Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 PM
PlainBill

Default OT Harry Potter OT

Sometimes, in spite of a parent's best efforts, a child will go bad.
You have my sympathy. Perhaps your son will see thefolly of his
beliefs.

PlainBill

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:14:34 -0400, "*muffin*"
wrote:

ok, I'm fessing,,
I have NEVER read any of the books.

my grandson, though, has watched the DVD of the 1st Harry potter, here, a
gazillion times,, ( I never got around to it!!)

one of these days,,,,,,,I'll read the books.

Muffin who's 30something son thinks Harry Potter is B*A*D for kids (
something about sorcery & against the bible....... **major sigh**)
"K30a" wrote in message

Okay, time to fess up.
How many rec.ponders are going to be reading
the Harry Potter fifth book today? (me!)
My 17-yr-old daughter is going to crawl into
the mailbox and wait for the postman to arrive.

k30a

Old 25-06-2003, 05:20 PM
K30a

Eldest two children finished the book, followed by mom (who still had to
produce meals and clean laundry, drag kids to doctors' visits, football
training, dept. of motor vehicles...)

I'm taking my copy to my SIL and when she finishes it we will sit down for a
good long book discussion.

k30a
Old 25-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Nedra

PlainBill, Just because a kid turns out "different" does NOT
mean he is bad. I have a son who is a perfect throw-back to
his maternal great-grandparent's ways of thinking. He is
now 50 years old - has a beautiful family... and a gorgeous
granddaughter baby. Dave is my rock.

You are throwing in the towel on kids who are different - not
Bad!!!!

Nedra

Old 25-06-2003, 09:44 PM
*muffin*

: )

MY son, after entering the air Force ( he turns lieutenant this week)
became very religious & belief in the Bible is paramount to him.
My father-in-law is a Methodist minister & he grew up around church,but in
his teens, was one of those indifferent kids.

I am pleased he has such *faith* , but its too much for me,, at one
point he said his son could NOT go out for trick-or-treat (arrghhh)
luckily he has changed his opinion back on that point. But he has very high
thoughts about sorcery( its against the bible)..
go fig........ he does go see the 'lord of the rings' movies,, guess that is
diff.......

other than that,,,,,,,,, he is a wonderful son & father!!
yup, different,, NOT bad...

Muffin off to see his graduation.......

thlink.net...

Old 26-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Nedra

Hi Muffin, Gee I'm glad you posted. Dave and his wife
were so adamant about Halloween too. I couldn't say
anything ... just because they were raising the children ..
I'd already had my chance. I too am from a Methodist
background. My Great Grandfather was a Circuit Rider ...
then he settled down to preach in only two churches.
Son Dave is just like him. Has "Uncle Dave's" Bible and reads
from it Alot!

Nedra

"*muffin*" wrote in message
: )

MY son, after entering the air Force ( he turns lieutenant this week)
became very religious & belief in the Bible is paramount to him.
My father-in-law is a Methodist minister & he grew up around church,but in
his teens, was one of those indifferent kids.

I am pleased he has such *faith* , but its too much for me,, at one
point he said his son could NOT go out for trick-or-treat (arrghhh)
luckily he has changed his opinion back on that point. But he has very

high
thoughts about sorcery( its against the bible)..
go fig........ he does go see the 'lord of the rings' movies,, guess that

is
diff.......

other than that,,,,,,,,, he is a wonderful son & father!!
yup, different,, NOT bad...

Muffin off to see his graduation.......

thlink.net...

(

Old 26-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Denise

I can't understand the people who claim Harry Potter will turn our
children into Satan followers and black magic users and all that other
crap they insist on. What the hell are they scared of LMAO!

Here's my take on what Harry Potter is about, from the very first page
of the very first book...Harry Potter shows us the respect and support
that make up true friendships, the perseverance of a young boy against
outrageous obstacles and the strong protective love between parents and
child, the kind of love that all families should know (but don't too
often).

