Old 31-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Snooze

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

$$ To some extent this is true but I don't believe the Police had enough
manpower to evacuate all those without cars, family, close friends or
money to pay someone to evacuate them. I myself would have been out of
there if I had to WALK! Now the looters are looting the stores.... and
probably any homes still standing.

Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to assist
their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

-S

Old 31-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Herb

Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

-S

You're absolutely right Snooze, since the governor of each state has
publicly stated that they have plenty of National Guardsmen available
to meet any need they have. If you really had the courage of your
conviction, you'd recommend the governor issue shoot to kill orders for
the looters, that way it wouldn't take that many Guardsmen or Police.
Once the word was out that looting will cost your life, it wouldn't
last long.

Regards,
Herb

Old 31-08-2005, 09:16 AM
George

"Gareee©" wrote in message
" George" wrote in message

20% of the people live below the poverty line. An equal number don't
own their own means of transportation, and the buses don't run out of
town. There are also a lot of elderly people living in New Orleans.
Many of them were infirmed.

True, but I'm not talking about people without the ability or means to
leave.. I'm talking about the idiots who stay because they *know* nothing
bad will happen.

Likely, those were a minority of the people who did stay behind. Others
likely stayed (other than for the reasons already stated) because they
didn't want to leave their property unprotected in the aftermath. as we
have seen from the images of the looting, that may have been a good reason
in a lot of peoples minds to stay.

I am a flood victim from Andrew myself from davenport Florida, and fought
flood waters for 4 months with sandbags, along with my neighbors.

I couldn't tell you how many times that I came home to a foot of water in
my living room. I remember not being able to open my car door, because
water would have flooded into it.

That was after the fact, doing damage control. At the end, Fema declared
my home unlivable and I got a nice check to get me another place, but it
took 4 months of hell before they finally resolved that for me.

I suspect that it is going to take considerably longer than 4 months for
this disaster to be resolved.

Old 31-08-2005, 09:18 AM
George

"Herb" wrote in message
Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

-S

You're absolutely right Snooze, since the governor of each state has
publicly stated that they have plenty of National Guardsmen available
to meet any need they have. If you really had the courage of your
conviction, you'd recommend the governor issue shoot to kill orders for
the looters, that way it wouldn't take that many Guardsmen or Police.
Once the word was out that looting will cost your life, it wouldn't
last long.

Regards,
Herb

That is not a solution. What they need to do is evacuate everyone that is
not an emergency worker out of the disaster area. I think that is what
they are currently working to do.

Old 31-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Snooze" wrote in message
m...
"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

$$ To some extent this is true but I don't believe the Police had enough
manpower to evacuate all those without cars, family, close friends or
money to pay someone to evacuate them. I myself would have been out of
there if I had to WALK! Now the looters are looting the stores.... and
probably any homes still standing.

Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

-S

============================
From what I saw on TV there is no way the National Guard can cover every
street and back-street in these areas that are flooded and the people
evacuated. What I saw on TV were looters in a frenzy. They were like
animals running back and forth emptying the stores.... shocking!
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 31-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Herb" wrote in message
Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

-S

You're absolutely right Snooze, since the governor of each state has
publicly stated that they have plenty of National Guardsmen available
to meet any need they have. If you really had the courage of your
conviction, you'd recommend the governor issue shoot to kill orders for
the looters,

$$ I agree with this - UNLESS they were children or starving people taking
food. No one is starving there. These looters were carrying off clothes,
beer and electronic equipment. Items hardly needed for survival. It's
amazing how a disaster can bring out the worst in some people and the best
in others.

Old 31-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Reel Mckoi

" George" wrote in message

"Herb" wrote in message
Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

-S

You're absolutely right Snooze, since the governor of each state has
publicly stated that they have plenty of National Guardsmen available
to meet any need they have. If you really had the courage of your
conviction, you'd recommend the governor issue shoot to kill orders for
the looters, that way it wouldn't take that many Guardsmen or Police.
Once the word was out that looting will cost your life, it wouldn't
last long.

Regards,
Herb

That is not a solution. What they need to do is evacuate everyone that is
not an emergency worker out of the disaster area. I think that is what
they are currently working to do.

=================================
That wouldn't be possible as how would they find them all to evacuate them?
Many don't want to leave. Where would they take them? The TV claims the
shelters are already overcrowded. Sometimes drastic actions are the only
thing people understand.

Old 31-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Gareee©

" George" wrote in message

What they need to do is evacuate everyone that is not an emergency worker
out of the disaster area. I think that is what they are currently working
to do.

Yep, I heard the same thing.. they are going to tell people with proper
identification they can come in and get personal effects, but then must
leave the area until about a month now.

