Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Bottom drains

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:17:54 CST, Hal wrote:

I gather you must have frogs.

Yes, tree frogs.... for now anyway. I'm the one with the neighbor who
turned me into the city for having noisy pets. So I'm hoping I can coax a
male or two to the other side of the house, where I set up 2 above ground
pools with transferred taddies last year. All other males going to the lily
pond will have to be relocated, else I hear about it. Since there will be
fish in the pond, they will eat any spawn and I assume eventually I won't
have but the occassional male show up there. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:57:56 CST, ~ jan wrote:

I gather you must have frogs.

Yes, tree frogs.... for now anyway. I'm the one with the neighbor who
turned me into the city for having noisy pets. So I'm hoping I can coax a
male or two to the other side of the house, where I set up 2 above ground
pools with transferred taddies last year. All other males going to the lily
pond will have to be relocated, else I hear about it. Since there will be
fish in the pond, they will eat any spawn and I assume eventually I won't
have but the occassional male show up there. ~ jan

I didn't think about tree frogs. I have seen gray and green tree
frogs here, but they aren't really noisy at night. Maybe their
sounds are drowned out by the noisy toads mating??
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 07-01-2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Hal" wrote in message
I didn't think about tree frogs. I have seen gray and green tree
frogs here, but they aren't really noisy at night. Maybe their
sounds are drowned out by the noisy toads mating??

============================
When they screech on the front porch here we have to go inside. They can be
pretty irritating if they're real close by. You can't hear yourself think no
less hold a conversation. Fortunately our neighbors aren't that close to be
bothered by them and they're only real noisy in the spring and before a
rain.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:45:37 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

When they screech on the front porch here we have to go inside. They can be
pretty irritating if they're real close by. You can't hear yourself think no
less hold a conversation. Fortunately our neighbors aren't that close to be
bothered by them and they're only real noisy in the spring and before a
rain.

We are blessed at least monthly, more if it rains, until August. My
wife stays awake and listens sometimes, but I sleep. Most of our
neighbors have the air conditioning and TV going loud enough to ignore
them.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I've about decided against having a bottom drain. There is no
advantage that I can see. While I have the pond on high ground, that
is relatively speaking. I'm thinking *inches* of relief. Most of the
land here is 154 ft above sea level. Some is 153 ft, some is 155 ft.
Even if I drain the little pond into the big pond, I'd still have to
start a siphon or pump it out. In other words, I'd have to go through
the exact same process whether or not I utilize a bottom drain. I
live in a rural area and already possess several pumps, one
specifically designed to suck up pond water and pump it that I have
for fire fighting purposes (gas operated in case the power fails) and
another one with a 2 inch outlet that will pump the little pond dry
well inside of 10 minutes. I can see it for a larger pond, but this
one seems to be far too tiny to fuss with, besides, I don't count on
having any fish.

On another note, the acorns have pretty much stopped falling on my
(metal) roof. Now it no longer sounds like I'm under direct attack by
..50 machine guns, it's only occasional random sniper fire.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken

Old 09-01-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 19:02:15 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

[...]

Now that is what we called a puddle when I was growing up. A little
place to play in the water that had no real purpose.

There isn't enough drop in my property either, but I still put the
filter barrels in the ground so I could pump from the last barrel away
from the pond bottom drain. I like to watch fish swim around, but if
I didn't want fish I wouldn't have dug a hole big enough for three
barrels and a bottom drain.

On another note, the acorns have pretty much stopped falling on my
(metal) roof. Now it no longer sounds like I'm under direct attack by
..50 machine guns, it's only occasional random sniper fire.

But the live oak leaves are beginning to fall here, just after
cleaning up all the others from the fall.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Rate This Thread: