Old 29-05-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

Default Frogs in ponds

I have seen several folks talk about "relocating" frogs. That wouldn't
seem to be a viable alternative in my case. Any frogs in my pond are long
gone by the time I get there. As I get within about 30 feet of the pond
frogs that are present squeak with alarm and jump into the water. All I
see are the rings in the water from where they have jumped in. I have a
chair out there about 20 feet from the water's edge. It used to be a lot
closer to the water, but it has been rather dry here, and the water isn't
even close to where it used to be. If I sit in the chair and remain still
for about 20 min or so, the frogs start to surface and return to shore, but
they are awful skittish. I've sat and watched six times now as snakes
(black racers) come down to the pond to drink and to feed. I think there
are four different snakes, but I'm not absolutely sure, all snakes of a
species tend to look pretty much alike to me, and I have only seen two at
the same time. Anyway, they haven't eaten everything in the pond, not by a
long shot. They are incredibly fast and sneaky, and get a frog every now
and then, but the frogs are also fast and extremely wary, and get away much
more often than not. It's almost enough to make you pity the snake.

As far as daylilies go, I have some that I planted near the end of January.
The water came up in February, and the darn things sprouted and even had
tadpoles sitting on their leaves underwater. It hasn't rained much since
then, and now the daylilies are far from the water. They haven't bloomed
yet, but they seem to be growing as well as the ones that weren't
submerged.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.
Old 29-05-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

They [snakes] are incredibly fast and sneaky, and get a frog every now
and then, but the frogs are also fast and extremely wary, and get away
much
more often than not. It's almost enough to make you pity the snake.

Indeed. I once watched a large bullfrog fight a mud snake. The frog sat on
a rock, and the snake circled him in the water for at least 15 minutes.
Either one could probably have eaten the other - though whether the snake
could have made it to shore with that bullfrog inside, is doubtful! The
snake would make periodic lunges, but the frog always seemed to know when
he would try, and the snake wasn't having any success. The garter snakes
around home probably have a much simpler time with the toads - a frog in or
near water is much more agile than on dry land.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.

LOL! I have a colleague who's an avid birder and runs a banding station in
Nova Scotia - while he knows how to handle them, he has great stories about
new banders and their injuries :-)
--
derek
Old 29-05-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
scs0

Right now I have a container of 11 tree frogs to relocate 3 miles from
my house. I *HATE* tree frogs - they are extremely loud and obnoxious.
Fortunately they are fairly easy to catch but they only come out at
night. I have a headstrapped flashlight and a handheld flashlight.
When I hear them squawking I go out and find them. Usually when found
you can just snatch them up fairly easily especially if you keep a
light pointed at their eyes. As punishment I take them to my screened
in porch and let my cats play with them until I put them into their
container. The cats don't hurt them, and it gives me a bit of
satisfaction.

The only thing my pond attracts that sounds worse than a tree frog is
toads, but I've only had 1 night of toads in the pond. They are slow
and extremely easy to catch.

Old 30-05-2006, 12:47 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 29 May 2006 13:06:33 -0700, "scs0" wrote:

Right now I have a container of 11 tree frogs to relocate 3 miles from
my house. I *HATE* tree frogs - they are extremely loud and obnoxious.

I'm not saying nothin'. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 30-05-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.ponds

In , on 05/29/06
at 04:47 PM, ~ janj said:

Right now I have a container of 11 tree frogs to relocate 3 miles from
my house. I *HATE* tree frogs - they are extremely loud and obnoxious.

I'm not saying nothin'. ~ jan

And here I sit wanting toads, tree frogs, and green frogs, and I get nada.
Seven springs now. Unfair!

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 30-05-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
.net...
In , on 05/29/06
at 04:47 PM, ~ janj said:

Right now I have a container of 11 tree frogs to relocate 3 miles from
my house. I *HATE* tree frogs - they are extremely loud and obnoxious.

I'm not saying nothin'. ~ jan

And here I sit wanting toads, tree frogs, and green frogs, and I get nada.
Seven springs now. Unfair!

Alan

=======================
You must either live in the city or the desert somewhere. If you lived near
middle TN I can give you all the frogs, toads and water snakes you would
ever desire.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-05-2006, 06:28 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Right now I have a container of 11 tree frogs to relocate 3 miles from
my house. I *HATE* tree frogs - they are extremely loud and obnoxious.

I'm not saying nothin'. ~ jan

And here I sit wanting toads, tree frogs, and green frogs, and I get nada.
Seven springs now. Unfair!
Alan

And I can't understand why any one would be upset with the music of randy
frogs.... the problem as I see it is, people get bothered by 1 or 2,
because they sound like kids jumping on old-style bed springs. If they'd
let the numbers build up it becomes white noise.

Too bad original poster doesn't live next to my neighbors who also hate
frogs, so I have to go out and catch my tree frogs once the numbers go
above 2.

If they were smart they'd put in their own pond, that way they couldn't
hear my frogs over their own. hehehe. ;o) ~ jan

-----------------
Old 30-05-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

scs0 wrote:

The only thing my pond attracts that sounds worse than a tree frog is
toads, but I've only had 1 night of toads in the pond.

Worse? The eastern (Gray?) Tree Frogs that I used to get were far worse
than toads. A toad can only trill for about 10-15 seconds (though they
don't take much of a breath before the next round!) but the tree frogs go
much longer _and_ louder. Still I love the sound. Right now, the Spring
Peepers (and an occasional toad) are deafening around my house.
--
derek
Old 30-05-2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

Yea, and I would turn your ****ing sorry ass in for selling or
harrassing natural fauna...you ****ing dumbassed bitch.

