Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Default What Are You Feeding & Where are You Buying Your Koi Food ThisSeason?

wrote:
Rangen.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U10B215EC
look for fish food with water type proteins, like krill or fish meal in the first
couple ingredients. and take a good sniff... if it smells rancid for God's sake dont
feed it to the fish. High quality food should be frozen and only take out what is
needed for the week. Ingrid

I have a small pond with three comets, a ryukin, and some white clouds.
There's no way I could use up 25 lb. of Rangen food! I'm using Tetra
Color flakes at the moment (first ingredient is fish meal), bought fresh
in small batches. I've always gotten good results with a combination of
Tetra foods and live foods for tropicals, but is there a better mass
market food for goldfish?

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 06-04-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Yet another uneducated unresearched guess, made by someone who thinks
they know it all...........Catfish and trout chow can be had in
sinking or floating types.........The feed mill here as well as the
local farm and feed supply stores sell it in sinking and floating
types.......
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 06-04-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds

stick with what you got. altho........ GF LOVE brine shrimp and especially
daphnia. Ingrid

Altum wrote:

wrote:
Rangen. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U10B215EC
look for fish food with water type proteins, like krill or fish meal in the first
couple ingredients. and take a good sniff... if it smells rancid for God's sake dont
feed it to the fish. High quality food should be frozen and only take out what is
needed for the week. Ingrid

I have a small pond with three comets, a ryukin, and some white clouds.
There's no way I could use up 25 lb. of Rangen food! I'm using Tetra
Color flakes at the moment (first ingredient is fish meal), bought fresh
in small batches. I've always gotten good results with a combination of
Tetra foods and live foods for tropicals, but is there a better mass
market food for goldfish?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 06-04-2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
the problem with corn based foods is the same problem found with that dog
food that
was killing dogs earlier this year... contamination with fungus that
causes toxins.
food for trout and catfish is formulated to first be as cheap as possible
and then
put weight on the fish as fast as possible so they can be harvested as
fast as
possible. this food is not formulated for the long term health of pet
fish. corn is
implicated in liver disease in fish, perhaps rancidity and fungal toxins
are the
underlying cause. a good rule of thumb is feed what the breeders feed.
Ingrid

==============
Any food can *go rancid* if it's not kept cool and dry, not just catfish and
trout chow. My koi and goldfish have been on these feeds at least 7 years
and breed like crazy. All are healthy and active with excellent color. No
$8 to $10 a lb food fed or needed.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 06-04-2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

wrote in message
[...]

That's true, rancidity, and that's great, if those foods work for you and
you're happy with them. If I had as many fish as say Roy or Carol feeds,
I'd be looking at Rangen, a koi food that is still fairly reasonable
priced, jmo.

As tis, many of us, similar to Altuma, have fewer fish, so we don't need to
buy in bulk, and it would/could be hazardous to our fishes health if we did
(rancidity).

Ingrid did mention something about keep foods frozen, and that's one of the
reasons I like ShoKoi, it is freezable. Some brands mention not to freeze,
it was explained to me something about the oils separating??? I'm not quite
sure, so read the label. And just an aside, if you go to a backyard fish
store and they try to sell you X-koi food in an old ice cream container,
take a pass on it. ;o) ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 06-04-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Roy wrote:
Yet another uneducated unresearched guess, made by someone who thinks
they know it all...........Catfish and trout chow can be had in
sinking or floating types.........The feed mill here as well as the
local farm and feed supply stores sell it in sinking and floating
types.......

So I guess the bottom line is you feed what you feed your fish and they
do just fine...Koi-Lo feeds her fish what she feeds her fish and they do
just fine...whether it sinks or floats is academic...you both agreed
that the alternatives that you use do your fish just great...rather than
the more expensive alternatives...

Old 06-04-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

=======================
That's true, rancidity, and that's great, if those foods work for you and
you're happy with them. If I had as many fish as say Roy or Carol feeds,
I'd be looking at Rangen, a koi food that is still fairly reasonable
priced, jmo.

I need something affordable. And considering they went through as much $8+
lb food as they do the cheaper foods, I'll stick to the cheaper foods.

As tis, many of us, similar to Altuma, have fewer fish, so we don't need
buy in bulk, and it would/could be hazardous to our fishes health if we
did
(rancidity).

When I only had a few koi and GF I also bought the expensive foods in 5 lbs
bags. Personally I can't see any difference in their health, breeding or
color on the cheaper chows (including puppy and kitty chow mixed in). I
keep all their food indoors in the coolest driest place in my A/C home. The
garage or outbuilding are the last places I would keep fish food. Not only
would it quickly get rancid buy insects would infest it.

Ingrid did mention something about keep foods frozen, and that's one of
the
reasons I like ShoKoi, it is freezable.

Some people have too many fish to freeze their foods.