But they are working now on getting everyone out, so they can stop the
waters raising, and get the situation under some sort of control.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 31-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Roy

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:29:06 GMT, "Herb"
wrote:

=== Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
=== assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

A ot of the affercted states national guard troops are deployed and on
TDY to opther areas of assignment since Iraqi Invasion....a lot are
transferred to regular active duty military bases to replace the
regulars stationed there so they can deploy and a majority of those at
home station are not qualified to provide much of any kind of
assistence in regards to security, rescue etc..handing out MRE's
perhaps but thats it........And then a good portion of the ones still
at home station are just as badly affected and victims of Katrina as
the next, and are and may have evacuated, so the nationa guard
strength is not what its chalked up to be by any means. The NG members
in this area are spread out thin all over the world right now, and
many of them are in Iraq etc while their home was in Mobile
country,....The guard and reserves are tasked more since 9/11 than
most people think, and thats being TDY to another country already.

===
===You're absolutely right Snooze, since the governor of each state has
===publicly stated that they have plenty of National Guardsmen available
===to meet any need they have. If you really had the courage of your
===conviction, you'd recommend the governor issue shoot to kill orders for
===the looters, that way it wouldn't take that many Guardsmen or Police.
===Once the word was out that looting will cost your life, it wouldn't
===last long.
===

Does not seem ike it stopped the animals in NO does it.The only thing
those animals will under stand is when they start pileing up looters
bodies in the public square.......There wa many many more that could
easily have evacuated NO..........just like the idiots that rode it
out in a beach front motel in Biloxi who finshed their days of
contributing to their gene pool........There really is no excuse for
those idiots being trapped and needing air rescue in NO.......They
could eaily have been put up at the SUper Dome, inconvieinient
perhaps, but safe, and all together in stead of trapped in an attic or
on a roof crying to be rescued.....They had close to 48 hours, to get
to the super dome or high ground and other shelters in NO, but noo
they elected to stay and hopefully take up on the looting career, most
are well versed in.....I say feed em lead and make a lasting image of
the low lifes. Unitl they take extremely firm action with those
animals they will always do what they can to be a parasite on the
governments handout programs.........

===Regards,
===Herb

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 31-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Snooze

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message
"Snooze" wrote in message
m...

Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

============================
From what I saw on TV there is no way the National Guard can cover every
street and back-street in these areas that are flooded and the people
evacuated. What I saw on TV were looters in a frenzy. They were like
animals running back and forth emptying the stores.... shocking!

I was in high school when the rodney king riots occurred. I remember my
history teacher got called to duty, when he was in the national guard
reserve. When he returned, he said that they would park an Bradley in the
intersection, with a few guardsmen, it would keep the looters a block or two
away.

Obviously this kind of disaster would probably require a significant portion
of the guardsmen in neighboring states to help guard all the commercial
areas, so the local police could patrol the residential areas.

-S

Old 31-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Snooze

"Herb" wrote in message
Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

-S

You're absolutely right Snooze, since the governor of each state has
publicly stated that they have plenty of National Guardsmen available
to meet any need they have. If you really had the courage of your
conviction, you'd recommend the governor issue shoot to kill orders for
the looters, that way it wouldn't take that many Guardsmen or Police.
Once the word was out that looting will cost your life, it wouldn't
last long.

The Koreans did exactly that, permission or not, in the Rodney King riots,
seems word got out really quickly.

-S

Old 31-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Roy

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:10:00 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

===
==="Herb" wrote in message
[...]

Word does not have to get out, its instinct and hard wired in these
people, did I say people, I meant to say animals.........They are
always looking for an opening to take advantage of ANY situation.The
FOX coverage of them walking around nonchalantly right after Katrina
passed through, The French Quarter pretty well dry and intact, and
isolated from the rest of NO, they new darn well they could pretty
well do what they wanted and get away with it......so they went for
it.......Even with officers there with shotguns pointed at them did
little to deter them, as they knew they were not gonna get shot, and
they more than likely were not gonna get arrested and hauled in tot
jail since they could not transport those arrested and try and stem
further looting while they were gone.......They shjould shoot em all
on sight if they have so much as a gal of milk or a lopad of bread,
since there is not once busiiness open in that city and selling food
and other merchandise......see a brand new pair of NIKEs on them odds
they ripped em off at the Footlooker that they so diligenlty tore
apart and plundered.......scumballs are what they are and they have no
place in socieity.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 31-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Snooze" wrote in message
"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message
"Snooze" wrote in message
m...

Good thing we have the national guard available to for deployment to
assist their state in times of disaster and to prevent looting.

============================
From what I saw on TV there is no way the National Guard can cover every
street and back-street in these areas that are flooded and the people
evacuated. What I saw on TV were looters in a frenzy. They were like
animals running back and forth emptying the stores.... shocking!

I was in high school when the rodney king riots occurred. I remember my
history teacher got called to duty, when he was in the national guard
reserve. When he returned, he said that they would park an Bradley in the
intersection, with a few guardsmen, it would keep the looters a block or
two away.

Obviously this kind of disaster would probably require a significant
portion of the guardsmen in neighboring states to help guard all the
commercial areas, so the local police could patrol the residential areas.