On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:19:33 -0500, "Koi-Lo" none wrote:
*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
cast.net...

Old 31-05-2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
PlainBill

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:28:25 -0700, ~ janj
wrote:

[...]

The problem is some people want some fantasy version of nature like in
a Disney cartoon. They haven't grown up enough to understand that
nature isn't like 'Bambi'.

My brother lives about 5 miles from the nearest town. Deer wander
across his yard - and browse in his garden. Frogs live in the low
spot in the pasture and eat insects - and sing at night. He'd rather
have to buy vegtables in town than live in town. He figures deer are
better neighbors than people.

My in-laws bought some lakeshore land and were upset when they
discovered that along with the view and the ocassional waterfowl they
also got frogs, insects, muskrats, pocket gophers, a few racoons, and
a lot of obnoxious fishermen who didn't understand the concept of
'Private Property'. A few discussions with the sheriff and game
warden solved the fisheman problem, but they never came to terms with
the wildlife.

Myself, I've got a trumpet vine growing near the koi pond. In
addition to providing shade and beautiful orange flowers, it attracts
hummingbirds and bees. Since both seem to ignore me, they don't upset
me, but a relative wants me to get rid of the vines because she knows
someone allergic to bees. I suggested she could always stay away,
that way she wouldn't have to worry about the bees.

PlainBill
Old 31-05-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Frogs in ponds - nature

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"PlainBill" wrote in message
news

My brother lives about 5 miles from the nearest town. Deer wander
across his yard - and browse in his garden.

They do here as well unless you have a dog. The squirrels once again got
all our pears. :-(

Frogs live in the low
spot in the pasture and eat insects - and sing at night. He'd rather
have to buy vegtables in town than live in town. He figures deer are
better neighbors than people.

He's right. In many cases the wildlife are better neighbors. We live in a
rural area and our "human" neighbors are fine people.
My in-laws bought some lakeshore land and were upset when they
discovered that along with the view and the ocassional waterfowl they
also got frogs, insects, muskrats, pocket gophers, a few racoons, and
a lot of obnoxious fishermen who didn't understand the concept of
'Private Property'. A few discussions with the sheriff and game
warden solved the fisheman problem, but they never came to terms with
the wildlife.

Here we have city people who buy a home in a subdivision next to a farm and
then complain about odors and noise early in the morning. They want to be
in the country but not have all those country annoyances.

Myself, I've got a trumpet vine growing near the koi pond. In
addition to providing shade and beautiful orange flowers, it attracts
hummingbirds and bees. Since both seem to ignore me, they don't upset
me, but a relative wants me to get rid of the vines because she knows
someone allergic to bees. I suggested she could always stay away,
that way she wouldn't have to worry about the bees.

Now there's the answer..... :-))

PlainBill

Old 31-05-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

PlainBill wrote:

My brother lives about 5 miles from the nearest town. Deer wander
across his yard - and browse in his garden. Frogs live in the low
spot in the pasture and eat insects - and sing at night. He'd rather
have to buy vegtables in town than live in town. He figures deer are
better neighbors than people.

I agree with him

My in-laws bought some lakeshore land and were upset when they
discovered that along with the view and the ocassional waterfowl they
also got frogs, insects, muskrats, pocket gophers, a few racoons, and

Man, I'll take all of them over some of the waterfowl. Though seeing the
Black Duck with _twelve_ chicks in tow last night was cool, and the herons
and kingfishers are always beautiful (you can tell I'm not keeping fish!).

a lot of obnoxious fishermen who didn't understand the concept of
'Private Property'.

Here, in Nova Scotia, there _is_ no such concept. Fishermen have complete
right to wander all over my land if I have done nothing to "improve" it
(ie, they can't walk over a mowed lawn or damage my fences, but since my
fences are minimal (to keep the dog in) and I don't have lawn, they're
pretty much free. Fortunately, my land isn't popular with them - it drives
my neighbors livid!

Myself, I've got a trumpet vine growing near the koi pond. In
addition to providing shade and beautiful orange flowers, it attracts
hummingbirds and bees. Since both seem to ignore me, they don't upset
me, but a relative wants me to get rid of the vines because she knows
someone allergic to bees.

I know people allergic to bees to - would you please tear down that vine?
[That is a _really_ odd attitude]
--
derek
Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.ponds

In , on 05/29/06
at 09:19 PM, "Koi-Lo" none said:

And here I sit wanting toads, tree frogs, and green frogs, and I get nada.
Seven springs now. Unfair!

=======================
You must either live in the city or the desert somewhere. If you lived
near middle TN I can give you all the frogs, toads and water snakes you
would ever desire.

Nope - I live in suburbia, by a woods.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Frogs in ponds - by the woods

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

wrote in message
.net...
In , on 05/29/06
at 09:19 PM, "Koi-Lo" none said:
You must either live in the city or the desert somewhere. If you lived
near middle TN I can give you all the frogs, toads and water snakes you
would ever desire.

Nope - I live in suburbia, by a woods.

How odd then that you have no frogs and other critters coming to your pond.
Those that came to mine may have come from a nearby farmer's stock pond and
a lake less than a mile away. If you're not near any bodies of water that
may account for your froglessness.