Old 22-08-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Home Depot ...........

Ah, yes. The wenches! You *do* realize that anyone coming into this board
for the first time will think we are all completely insane, correct?

But then, who's to argue?

Diana

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:09:45 -0700, Diana Kulaga wrote
(in article ):

Drive out and see "Al?" Who, what and *where* is Al? ???

Al Pickrel is our resident alien being/orchid seller, complete with
aluminum
foil antennae.

....and don't forget his wenches.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 22-08-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:38:46 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Ah, yes. The wenches! You *do* realize that anyone coming into this board
for the first time will think we are all completely insane, correct?

But then, who's to argue?

Diana

But it is also proof of EXACTLY how long this core has held up. If
there were no inside jokes - - there would be no long timers.

Old 22-08-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It is a Canadian version of Home Depot.

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

Who or what is Rona/Revy?

Old 23-08-2007, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

I know that I have the piece of paper that assures me that I am very very
sane (does that mean that I am IN-Sane???)

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
You mean we're not all nuts? Could've fooled me!

Diana

. ..

Old 24-08-2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

Drive out and see "Al?" Who, what and *where* is Al? ???

http://www.orchidexchange.com/

You're kidding right? That's like 500 miles from where I live. :-O

Old 24-08-2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Drive out and see "Al?" Who, what and *where* is Al? ???

Al Pickrel is our resident alien being/orchid seller, complete with
aluminum foil antennae.

500 miles is a long drive for us. :-)

Old 24-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

Those questions about "Al" are important ones; who what and where. I am
still looking for the answers and "Al" is approaching 50. For a while
there, I did think I had a handle on *where* he was, but that turned out to
be erroneous.

I used to think that the size of the greenhouse and the variety of plants,
their prices, sizes, etc, were viewed favorably in an inverse proportion to
the distance and time driven to get here. I usually ask people where they
have come from, especially when they remark on how far they have come.
Often, it seems those who live nearby, within 45 minutes or so, believe they
have had a long drive and wonder disappointedly why don't see any large
white Phals like they saw at Home Depot. On the other side of the spectrum
are the people who show up from New York or Tennessee and spend several
hours combing through things and leave with a back seat full of plants
telling me they "enjoyed the drive" and repeating an often heard criticism
"I didn't see most of this stuff on the online catalog."

But, I do agree with you about those 500 miles; too far. Personally I
wouldn't drive more than about half an hour to see an orchid greenhouse as
big as the one I have in my own backyard.

Wherever thou doth find a wench capable of hoisting a 600 pound greenhouse
heater 16 feet into the air there too shall I be.

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

. ..

Old 24-08-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

Drive out and see "Al?" Who, what and *where* is Al? ???

http://www.orchidexchange.com/

You're kidding right? That's like 500 miles from where I live. :-O

You asked who Al was. I answered.

K Barrett

Old 24-08-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

-giggle-

as i recall, the advice to go see al was hypothetically given to
someone in gene's area; correct me if i'm wrong, but gene is also in
al's area i think, so not that far out of the question. back when
kensington was in business i would occasionally tell people browsing
the local home depot (aspen hill) that they should boogie down the
road a few miles and go see merritt.*

now i admit that i *have* driven 500 miles to see an orchid
greenhouse; it was, of course, on the way to or from several other
things i was going to see, too, though.

i'd like to go see pat's place but at the moment can't think of
anyplace else out in her neighborhood i'd like to go....

--j_a

* and for those who remember kensington orchids, i drove past there
several weeks ago, and it's now occupied by some 15-20 HUGE houses on
itty bitty lots. the street is called red orchid way. -eye roll-

hope merritt at least got a TON of money for the property....

Old 24-08-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

500 miles is a long drive for us. :-)

I think Gene was making a comparison to his situation, and thinking there
must be some *real* orchid sellers in your area too.......The farthest we've
driven for orchids is about 150 miles, from home to the Redland Festival.
Not to be missed if you're ever in Homestead in May. It's like orchid
Nirvana!

Diana

Old 24-08-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Al" wrote in message news:uKAzi.8100$ze.6412@trnddc07...
On the other side of the spectrum
are the people who show up from New York or Tennessee and spend several
hours combing through things and leave with a back seat full of plants
telling me they "enjoyed the drive" and repeating an often heard criticism
"I didn't see most of this stuff on the online catalog."

Some folks do indeed enjoy long drives. Others of course do not. A 500
mile trip for us is more than either of us (we're both seniors) care to
take. Then there is the expense for gas and an overnight stay at a hotel.
When retired and living on a limited income, these things have to be
considered.

Old 24-08-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
500 miles is a long drive for us. :-)

I think Gene was making a comparison to his situation, and thinking there
must be some *real* orchid sellers in your area too......

We're in the Nashville area and only found one place, and it's by
appointment only. I don't like that idea in case we can't make it or do
make it and don't see anything we want. I don't want to feel obligated to
buy a plant because the owner was inconvenienced. Another thing I find
really annoying is when someone follows you around and you're tripping over
them trying to look at their wares.

..The farthest we've
driven for orchids is about 150 miles, from home to the Redland Festival.
Not to be missed if you're ever in Homestead in May. It's like orchid
Nirvana!

We might consider 150 miles if the place was really large and the prices
reasonable. But 500+ miles one-way is out of the question.

Diana

Sodium Grow Light from Home Depot MC Gardening 9 14-04-2011 06:06 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Rose bushes at Home Depot Mceezee Gardening 7 15-05-2003 02:56 AM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 12:45 AM
whats' the chroma 50 bulb from wall mart or home depot Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:15 AM