Denise
Up to page 104 :-)

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 26-06-2003, 11:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Although i love to read and can read books very rapidly, i do not wish to
read the harry potter books. Funny enough, my 9 yr. old son, who also likes
to read, never wanted anything to do with them either. Hasn't even seen a
Harry Potter movie and does not even wish to own any of the HP toys. I guess
HP just isnt for our family.
Cathy

Wait till he's Harry age at the start of the series, I always liked to read
about kids my own age, up until I was in my thirties, then it didn't
matter.

HP is how we got the youngest to read, I paid him $1/chapter. Course to get
the 2nd book he had to use his money from reading the first, and no, he
didn't get paid to read something he wanted to read. So glad he was hooked
after the 1st chapter and went on to read other books in the house. He's
been bookless lately, so I'm hoping HP 5 will inspire him again on the joys
of reading.

Wish I had the time, I can't even keep up with RP, let alone my koi
magazines.s ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 27-06-2003, 02:20 AM
John Rutz

--

I have seen all the HP movies so far an you guys have convinced me to
read the books when I cn't get outside to play

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 27-06-2003, 04:08 AM
PlainBill

I beg to disagree. I challenge anyone to READ any of the Harry Potter
books and point out any passages that are anti-religion OR promote
disrespect for competent authority.

If a 30 year old believes the books are anti-religious, and a bad
influence on children, he has either not read them (the usual cause),
or is so rigidly locked into his religion that he feels anything that
does not pay homage to God is bad. In either case, he fits MY
definition of 'BAD'.

Note that I do not criticize anyone who has read (or tried to read)
the books and put them down because they found them uninteresting, nor
anyone who has not even bothered to try to read them, and has no
opinion on them. Tastes vary, and to each his own.

PlainBill

Old 27-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Dave Bell

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, PlainBill wrote:

I beg to disagree. I challenge anyone to READ any of the Harry Potter
books and point out any passages that are anti-religion OR promote
disrespect for competent authority.

If a 30 year old believes the books are anti-religious, and a bad
influence on children, he has either not read them (the usual cause),
or is so rigidly locked into his religion that he feels anything that
does not pay homage to God is bad. In either case, he fits MY
definition of 'BAD'.

Note that I do not criticize anyone who has read (or tried to read)
the books and put them down because they found them uninteresting, nor
anyone who has not even bothered to try to read them, and has no
opinion on them. Tastes vary, and to each his own.

PlainBill

Yeah, all that is perfectly correct, EXCEPT you are overlooking the
fundamentalist belief that (Ooohhh!) SORCERY is, prima facie, associated
with satanism and also expressly forbidden by the Bible. Well, at least in
oneor some translations into modern English, it is. If I recall, the
relevany passage (and I'm sure I'll be corrected, if not!) is to the
effect of, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Some scholars prefer
the translation "poisoner" to "witch", perhaps referring to one who
poisons wells, something Christians have at times accused Jews of...

Dave

Old 27-06-2003, 05:44 PM
PlainBill

Dave,

Precisely my point. There are two reasons given - the disputed
translation ('poisoner' vrs 'witch'), and the belief that a witch must
also be a Satanist.

What I find most revealing is that the book does not even deal with
witchcraft. JK Rowling uses Wizard and Scorcery.

PlainBill

Old 28-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Mary Alice Kropp

Well, of course, that begs the question of where the Bible actually comes
from and why it was written as it was- a debate that is not likely to be
solved, academically or religiously, anytime soon.

Also, most of the fundamentalists have a tendency to ignore the long and
ancient tradition in Judaic and early Christian religious practice that
embraces mysticism and some of what could easily fall under the category of
"magic."

All that aside, my take on the whole HP thing is that they are just plain
good stories- enjoy 'em as such!

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 6/22/03

Better to be occasionally cheated than perpetually suspicious.

It's more fun to color outside the lines.

Review of Alnwick Garden (Part of Alnwick Castle, which was Hogworts School in Harry Potter) [email protected] Gardening 0 19-03-2007 06:33 PM
OT new Harry Potter film dkat Ponds 19 10-06-2004 08:06 AM
OT Education was new Harry Potter film Ka30P Ponds 5 10-06-2004 05:12 AM
new Harry Potter film [email protected] Ponds 26 09-06-2004 03:14 PM
Shrek 2, weas new Harry Potter film Tom L. La Bron Ponds 9 09-06-2004 03:12 PM