-S

===================
I remember the Rodney King insanity! I couldn't believe how the people
reacted. They destroyed their own neighborhood! How much crazier can
people get?

At this point you can be sure there isn't an item of value left in the
stores we saw being looted, in any of those devastated neighborhoods. Every
store (and home) is probably emptied out down to the last sneaker, 6-pack of
beer and pair of jeans......

Old 31-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Gill Passman

==="Herb" wrote in message
[...]

I think that under the circumstances there is a big difference between those
trying to get food and drinking water and those that are looting for the
sake of it for material gain - afterall any electronic goods will be shot
with the flood water, clothing might also fall under the essentials
category. Under the same circumstances, as a law abiding citizen (UK) I
think that I would do everything in my power to provide my family with food
and clean drinking water. What disturbs me is that there does not appear to
be any coordinated effort to "legally" loot these shops and get the food and
drinking water to those that so obviously need it - leaving it to waste and
rot and become submerged is equally as criminal...surely part of the
recovery focus should be on salvaging as much as possible for use by those
in dire need left in this city....but I guess it is a manpower issue.

I am very concerned with the news that I see coming out of this city and the
surrounding areas. I am worried about the sheer scale of evacuation with
limited resources that is going to need to take place to get those lucky
enough to survive out of there. I am worried that those that sought
sanctuary in the Superdome might not find it their ultimate prison....I hope
very much that this won't be the case....I'm worried about the lack of
reports of aid going into the area.....

I think that because of the nature of the reputation of the States as a
super power you are not getting the help that you need from the rest of the
world...when you look at the response to the Tsunami tragedy on boxing day -
draw your own comparisons - potentially this is a disaster on the same (if
not greater) scale.

I've never had to face the dilemma of leaving my home to an uncertain
fate...I cannot comment on how I would cope with it or whether indeed I
could do it....on balance I believe that life is more important than
property...but for the elderly, infirm and poverty stricken this is no more
an option in our society than for those in third world countries....some may
have stayed because they didn't truly believe that it would happen but
others will have remained because they had no choice.

All this being said, I am very glad that you got out. I don't know the exact
region where you live but I am guessing it was affected....

I wonder if New Orleans will ever recover from this....but the focus should
not just be on this city but on other communities that will never, ever be
the same.

Gill

Old 31-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Roy

My poiint is those people had amaple time to get provisions that are
necessary to sustain life for just a few days, a case of bottled water
sdome cans of beans etc would do just fine.........but they elected to
buyt smokes and booze......and kick back and wait for the $hit to hit
the fan and then do their own ittle looting. These peope were all
within walking distance of the Superdome and a meal and shelter and
water and medical care..yet they elected to take their chances by
staying in their housinging areas, and taske advantage of a
situation........they always do........with them its like a feeding
frenzy of sharks,,,,,,,,and all they are and all they will ever be is
a leqch or cancer on society........I am in agreement with what a few
officals have already stated, shoot em tag em and mark them as a
looter and move on.........No, here we are spending all kinds of
resources rescueing the dredges of life that should not have had to be
rescued..........in the first place, but took their chances so they
can get a new pair of sneakers or a color TV. You can go without food
and water for as long as they have without having to have the animal
come out, its just not human, be it you, me or anyone else at this
early stage of the game to have to get so darn radical and do whjat
they are doing...........I seriously doubt that many can comprehend
the magnitude of a logisitical operation this is.........I have been
involved in some extremely large logistical moves, and this one is
the mother of all moves........but it can;'t be done at the wave of a
magic wand. All roads and bridges into the area has to be checked for
safe passage of transport..........helicopters can only carry so much,
and as long as your breathing and alive, maybe a bit hungry, you'll be
ok, it just takes time. I personally see lots that could have been
done, lots that they shoulkd be doing now, especially concerning
kicking fellow americans when they are down as those looters are
doing, but overall I think they are doing a great job of getting this
situation under control. To risk a million dollar aircraft, lives of
the air crew to rescue someone that should not have had to be rescued
just because said person wanted to have a chance perhaps at ripping of
a pair of sneakers is pityfull........I would let the jokers rot on
the interstate ramp and hope another storm or heat wave came
in.......and the waters got higher.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:13:44 +0100, "Gill Passman"
gillspamattaylorpassmanspam.co.uk wrote:

===
==="Roy" wrote in message
et...
=== On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:10:00 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:
===
=== ===
=== ==="Herb" wrote in message
[...]
=== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
=== "The original frugal ponder"
===
[...]

Bonsai People in New Orleans Roger Case Bonsai 1 02-09-2005 04:54 AM
New Orleans Anthona Orchids 0 29-08-2005 03:11 PM
New Orleans - premature bulb bloom? pm Gardening 14 22-01-2004 11:13 PM
Tomatoes in New Orleans? Norm Gardening 2 17-07-2003 06:22 PM
Free logs of New Orleans Resurrection Fern Zemedelec Gardening 1 04-07-2003 03:08 AM