Old 21-10-2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default winters on its way .

On Oct 20, 2:56 pm, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in ooglegroups.com... Catfish eat whatever thy can get thir mouth around!

Jim

======================
Which usually means all the other fish in the pond that they can catch.

Which would explain where all the fathead minnows went!

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-10-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We normally get a frost mid-Oct., but so far our lows are holding in the
high 30's to low 40's.

It was bitter sweet putting the ponds to bed this year, the fish were
absolutely gorgeous and the ponds ran pretty carefree. Item of interest,
the last month or so I was losing water a couple inches/day. I had an
inkling it was in the 2nd waterfall that the watercress was trying to
cover. When I went to screen the ponds in for winter, I trimmed the
watercress back and even had DH lift the big rock so I could see the flow.
I really didn't see much in the way as a problem, but cleared what little
bit I saw and did a few minor changes to the folds in the liner that are
under it.

Next day, no lost of water. So either I fixed the problem by chance, or the
screens have stopped the large flying buffalo from stopping in for a drink.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-10-2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
42 42 is offline

When the temp of the water drops below 55°F, I don't feed them at all. Next
spring they're all just fine, and I start feeding again when the water rises
above 55°. That's about 13 Euro degrees for those of you living where water
freezes at 0°. Anyone know how many dog degrees that would be?
42

"margaret corrin" wrote in
message ...

im in the uk , its my first winter having goldfish, they seem to be now
spending more time on the bottom of the pond . can anyone in the uk
let me know possible how much longer before they stop comeing up for
food. thanks

--
margaret corrin

Old 21-10-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:56:25 CST, "42" wrote:

When the temp of the water drops below 55°F, I don't feed them at all. Next
spring they're all just fine, and I start feeding again when the water rises
above 55°. That's about 13 Euro degrees for those of you living where water
freezes at 0°. Anyone know how many dog degrees that would be?
42

I stop at 50, or when the screens go on, which make it difficult to feed.
Mid-October thru March sometime w/o food, and they do fine on the stuff
that grows on the sides. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-10-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
42 42 is offline

Our pond is at a house we have for sale near Oregon City. The realtor does
the minor maintenance between our visits. We now live in central Oregon and
I'm debating with myself the pros and cons of having a pond here. Our
winters can drop to -20°F and I'm uncertain how a pond with fish would do.
I'd like to hear from anyone that has a pond in that kind of climate as to
how they prepare their pond for the winter and what they do as far as
maintenance then the weather is sub zero.
42

Old 21-10-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:56:25 CST, "42" wrote:

Anyone know how many dog degrees that would be?

Anyone know what dog degrees are?
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 22-10-2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

hoo haa ... scroll down to winter pond. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm
I drop in a tank heater (titanium, aquatic ecosystems).
I cover the pond with plastic. the temp is 50 or better all but one month. without
the heater and plastic the temp goes down for 6 months.
with heater and plastic I feed the fish nearly all winter but only a little bit and
not every day.
This year I am putting a sort of greenhouse around the whole pond area (if I ever get
to it!) so I can actually sit right next to the pond and watch the fish and exclude
the snow. Ingrid

Old 23-10-2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well, cool evenings while we were away have brought fall changes
faster than usual! Our hyacinth have brown spots and the lilies are
pushing much smaller leaves. The fish have even eased off in their
appetities. Not fun to see. Whe the hyacinth have clearly moved
toward brown, however, we will pull them froim the top veggie filter
and see this year's crop of 'through-the-pump-as-eggs' baby goldfish
and koi. They get to safety the hard way!

Jim

Old 23-10-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
......, we will pull them froim the top veggie filter
and see this year's crop of 'through-the-pump-as-eggs' baby goldfish
and koi. They get to safety the hard way!

===============================
I find GF, but seldom koi fry in the barrels and plant propagation tubs many
feet from the ponds and grow-out tanks. We suspect they're either
transported there by my hands or by the endless supply of frogs we have
here.
--
RM....
Zone 6. Middle TN USA

Old 24-10-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Well, cool evenings while we were away have brought fall changes
faster than usual! Our hyacinth have brown spots and the lilies are
pushing much smaller leaves. The fish have even eased off in their
appetities. Not fun to see. Whe the hyacinth have clearly moved
toward brown, however, we will pull them froim the top veggie filter
and see this year's crop of 'through-the-pump-as-eggs' baby goldfish
and koi. They get to safety the hard way!

Jim

Everything still thriving around here (except for all the ash and smoke
from Malibu and Piru fires. Santa Ana winds are keeping everything
toasty. Fish are still always hungry!

Old 24-10-2007, 05:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

How far are you from the fires?

Jim

Old 24-10-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article . com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

How far are you from the fires?

Jim

Just a few miles west of Fillmore, but right on the coast (midtown
Ventura). We got our hillsides burned 2 years ago.
Still smokey, but I think all of So. Cal is that way now. Santa Barbara
clear, though.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Hal" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:54:04 CST, margaret corrin
wrote:

im in the uk , its my first winter having goldfish, they seem to be now
spending more time on the bottom of the pond . can anyone in the uk
let me know possible how much longer before they stop comeing up for
food. thanks

I'm not in the UK, but mine didn't stop coming up for food until the
top had a thin layer of ice around the edges. I didn't feed as much
in the winter, but continued the same feed that I use in the summer.
Some winters I had no ice and fed all winter.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

wow nice pond!!

Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:38:48 CST, "jthread" wrote:

wow nice pond!!

Thanks, it is always changing. I'll try to update the pictures when I
get finished wearing out another shovel.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Rate This Thread: