Old 02-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Default auto top up for my barrels?

I didn't realize the evaporation amount is so high. I have two barrels
one pouring into another, around 40 gallons. From the sun and drops
that splashed out, I have to top about 2 gallons a day.

I plan to replenish water via my drip system for the plants. It will
be tap water but it will drip out to replenish the water. Will it be
OK? I think we have chlorinmine. I only plan to use it during 10-14
day vacations.

What about I place a big tub of water in a seperate container and use a
siphon hose to equalize the water so the evaporation have as much
impact?

Does anyone have ideas for an auto top off system that won't cost too
much?

Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Kathy

Sorry but if you have Chlorinmine you will have dead fish. They tried that
in our city a few years back, and many fish people had to start over from
scratch if they didn't treat every bit of water. It just doesn't go away on
it's own like the chlorine will, if you leave it out for a day or only add a
small amount at a time. My son in San Francisco says they even told them not
to give it to the pets, when they started to put it in the water. He says if
it is bad for fish, birds, dogs and cats, he sure isn't going to drink it!
But then other places people say it doesn't matter and they like it fine. So
I guess you need to check with other fish people or city people, and see how
it is going with them. Or call your Vet if you have a dog or cat.KathyAZ
ups.com...

Old 02-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Joel

"Kathy" wrote in newsu%Re.7426$UI.6488@okepread05:

[...]

Although are water is colrinated over here, by the time it gets to the
house, its all gone and I top off my pond with tape water and the fish
are fine.
My pond is only about 500Gal, and I've topped off as much as 50% after a
cleanup, 2 years later the fish are still going strong.

Joel.
Toronto, Canada
Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 AM
George

wrote in message
ups.com...
I didn't realize the evaporation amount is so high. I have two barrels
one pouring into another, around 40 gallons. From the sun and drops
that splashed out, I have to top about 2 gallons a day.

I plan to replenish water via my drip system for the plants. It will
be tap water but it will drip out to replenish the water. Will it be
OK? I think we have chlorinmine. I only plan to use it during 10-14
day vacations.

What about I place a big tub of water in a seperate container and use a
siphon hose to equalize the water so the evaporation have as much
impact?

Does anyone have ideas for an auto top off system that won't cost too
much?

You will definitely have a problem with chloramine. If you don't mind
spending a couple of bucks, you can set up a large rubbermaid tub (25-50
gal) and place it higher that one of the barrels. Set up an old fashion
toilet ballcock flush valve inside the barrel (mounted to the side of the
barrel on the inside wall with metal or plastic stapping) to receive the
top off water, and connect the inlet to a hose that comes from the bottoms
of the rubbermaid tub. When the water level gets low enough, the valve
will open and allow the water to flow until it gets high enough to shut the
valve. That way, you can make up enough treated water to last until you
return.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on it.
It does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far, ours has
lasted for about 7 years.

Jim

George wrote:
ups.com...

Old 04-09-2005, 08:20 AM
George

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on it. It
does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far, ours has lasted
for about 7 years.

Jim

Right. That was really the kind I was thinking about. It has a specific
name, But I can't think what it is.

George wrote:
ups.com...

Old 04-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Bindi

George wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on
it. It does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far,
ours has lasted for about 7 years.

Jim

Right. That was really the kind I was thinking about. It has a
specific name, But I can't think what it is.

Water cistern ballcock

Bindi.
I'm new and really just lurking to improve my knowledge right now
but hello everyone!

George wrote:
ups.com...

Old 04-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Bindi,

Welcome to rec.pponds. Have you a pond? Most of us began by lurking
and then took the risk of posting. After a while, a form of friendship
grows. You are welcome here.

I don't remember the name of the one we bought, but there is a picture
of it on our pondsite...which should be listed at the bottom of this
message. If not, however, it is:

http://www.home.bellsouth.net/person...WP-jameshurley

Jim

Bindi wrote:
George wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on
it. It does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far,
ours has lasted for about 7 years.

Jim

Right. That was really the kind I was thinking about. It has a
specific name, But I can't think what it is.

Water cistern ballcock

Bindi.
I'm new and really just lurking to improve my knowledge right now
but hello everyone!

George wrote:

egroups.com...

Old 04-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Bindi

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Hi Bindi,

Welcome to rec.pponds. Have you a pond? Most of us began by lurking
and then took the risk of posting. After a while, a form of
friendship grows. You are welcome here.

I don't remember the name of the one we bought, but there is a picture
of it on our pondsite...which should be listed at the bottom of this
message. If not, however, it is:

http://www.home.bellsouth.net/person...WP-jameshurley

Jim

Wow!
Hi, Jim!
Thank you for the welcome!
Your pond is amazingly great! I am going to have a better look at it after I
write this.

I live in South Australia in a rural area.
I have two small preformed ponds that I was given.
The smallest one is only about 60 liters(15 gall?) and I have set it up for
frogs.
It has only been finished for about 6 weeks but the water is nice and clean
and the plants around it and in it are growing heaps! There are no frogs yet
but
I can hear them at the dam that is about 100meters away. They will come. I
hope. :-)
The second pond is larger and it has been finished for about 4 weeks. It
is about 400 liters and is also nice and clean with good waterplant growth
already.
I don't have filters and stuff set up yet. I was going to see how it all
goes and
try to leave it fairly natural if I can but still keep it clean. It is more
about frogs for me because
it is pretty dry here and I wanted a place they could come when the dam
dries up.
I am on bore water and it is good water with small parts per million of
salt.
I am thinking of getting some comets or white cloud minnows for the bigger
pond
when it has aged some more to eat the mosquito wrigglers in summer.

This newsgroup is great for me to read and to learn from!
Nice to meet you, Jim!

Bindi.

Bindi wrote:
George wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message news
We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on
it. It does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far,
ours has lasted for about 7 years.

Jim

Right. That was really the kind I was thinking about. It has a
specific name, But I can't think what it is.

Water cistern ballcock

Bindi.
I'm new and really just lurking to improve my knowledge right now
but hello everyone!

George wrote:

ups.com...

Old 04-09-2005, 04:41 PM
kathy

Hi Bindi,

Welcome to rec.ponds!

I have a pond just for frogs and insect larvae
called the Frog Bog. I adopted some frogs'
eggs from my friends pond in the spring,
they hatched and now live in my yard and
come back in the spring.

I use a mosquito product to keep mosquitoes
out there but like all the dragon and damselflies
that lay their eggs in there.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week's entry - blackfly
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 04-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Bindi" wrote in message
Bindi.
I'm new and really just lurking to improve my knowledge right now
but hello everyone!

===========================
Hi! Welcome to our NG. :-)
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 04-09-2005, 05:57 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Welcome to rec.ponds! Bindi!

Another frog ponder here. I'm at the age now I'm thinking I like the
natural pets over the dependent ones. Here that would be the treefrogs,
squirrels and all the birds. With a few exceptions, herons, raccoons &
skunks.... but even those don't wet on my carpet or yak on the rugs. ;-)

Course neither do the koi... but they do require a little more care. I
guess I have to something that needs me, besides the human folk around
here. Again, Welcome. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 04-09-2005, 07:30 PM
George

"Bindi" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on
it. It does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far,
ours has lasted for about 7 years.

Jim

Right. That was really the kind I was thinking about. It has a
specific name, But I can't think what it is.

Water cistern ballcock

Bindi.
I'm new and really just lurking to improve my knowledge right now
but hello everyone!

? I'd have to see a picture of that one.

30-Litre OPEN-TOP (with SCREW-ON lid) Plastic Barrels - many available Barrelman Marketplace 0 24-08-2008 03:32 AM
Meridian Auto Top off! Hey Jan............. ~Roy Ponds 1 27-09-2005 02:48 AM
Black&Decker Auto Feed System lawn trimmers... do you have to? kevins_news2 Lawns 3 27-04-2004 04:09 PM
pond on auto pilot Snooze Ponds 10 21-04-2003 10:32 PM
Auto vents? Jan Edible Gardening 2 27-03-2003 01:56 AM