Old 17-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Greenhouse ideas?

I'll be building a greenhouse this spring. Michelle said no new
tractor, so I'm getting a greenhouse instead. I'll build it from
scratch, just because I'm an ornery cuss and cheap to boot. Soliciting
all (most) information about suppliers of good greenhouse building
materials. Or if anybody knows of a few good websites or newsgroups,
that would help too. I'll spend all winter drawing pictures.

Rob (Finally has his homework done. I is a semi-official probationary
orchid judge - assuming they approve me at the next trustees meeting).

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 17-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:35:43 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote:

Rob (Finally has his homework done. I is a semi-official probationary
orchid judge - assuming they approve me at the next trustees meeting).

Congratulations - on both counts.
SuE
Old 17-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Wendy

Congratulations Rob & kudo's to Michelle.

Just remember your rules Rob, so what ever size you plan on,
build it BIGGER! *g*

Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 18-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Myrmecodia

Rob Halgren wrote in message ...
I'll be building a greenhouse this spring. Michelle said no new
tractor, so I'm getting a greenhouse instead. I'll build it from
scratch, just because I'm an ornery cuss and cheap to boot. Soliciting
all (most) information about suppliers of good greenhouse building
materials. Or if anybody knows of a few good websites or newsgroups,
that would help too. I'll spend all winter drawing pictures.

Rob,

Check out http://www.sundancesupply.com

I used their design guide extensively, although I did add additional
bracing to prepare for the inevitable hurricanes.

I used pressure-treated 2x4's and 8 mm polycarbonate for construction.
The pressure treated lumber because it was cheaper than redwood or
cedar, and the polycarb because it won't break when tree branches fall
on it.

Since you are in the great white north, you might want to build a
solid, insulated north wall. If you can get hold of a nail gun, it
will greatly speed up construction of the frame.

email me at nplummer[at]duke[dot]edu if you want to see pictures of
the greenhouse at various stages of construction.

Regards,
Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 18-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Since you are in the great white north, you might want to build a

solid, insulated north wall.

I might suggest a close look at double wall polycarb panels
considering the great white north location, bwdik. I can highly
recomend the polycarb panels.

bb

Actually I was planning on using my 30x40' pole barn as a north
wall. So that is covered. Not insulated, but I may add some thermal
mass to it. I'd just as soon use triple wall as anything else, but I
may go with inflated poly. Somebody told me that inflated poly has an
R-value better than the walls of most houses up here. My main concern
is heat. Has anybody used a hot water system?

Rob

Old 18-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Wendy

Here you go Rob, my idea of a greenhouse.
http://www.palmhouse.org.uk/

Old 18-11-2003, 04:02 PM
K Barrett

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Since you are in the great white north, you might want to build a

solid, insulated north wall.

I might suggest a close look at double wall polycarb panels
considering the great white north location, bwdik. I can highly
recomend the polycarb panels.

bb

Actually I was planning on using my 30x40' pole barn as a north
wall. So that is covered. Not insulated, but I may add some thermal
mass to it. I'd just as soon use triple wall as anything else, but I
may go with inflated poly. Somebody told me that inflated poly has an
R-value better than the walls of most houses up here. My main concern
is heat. Has anybody used a hot water system?

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Ken Meier has an inflatable GH in N Virginia that tolerates snow loads.
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/3297/GRNHOUSE.html

Its definitely cheaper than triplewall poly. If you know someone in the
trades you can get triplewall rather cheaply, like 2.00 a square foot, but
usually it retails for a TON of $$ You can also avoid crating and other
shipping charges.

Many of the judges here use a hot water system. But Any part of Claifornia
doesn't get as cold as your neck of the woods. So I'll not comment on them.

K Barrett

Old 18-11-2003, 04:02 PM
K Barrett

Ditto Sundance supply. Great site. (Just be advised that he sells a
polycarbonate from Canada, which you'd *think* would be 75 cents on the
dollar, but ...)

Actually that might not be a bad idea for you Rob, nip across the border and
order it from there. (Kidding)

K Barrett

om...

Old 18-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:

Here you go Rob, my idea of a greenhouse.
http://www.palmhouse.org.uk/

Somehow I think this is substantially more than the tractor would have
cost... It would be nice though.