Some brands mention not to freeze,
it was explained to me something about the oils separating??? I'm not
quite
sure, so read the label. And just an aside, if you go to a backyard fish
store and they try to sell you X-koi food in an old ice cream container,
take a pass on it. ;o) ~ jan

I've been buying most of mine at TFC, in bags - it's always been fresh, bug
free and the fish love it. If there's anything left in the fall it gets
mixed into the compost pile.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I need something affordable. And considering they went through as much $8+
lb food as they do the cheaper foods, I'll stick to the cheaper foods.

I think you made that point, there was a reason you needed to repeat it?
Did my post some how offend you? That was not my intent. \

Some people have too many fish to freeze their foods.

And your point?

Why don't we stick to what we know/do, and not bring up the problems of
"some people"? Some people don't have fish, some people pay big bucks/lb.
some people don't. Some people freeze, some people don't.... one could go
on and on, picking on some people, or worst, try to validate their point
using "some people".

If :some people: have too many fish to freeze their food, they go thru the
food fast enough they wouldn't need to, don't they? Perhaps these "some
people" can answer that one, and get more OnT action going on RP. )
~ jan

--------------

Old 06-04-2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
I need something affordable. And considering they went through as much
$8+
lb food as they do the cheaper foods, I'll stick to the cheaper foods.

I think you made that point, there was a reason you needed to repeat it?

A lot of information is repeated on NGs.

Did my post some how offend you? That was not my intent. \

No, I was not at all offended. :-)

Some people have too many fish to freeze their foods.

And your point?

The point is not all of us with many fish can afford a separate freezer or
have the space for one. 50lbs of fish food is a lot of food. It's not
going to fit in a regular fridge's freezer as you know.

Why don't we stick to what we know/do, and not bring up the problems of
"some people"?

Huh...... ???

Some people don't have fish, some people pay big bucks/lb.
some people don't. Some people freeze, some people don't.... one could go
on and on, picking on some people, or worst, try to validate their point
using "some people".

What is *your* point? I seem to be missing it.

If :some people: have too many fish to freeze their food, they go thru the
food fast enough they wouldn't need to, don't they?

Not when they buy it by the 50lb bag. Maybe we talking about 2 different
things here..........

Old 06-04-2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

most people seriously overfeed their Koi and GF too. how many fish do you have?
Ingrid

Some people have too many fish to freeze their foods.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 06-04-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
most people seriously overfeed their Koi and GF too. how many fish do you
have?
Ingrid

Some people have too many fish to freeze their foods.

=====================
My NR can't tell who this is addressed to as it's under Jan's but the quote
is from my message. I have between 20 and 25 koi that are up to 6 years
old, about 120 year old koi (that are being delivered this coming week) and
probably 50 goldfish of various sizes and ages. That's why we buy our feed
in 50 lb bags. Last year they and all the fry went through about 100 lbs of
feed. We have a long feeding season here in TN, from mid/late March to late
Nov or early Dec.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

wrote in message

most people seriously overfeed their Koi and GF too. how many fish do you
have? Ingrid

I think this one we can file under the need to "overfeed" when one buys the
cheaper foods to get the same amount of nutrition in the fish as the higher
priced stuff, as you've mentioned.

I found that out with dog food years ago. Small dog, grocery store "cheap"
brand, feed 3 cups. Higher priced, but vet recommended brand, feed 1 cup.
Price difference, practically nil, when one takes in that ratio. Big
difference, how much comes out the other end.

In fish, if your filter can handle it, and you're not worried about the
other concerns, no biggie. With dogs, again if you're not worried about
health concerns (which was the reason that made us switch), if you don't
mind picking up more poo. No biggie.

I don't think any of us here on this newsgroup has a koi in the 50 year age
range, that they've raised in a garden pond setting. When someone does,
that's the person who will get my attention. I bet we find out it comes
down to not just processed food, but quite a bit of natural whole foods
too. ) jmo, ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

~ janj wrote:

I don't think any of us here on this newsgroup has a koi in the 50 year
age range, that they've raised in a garden pond setting. When someone
does, that's the person who will get my attention. I bet we find out it
comes down to not just processed food, but quite a bit of natural whole
foods too. ) jmo, ~ jan

On the side of the cheap-food feeders, there's the argument that nobody here
has a koi in the 50 year age range :-)

I've never lost a koi to disease or starvation. I don't intend to fatten
them up on expensive food just for the sake of the Herons and Raccoons :-)
(I doubt anyone would ever accuse me of overfeeding, either).
--
derek
Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On the side of the cheap-food feeders, there's the argument that nobody
here has a koi in the 50 year age range :-)

My opinion? I'm cheap, I spend as little as I can when I shop for myself,
and the fish aren't any better then me.

If one really wants or needs to be cheap, lower the fish load and they can
live off what falls, crawls, flies, jumps or grows in the pond. ;o) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a