Old 23-04-2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Let's hear whats ponding this weekend?

I potted up the lotus after they had sat for 5 days in clean water.

Did you know that is the recommended thing for lotus divides? I've planted
them directly and had some fail, so we'll see if these do okay after
soaking. By the time I replanted mine, I only had tubers for 2 others
containers to set aside.

Next up was potting up the lily divides, main plants were taken care of
weeks ago, but not all the off shoots. Ended up with 8 of those. Then there
were the cannas, ended up with 7 extra of those.

Went to Costco and got this metal water garden that came with 4 plants.
This will be for my mom's Mom-Day/B-day combined. The plan, she wants
frogs, so I'm hoping this will be big enough to work.

Also hit Lowe's, on the suggestion of a customer at Costco. Did you know
having a mini-pond in your cart is a great conversation started? She told
me Lowe's had quite a few water plants, and boy howdy, was she right.
Nothing new there for me, I either have it or tried and didn't like it. I
did get a couple water hyacinth because it was the only container with 2
small ones in it for $4.97! The others had only 1.

Tomorrow I mow, and clean out the car where the water hyacinth container
spilled out. How was your ponding weekend? ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 23-04-2006, 05:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
Tomorrow I mow, and clean out the car where the water hyacinth container

spilled out. How was your ponding weekend? ~ jan
--------------

Our whole weekend will be spent repairing the berm on the small pond. This
will be a permanent repair even if it means we need a new liner. Today we
drained it, removed the net and net supports and moved the fish into a 500g
holding pool. The plants, covered in their eggs are in a 150g kiddy-pool.
I'll be crawling in diamond-scale butterfly koi. Tomorrow we'll put the
forms in and I hope get to pour some concrete.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-04-2006, 08:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
Our whole weekend will be spent repairing the berm on the small pond.
This will be a permanent repair even if it means we need a new liner.
Today we drained it, removed the net and net supports and moved the fish
into a 500g holding pool. The plants, covered in their eggs are in a 150g
kiddy-pool. I'll be crawling in diamond-scale butterfly koi. Tomorrow
we'll put the forms in and I hope get to pour some concrete.

If one were to look at a satellite photo of your address, would we even find
a pond there?
Thanks to maps.google.com and earth.google.com anyone can view 1 meter
satellite photos.

Old 23-04-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gary Woods

~ janj wrote:

How was your ponding weekend?

Well.... not so great; it's been too cold for much to be happening, though
the hardy lilies are waking up. And I figured out why I hadn't seen Walter
the solitary koi in a bass-infested pond; his body was in the shallows
after the water dropped a few inches from winter's high. He was perhaps
ten years old, and outlived his mistress by nearly five years.
Otherwise, we're getting a nice chilly drizzle to wet down the new seeds in
the garden, and to green up the grass, after a dry early spring.
And despite it all, life goes on. Perhaps that's reward enough!

Old 23-04-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Koi-Lo" impersonated by SNOOZE wrote in message
. net...
"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
Our whole weekend will be spent repairing the berm on the small pond.
This will be a permanent repair even if it means we need a new liner.
Today we drained it, removed the net and net supports and moved the fish
into a 500g holding pool. The plants, covered in their eggs are in a
150g kiddy-pool. I'll be crawling in diamond-scale butterfly koi.
Tomorrow we'll put the forms in and I hope get to pour some concrete.

If one were to look at a satellite photo of your address, would we even
find a pond there?

Why don't you just drive to our house and see for yourself Snooze?

Thanks to maps.google.com and earth.google.com anyone can view 1 meter
satellite photos.

That should make it nice and easy for you to find us.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-04-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

Thanks to maps.google.com and earth.google.com anyone can view 1 meter
satellite photos.

Depends really on the area, and how good coverage is. Here in Waynesville
NC, coverage is pretty poor. I can locate a water tower near my home, but
that's the smallest detail that can be picked out, and it's pretty large.

Detail in cities though, like Google headquarters, and Microsoft's
headquarters are outstanding.

Disneyworld is decent, but not great as well.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 23-04-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Some fraud wrote:

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
Our whole weekend will be spent repairing the berm on the small pond.
This will be a permanent repair even if it means we need a new liner.
Today we drained it, removed the net and net supports and moved the fish
into a 500g holding pool. The plants, covered in their eggs are in a
150g
kiddy-pool. I'll be crawling in diamond-scale butterfly koi. Tomorrow
we'll put the forms in and I hope get to pour some concrete.

