Old 24-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Denise

Default OT Harry Potter OT

In the mail today was my reserved copy from Amazon.com

Read first two chapters. Lots of action so far :-)

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 24-06-2003, 03:32 AM
zookeeper

Sent DH and youngest son to Costco for weekly grocery shopping this
afternoon. Came home with Book 5 -- only $16 at Costco, "while supplies
last."

So DS has handed over Book 4, and is already on page 100 of Book 5.
--
zookeeper

Old 24-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Dave Bell

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, zookeeper wrote:

Sent DH and youngest son to Costco for weekly grocery shopping this
afternoon. Came home with Book 5 -- only $16 at Costco, "while supplies
last."

So DS has handed over Book 4, and is already on page 100 of Book 5.
--
zookeeper

Heh... I started to feel bad that I paid $18 pre-ordering at Amazon, until
I remembered. It was supposed to be on my doorstep Saturday, but FeUp blew
it, and it got lost, some 350 miles from home. I emailed customer service
on Sunday, asking what they could do, to see that I got the book. Well,
today the FeUp tracking site showed it back in my area, on the truck for
delivery. I also received a very nice note from Amazon CS, apologizing for
the delay, asking for my patience until Tuesday afternonn, AND, since I
had "qualified" for Saturday delivery and hadn't received it, they
actually refunded the price of the book onto my credit card!! Now THAT is
service...

Dave

Old 24-06-2003, 05:32 AM
K30a

Can't beat free ;-)
B&N.com sold them for $18.49,
no shipping and no tax.
Daughter is finished. Eldest son and I are
on chapter 29.
Youngest son (the one who was camping)
just started - he is the most dyslexic of all the family and just to see him
reading is a treat.

k30a
Old 24-06-2003, 06:44 AM
zookeeper

K30a wrote:
Youngest son ... just started ... just to see him
reading is a treat.

Isn't that the truth!!! Mine are not dyslexic, but have other
challenges, so to see them do anything like reading, writing, puzzles or
games just because they want to is indeed a treat! I even take a
snapshot now and then when they do these things (of course they just
think I'm loosing it even more) just so I can remind myself of what they
can do when able.
--
zookeeper

Old 24-06-2003, 04:44 PM

cult literature.

"Snooze" wrote:

Rich wrote in message ...
Harry who
OK; I we called the kids and they got the grand daughter up at 11 PM and
went to the book store. They were 230 out of 250 books.
They were on the TV news all dressed up in there parts.
I'll wait for the movie I have the first two.

I forgot, someone please remind me. What do they say when grown men and
women line up infront of the movie theater dressed up like Star Trek and
Star Wars character, waiting the next movie.

Sameer

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-06-2003, 04:44 PM

and that is what is really much of the hoo haa about Harry Potter. kids are reading.
now what parents need to do is have a nice stack of other gripping books sitting
there, or take em to the library. Ingrid

zookeeper wrote:

K30a wrote:
Youngest son ... just started ... just to see him
reading is a treat.

Isn't that the truth!!! Mine are not dyslexic, but have other
challenges, so to see them do anything like reading, writing, puzzles or
games just because they want to is indeed a treat! I even take a
snapshot now and then when they do these things (of course they just
think I'm loosing it even more) just so I can remind myself of what they
can do when able.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 25-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Gabrielle

No time to fess up -- too busy reading the fifth Harry Potter! (Amazon
pre-order, arrived on time.)