Old 18-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:42:57 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote in Message-Id: 46rub.6899$Ue4.163@fed1read01:

Here you go Rob, my idea of a greenhouse.
http://www.palmhouse.org.uk/

There's a decent picture of it he
http://www.palmhouse.org.uk/gallery/...ng&id=DSCF0038
Old 18-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Wendy

Ok, I am getting serious now! Curious about the steam for heating?
Would you use electricity to heat the water?
I often wonder what the guys use in snowbound winters.?
However you will probably save money if you have been using indoor lights
no?
You will need some kind of backup source as well preferably automatic.
If I was able to start over, I would have a very high greenhouse for my
Vandas & such
which then in turn make it shadier of other plants.
I like a concrete floor as opposed to pea gravel & bricks etc. (easier
to keep clean)
Also don't forget a drain & an indoor tap?
The treated subsill 2x4's are good for above the foundation. Snails &
slugs don't like it.
I like the clear polycarb, my kit came with opaque stuff for the roof.
Not sure how hot you get in your neck of the woods but places or spots
for fans &
vents etc.
Browse through Charlies web site or catalog he has some instructions on
postion of
the green house for sunlight, also size fans need for cfm's etc.,
also will give you some idea on what you need for
maintaining. But better prices are available.
This must be so exciting for you Rob, I remember the feeling well.
Good luck

Old 18-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:

Ok, I am getting serious now! Curious about the steam for heating?
Would you use electricity to heat the water?

Hot water underbench (or in floor) heat is what I would like. It
has been used successfully even up here in the 'tundra'. Far easer to
implement than steam. Electricity is what I have on site. I heat the
house with oil, but this would be too far from the house for that. I'll
probably need a separate tank of fuel for the greenhouse, either lp or
natural gas, depending on what works best. Cheaper than electricity,
and since I need a separate tank anyway, probably not too big a hassle.

I often wonder what the guys use in snowbound winters.?

Typically gas or propane. It can get a little expensive. One
commercial grower (with several acres under glass) quoted me 20,000 per
month for his heating bills in the winter. I'm not sure if that was a
single greenhouse or all of them. They were huge, drafty glass
greenhouses, so who knows. The things we do for orchids.

However you will probably save money if you have been using indoor lights
no?

No... Of course I would _keep_ the indoor setup. Come on, that is
precious space for plants! *grin* Actually I'll probably convert that
into a very cool room for plants I can't grow right now.

This must be so exciting for you Rob, I remember the feeling well.
Good luck

Thanks! I'm thinking about posting some drawings and musings to my
website when I get that far. I have several months to procrastinate.

Old 18-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Ted Byers

Wendy wrote:

Ok, I am getting serious now! Curious about the steam for heating?
Would you use electricity to heat the water?

Hot water underbench (or in floor) heat is what I would like. It
has been used successfully even up here in the 'tundra'. Far easer to

Now wait a minute Rob. Aren't you more than a thousand miles from the
nearest tundra? ;-) I'd be surprised if Michigan got much colder than
central Ontario. Neither of us tries to cram spring, summer and fall into
July and August, as happens in Churchill which, IIRC, has the tundra nearest
to you. But I CAN encourage you since the last time I did field work, in
Churchill, more than ten years ago, I saw a working greenhouse used by one
of the resident couples to meet most of their needs for vegetables as well
as a wide variety of flowers. And they weren't rich, so they must have
found an economical way to provide heat and light through the ten month
winter. It was over ten years ago that I saw it, so I don't recall what
they used for heat.

One of the things I'd look at is the potential for passive heating as a
supplementary source of heat. A certain amount of heat will enter the
greenhouse, and if you have rain barrels, full of water painted black, and
sitting in the sun, they will absorb a certain amount of energy. The other
thing I'd look at is the potential for using a wood burning stove. I know
my sister and her family save a bundle using one to heat their home. I
would suppose that similar potential exists for heating a greenhouse.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 18-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Ray

Rob,

According to the manufacturing data I received about a year ago, the
R-values a

6-mil polyethylene 1.15
6-mil polyethylene double layer, inflated 0.70
Glass 1.13
"Fiberglass" or corrugated polycarbonate 1.20
Multiwall polycarbonate 4 mm 0.70
6 mm 0.65
8 mm 0.62
16 mm 0.40