If one were to look at a satellite photo of your address, would we even
find a pond there?
Thanks to maps.google.com and earth.google.com anyone can view 1 meter
satellite photos.

You can't even see my _house_ on google. You could spot the ponds of most
rec.ponders who live in decent sized cities. Outside the cities the sat
photos can be years old, and much lower resolution. I'd be surprised if
you could see Jan's ponds either...
--
derek
Old 23-04-2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

You can't even see my _house_ on google. You could spot the ponds of most
rec.ponders who live in decent sized cities. Outside the cities the sat
photos can be years old, and much lower resolution. I'd be surprised if
you could see Jan's ponds either...

Plus, if you have any trees overhead, they will obscure the overhead view.

I could see my Mom's house quite well, and my home in Florida.. the pic was
taken way back when they had flooding, and I could even see my car, and a
big pile of sand the fire department had brought in to fill sandbags with.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 23-04-2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Gareee© wrote:
"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

You can't even see my _house_ on google. You could spot the ponds of most
rec.ponders who live in decent sized cities. Outside the cities the sat
photos can be years old, and much lower resolution. I'd be surprised if
you could see Jan's ponds either...

Plus, if you have any trees overhead, they will obscure the overhead view.

I could see my Mom's house quite well, and my home in Florida.. the pic was
taken way back when they had flooding, and I could even see my car, and a
big pile of sand the fire department had brought in to fill sandbags with.

From the places I've looked at Derek is right....it's hard to spot
stuff on the rural locations (including the UK) and the photos in the
rural areas are also quite old (at least the UK ones I've looked at). I
can see my house very well even down to the car in the drive but I live
in an urban area....and yep, in an urban area you can spot ponds if
large enough but, as on some rural areas you can't even spot the house
the chance of seeing a pond would be non-existent IMO...

Gill
Old 23-04-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I figured out why I hadn't seen Walter
his body was in the shallows

I am SO sorry to hear about Walter's passing, for me, he was like the
rec.ponds mascot Koi. :'(

Do you think you'll replace him? RP needs a Walter II. ~ jan

-----------------

Old 23-04-2006, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I'd be surprised if you could see Jan's ponds either...

Checked it out, and my house is almost a direct shot downward, and I can't
make out any pond. Unlike pools that are bright obvious blue, ponds are
just black holes that kind of blend in with shade from trees and such.
Since there is a lot of building going on in our area, to date it, the
photo looks to be almost a year old. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 23-04-2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

~ janj wrote:
I figured out why I hadn't seen Walter
his body was in the shallows

I am SO sorry to hear about Walter's passing, for me, he was like the
rec.ponds mascot Koi. :'(

Do you think you'll replace him? RP needs a Walter II. ~ jan

-----------------

Back last year when I was lurking around a lot on rec.ponds I really
loved your stories and your mentions of Walter....I am sorry to hear of
his passing.... :-(

Gill
Old 23-04-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gary Woods

~ janj wrote:

Checked it out, and my house is almost a direct shot downward, and I can't
make out any pond.

Gloat warning:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...21&Y=23688&W=1

My pond is the one below and to the right of the bend in the road, and the
house is north of the pond on the right of the road just round the bend (no
snide comments, please!) The clear almost square area below the house is
garden; about 1/4 acre, for scale.

The bass are waking up and prowling the shallows, except for the teenagers
which hang out near the lilies making rude comments to the passers-by.

I'll probably look for another koi; don't know if it will live in an
aquarium first as Walter did, or whether I'll get one too big for the bass
to bother.

Oh, and we've got close to 3 inches of rain in upstate New York since
Saturday morning, after a dry early spring. Just in case, what's a cubit?

Old 23-04-2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Gary Woods wrote:
~ janj wrote:

[...]

Are both of those almost lake things yours? Wow...you are so lucky to
live somewhere with enough land to have ponds like that :-) Suburbia in
the UK very rarely offers that amount of space unless you are loaded
with cash....

Even if you don't replace Walter just yet, could you please start the
stories again - they were a great read :-)

Gill
Old 23-04-2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

~ janj wrote:
[...]

Well, my hint of pond liner hanging around the garden (for months) has
paid off this weekend...hubby now is resigned to the fact that we will
have a pond at some point this spring....as long as he doesn't have to
dig or maintain it he probably won't mind...the danger is that he will
hijack my little pond project and it will become a lot larger - lol

Haven't started digging yet though...too busy digging the rest of the
garden right now - I give it around 3-4 weeks....

Gill