hot I have a mister to help cool them.
Some if not all my posts are for review as this sounds easy from the
instructions but, it ain't easy! Except for the fact that orchids grow
and die slowly I would be out of the game! ;-))
Joe T
Baytown, TX.

Old 28-03-2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

You might be able to help your outside orchids by throwing slugg bait,
or planting marygolds (sluggs are supposed to be repelled by them) or
planting sacifical plants (not to close, don't want the orchids eaten
too)

I'm growing mine in S/H inside in a wire shelving unit (like in
restraunt kitchens) under light in plastic because I live in Alaska and
humidty is hard to keep above 25% with a humidfier.

That being said my wife is waiting for me to build another unit or
green house or something because she figures that I'll find another
orchid that I "have to have" and I'm out of space.

S/H is fun because you can play a bit more with the plant and see the
roots. Though I was thinking that the way you made the pots would be
good for display, as S/H isn't the most attractive potting arangement

Jack

Old 28-03-2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Do you have any Epiphyllums in SH? I have some wild ones (supposedly)
in violet dirt and sand and am starting two Epis that I got off Ebay.
The Ebay cuttings are in SH but those things grow so slowly that it
will take a long time to prove the concept. Ray at Firsr Rays said that
Epis do very well in SH, we'll see ;-)). Read on one "Master Gardener"
site that the cuttings should be planted up side down. Well, will try
that later. Right now I am looking for a compost activator to make a
tea for feeding my plants.
This forum has been a real help in learning about orchid culture. I
also do roses and that forum has been great, as well as those on
GARDENWEB. Years ago the rec.garden.roses was real active but the
Flamers ruined it. Never has fully recovered, a real shame. Some little
ole sweetheart would ask a question and be attacked for DAYS! Anyway,
thanks for the chat.
Joe T
PS; For some time I failed to find my old posts and the replies, but
have found that doing a search for my name brings up my old posts
easily. Now I can find answers to my questions! The Instructions should
note that.

Old 29-03-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Yes, epiphyllums do great in S/H.

I got a cutting from my Mom - which was a cutting from a plant I had in
college many, many moons ago - and literally jammed it into the medium. In
a few weeks it started growing, and now I have to cut that sucker back!

oups.com...

Old 29-03-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

What are Epiphyllums

Orchid Cactus?

Jack