Gabrielle

K30a wrote:
Okay, time to fess up.
How many rec.ponders are going to be reading
the Harry Potter fifth book today? (me!)
My 17-yr-old daughter is going to crawl into
the mailbox and wait for the postman to arrive.

k30a

Old 25-06-2003, 04:56 AM
sandra

wrote in message
and that is what is really much of the hoo haa about Harry Potter. kids

are reading.
now what parents need to do is have a nice stack of other gripping books

sitting
there, or take em to the library. Ingrid

When I was a child in the 60's we used to have a newspaper sort of item
called "weekly reader". I looked forward to that. Also had an opportunity to
pre-order short story type cheap paper backs in school. They ran about .25
each and we would spend an enormous amount of time figuring out which ones
to order by reading descriptions off the teachers order form. I only had .50
to $1 to spend ea. time so choosing wisely was important. Then began the
wait for the books to arrive..what fun that was when they came and the
teacher passed them out to us. I had forgotten that.
sandra

Old 25-06-2003, 06:38 AM
*muffin*

Ok, I'll add to this..

a couple years ago I was thinking about all those books I got as a kid in
school off of those lists. of course I couldn't remember the titles,, BUT I
went to a children's book newsgroup , described a few books, & wouldn't you
know,, they told me the names ( which I promptly found on ebay,,,,,,,,, oooh
I LOVE ebay for getting childhood things long lost). also scholastic has a
web page that lists EVERY book they ever published!

Muffin who is now a packrat,, after tossing out all childhood things &
regretting it,,,,,,,,, especially the piece of carpet from the Beatles suite
in Cleveland hotel...hmmmph.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:20 AM
zookeeper

sandra wrote:
When I was a child in the 60's we used to have a newspaper sort of item
called "weekly reader" ... Also had an opportunity to
pre-order short story type cheap paper backs in school.

They still have Weekly Reader (my boys had them in grades 3-5), and
Scholastic Books (and another two or three companies) still have the
inexpensive books that can be ordered and purchased in group by
classroom. And as someone mentioned, Scholastic Books also has a web
site and books can be ordered there (and credited to a school -- the
school then receives free books based on the number of books ordered).

My favorite childhood book: The Secret Garden -- checked it out so many
times in 3rd grade, the librarian finally made me check out 8-10 other
books before she'd let me read it again. :-) Wise lady, although I did
plenty of grumbling then. Every time we visit a local book reseller I
look for that particular edition and will pay whatever it costs when I
find it.
--
zookeeper

Old 25-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

zookeeper wrote:

My favorite childhood book: The Secret Garden -- checked it out so many
times in 3rd grade, the librarian finally made me check out 8-10 other
books before she'd let me read it again. :-) Wise lady, although I did
plenty of grumbling then. Every time we visit a local book reseller I
look for that particular edition and will pay whatever it costs when I
find it.
--
zookeeper

That was also my daughters favorite. She had 3 copies.
That lasted until she discovered Narnia. She had a walk-in
closet that she converted to a library. If she didn't
answer when I called I always knew where to find her.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 PM
PlainBill

I've read all 5 of the Harry Potter books (I read the first one in a 6
hour marathon while babysitting). My 3 year old Granddaughter is a
fan of the movies, and I've promised to start reading the books to her
(I suspect she'll bypass the middleman about the time we reach "Goblet
of Fire".

The fact that an entire generation of kids is getting hooked on
reading justifies every bit of hype about the books (the fact that
they manage to offend certain conservative religious types is just
gravy). Does anyone know a kid who has received a book in the series
and NOT read it?

PlainBill

On 24 Jun 2003 04:27:11 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Can't beat free ;-)
B&N.com sold them for $18.49,
no shipping and no tax.
Daughter is finished. Eldest son and I are
on chapter 29.
Youngest son (the one who was camping)
just started - he is the most dyslexic of all the family and just to see him
reading is a treat.

k30a

Review of Alnwick Garden (Part of Alnwick Castle, which was Hogworts School in Harry Potter) [email protected] Gardening 0 19-03-2007 06:33 PM
OT new Harry Potter film dkat Ponds 19 10-06-2004 08:06 AM
OT Education was new Harry Potter film Ka30P Ponds 5 10-06-2004 05:12 AM
new Harry Potter film [email protected] Ponds 26 09-06-2004 03:14 PM
Shrek 2, weas new Harry Potter film Tom L. La Bron Ponds 9 09-06-2004 03:12 PM