Old 14-08-2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Squirrels & nets

last thing I "hunted and killed" was a squirrel (16 gauge). didnt
want to eat the thing with all the shot in it, so I quit hunting. I
am in the city. cant shot anything that draws attention. up close I
have dispatched many, many chippies with a pellet gun (I trap em and
then kill em). I am going after the squirrels now with take em alive
cages. they been breaking into our roof, they been eating my pears
and will go after figs next I am sure. gotta kill the ones figured
out whats what. Ingrid

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:17:19 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:46:39 CST, wrote:

pellet gun. watch the angle so you miss the pond and etc. Ingrid
(who is fighting her own battle with the tree rats)

I tend to disagree with the use of a pellet gun. Many folks think
"pellet gun" is much the same as a "BB gun." I don't know of a BB gun
that has sufficient power or accuracy to dispatch a squirrel. A
pellet gun of the .177 caliber is probably not going to have the mass
to kill, and you wind up with an irritated (albeit wounded) squirrel.
Even if you do have sufficient power and a good shot, most .177 pellet
guns do not provide sufficient knock down force to put down the
squirrel right away, and you'll probably wind up with a bloody mess,
at best. In the .22 caliber pellet you have a better chance, although
results are hardly guaranteed. Then there are the legal implications.
In this state, and probably others, there are seasons and restrictions
regarding various squirrels. If you know all this already, you
probably aren't reaching for a pellet gun. If you are going for a
pellet gun, you probably haven't hunted many squirrels.

Old 14-08-2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:06:55 CST, wrote:

last thing I "hunted and killed" was a squirrel (16 gauge). didnt
want to eat the thing with all the shot in it, so I quit hunting. I
am in the city. cant shot anything that draws attention. up close I
have dispatched many, many chippies with a pellet gun (I trap em and
then kill em). I am going after the squirrels now with take em alive
cages. they been breaking into our roof, they been eating my pears
and will go after figs next I am sure. gotta kill the ones figured
out whats what. Ingrid

Sounds like you have a serious squirrel problem if you have to go to that
extreme.

In late fall mine may take a tomato or two, but beyond that, not much else.
I had a sunflower volunteer come up in the garden. The other day they had
removed the head and carried it off, which was fine with me. Only time I've
had a real problem with them was when I was worried about feeding my family
that I stopped buying for their family. They chewed all the perches off the
finch feeder. As long as I give them some in the morning, they behave.

It is quite comical to watch a squirrel bury a peanut in the grass. They
fluff the grass afterwards better than any golfer would return a divot. You
would never know there had been a hole dug and peanut buried. Unfortunately
the skunks know, and they don't fill in the hole once they rob it.
:-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 14-08-2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:05:36 CST, Kurt wrote:

Better to use the pellet gun on the kids ;-)

Dropping the kids in the pond and now pelting them? Kurt, I may have to
turn you in to the Humane Society. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-08-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:05:36 CST, Kurt wrote:

Better to use the pellet gun on the kids ;-)

Dropping the kids in the pond and now pelting them? Kurt, I may have to
turn you in to the Humane Society. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

But I love animals. ;-)

Old 15-08-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

If you are going for a
pellet gun, you probably haven't hunted many squirrels.

I would prefer my 22/410 over and under, but the neighbors get upset.
They don't hear the pop of a .177 pellet gun early in the morning, and
yes, the 22 pellet did work a bit better on body shots, but my
Benjamin wore out. However I killed 15 tree rats from the live oak
next door the year the house was empty. The previous and present
owners thought they were cute and ignored their digging in flower
beds, eating bulbs and stripping bark off the limbs of trees, making
them weak. Once before I sent an ad to this group that never
appeared, so I'll just say my scope mounted 1000 fps Gamo .177 will
drop a squirrel immediately if I can get a good head shot. If not, it
kills. Sorry if I'm not too sympathetic with something that is
destroying my little part of the world, but it is my intention to kill
it quickly.

I find three to five pecan nuts in the shell wired to a have-a-heart
trap treadle work quietly and the squirrel has a bit of trouble
swimming out of the pond with the trap, in fact none has made it so
far.
Regards,
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 15-08-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Better to use the pellet gun on the kids ;-)

Bad humor, poor taste!
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 15-08-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Better to use the pellet gun on the kids ;-)

Bad humor, poor taste!

I have high standards.

Old 15-08-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Actually I was considering the ultimate sanction
with youngest son the other day. Packed all his
meds for a three day hike and then they got 'lost'.
Did you check your pack? No, but they must be
in the house and Mom had to look... this went on thru
three cellphone calls, sending a friend back to the
house, more searches, sending Dad back (they
were supplying and still in town). Finally I packed
all the meds again and got the call - he found them
- in his pack.
To bring this back to the original thread - squirrels
have nothing on teenagers!!
k :-)

Old 16-08-2007, 05:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:23:26 CST, Kurt wrote:

But I love animals. ;-)

Kids... animals... there's a difference? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-08-2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:23:26 CST, Kurt wrote:

But I love animals. ;-)

Kids... animals... there's a difference? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

:-)

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Nets and leaves Koi-lo Ponds 1 15-11-2005 02:19 AM
Snake deterrent No Nets Needed ~ janj JJsPond.us Ponds 4 22-07-2005 03:24 PM
Pond nets buried under 9" of snow! Robyn Rhudy Ponds 1 12-12-2003 07:34 PM
Color me DISCOURAGED! - herons and nets ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 6 25-06-2003 06:08 AM