Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Default another frog story!

40 years of eating live rats, frogs
June 08, 2007 06:11am

A MAN in southeast China who once ate 20 mice in a day says forty
years of swallowing tree frogs, rats and mice live has cured him of
intestinal problems and made him strong.
Jiang Musheng, a 66-year-old resident of Jiangxi province, suffered
from frequent abdominal pains and coughing from the age of 26, until
an old man called Yang Dingcai suggested tree frogs as a remedy, the
Beijing News said.

"At first, Jiang Musheng did not dare to eat a live, wriggling frog,
but after seeing Yang Dingcai swallow one, he ate ... two without a
thought," the paper said.

"After a month of eating live frogs, his stomach pains and coughing
were completely gone."

Over the years Jiang had added live mice, baby rats and green frogs to
his diet, and had once eaten 20 mice in a single day, the paper said.

http://tinyurl.com/2bdvl4

Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here's my frog story. I've got these hanging "self-watering" pots
that have a little trough you pour water in to water the plants (from
the bottom). Normally, I see frogs like this outside on my window
eating bugs, but this one got inside. You can just barely see the
frog poking its head out of the spout in the picture. He's been there
almost a week, jumping out when I water.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...khuis/Frog.jpg

Well, it may not be a very good frog story but it's the only one I've
got.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand

Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I can't help myself ~ that is toooo cute!

We have a chorus frog on the deck who
thinks he is hiding hunkered down in the
plants and we pretend we don't see him
at all.

k :-)

Old 08-06-2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 18:32:26 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

Here's my frog story. I've got these hanging "self-watering" pots
that have a little trough you pour water in to water the plants (from
the bottom). Normally, I see frogs like this outside on my window
eating bugs, but this one got inside. You can just barely see the
frog poking its head out of the spout in the picture. He's been there
almost a week, jumping out when I water.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...khuis/Frog.jpg

Well, it may not be a very good frog story but it's the only one I've
got.

I preferred yours to Kathy, ewwww. I wonder how many parasites this guy has
gotten from eating those things (or perhaps this new diet killed off what
he had?). My theory, he was gluten sensitive and gave that up when he
started eating his food, ah.... fresh. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-06-2007, 06:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:08:43 CST, ~ jan wrote:

I preferred yours to Kathy, ewwww. I wonder how many parasites this guy has
gotten from eating those things (or perhaps this new diet killed off what
he had?). My theory, he was gluten sensitive and gave that up when he
started eating his food, ah.... fresh. ~ jan

If you're talking about the inside frog, I really don't think its diet
has changed all that much. From where I sit now, I can count 20+ (I
quit counting after 20) plants hanging around. It probably doesn't
really realize that it's inside. I have very little in the way of bug
sprays, and I've never used one of those commercial spraying firms. As
such, I have the occasional spider and the like living inside, and
they seem to do pretty well munching on the other bugs that do get
inside. I assume the frog does pretty much the same. My bathroom
has both a tub and a shower, the tub now is entirely filled with
plants, with grow lights hanging from the ceiling. Last year I had an
new world chameleon (anole) that lived somewhere in the plants for
well over a year. I know I didn't feed it and it grew from barely an
inch long to well over 5 inches.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
news My bathroom
has both a tub and a shower, the tub now is entirely filled with
plants, with grow lights hanging from the ceiling.

brevity snips
==================
Can I ask why you have plants indoors in the summer? I take all mine
outside for the summer. The sun lovers go on the open side deck and the
shade lovers on the covered front porch. They come back in before the 1st
frost much nicer looking than when they go out. I now have 2 greenhouses
just for my plants. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:35:30 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Can I ask why you have plants indoors in the summer? I take all mine
outside for the summer. The sun lovers go on the open side deck and the
shade lovers on the covered front porch. They come back in before the 1st
frost much nicer looking than when they go out. I now have 2 greenhouses
just for my plants. :-)

The short answer is it would be too much of a hassle to move them.
Longer answer follows:

The plants in the bathtub have gotten huge, and many of them are sort
of like vines and have climbed into and around things so that I'd
probably have to spend several hours cutting just to get them free.
They've wrapped around unused towel racks, around faucets and
fixtures, they've even climbed and wrapped themselves around the
chains I hang the grow lights from. One end of the bathroom is a
minor jungle. Added to that is the fact that I'm a gimp, and once the
plants are there, they are there pretty much for good.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
The plants in the bathtub have gotten huge, and many of them are sort
of like vines and have climbed into and around things so that I'd
probably have to spend several hours cutting just to get them free.
They've wrapped around unused towel racks, around faucets and
fixtures, they've even climbed and wrapped themselves around the
chains I hang the grow lights from. One end of the bathroom is a
minor jungle. Added to that is the fact that I'm a gimp, and once the
plants are there, they are there pretty much for good.

==============================
Wow! It sounds like you have a little "greenhouse" right in your bathroom.
That's got to be handy having them right there indoors year round. :-) My
collection finally outgrew the large sun-room. I had to do something. My
main interests are geraniums and cactus but I have a lot of other stuff as
well. Last winter the water lettuce thrived in the first small greenhouse.
This winter I'm going to try and keep some water hyacinths over since I now
have a lot more room.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:29:06 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

[...]

Another interesting cool story..... but I was talking about the live
frog/mouse eating man's diet. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:43:44 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Another interesting cool story..... but I was talking about the live
frog/mouse eating man's diet. :-) ~ jan

I think mice have always gotten along pretty well with "man's diet,"
whatever that is. Mice will pretty much eat anything. Frogs, on the
other hand, I recall as being pretty finicky about what they eat. It's
been some time since I tried to keep any, but I think they pretty much
insisted on live or at least live acting food. I don't think they'd
touch, say, a twinkie, but mice would be all over it. Diet
notwithstanding however, I'd say the frog was more prone to disease
and parasites, but I'd think it more environmental than dietary.

Rate This Thread: