Old 26-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Lydia

Default what to do with dead animals in pond?

My DH and I want to have a small pond in our backyard one day and this is
such an excellent group! I have no experience [yet] to ever help others
with their questions here, but may I ask... I see a lot of posts about
animals that commit suicide in ponds. What do you do with them when you
find them? How do you dispose of them?

We have wetlands directly behind our house and farm land in front of it with
the rest of a new housing community to the sides. I've seen many, many
wonderful birds fliting around out there and hopefully they'll begin using
the new birdbath we just got for them. We have lots of bunnies scampering
around. And the chorus of frogs at night is so nice. Just the other day we
had a weasel stroll through our backyard! I'm sure there's plenty of other
critters out there.

Thanks,
Lydia

Old 26-06-2003, 09:20 PM
jammer

I dipped the drowned rat out yesterday and threw him in the outside
garbage can.

Old 26-06-2003, 09:56 PM
joe

Lydia wrote:

What do you do with them when you
find them? How do you dispose of them?

I tend to bury them.

Hmm. Now that I think about that, that's an odd thing for an atheist.

Joe

Old 26-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Lydia wrote:
[...]

Hi Lydia,

It is a rare occasion that we find anything dead in the
pond. When something is found it is removed and buried.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

joe wrote:
Lydia wrote:

What do you do with them when you
find them? How do you dispose of them?

I tend to bury them.

Hmm. Now that I think about that, that's an odd thing for an atheist.

Joe

I think of it as nourishing the soil.

Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 PM
zookeeper

Sam Hopkins wrote:
We eat them.

"Lydia" wrote in message

animals that commit suicide in ponds. What do you do with them when you
find them? How do you dispose of them?

ROFL!! Especially after having just replied to Joe's atheist comment.

[Okay, someone has to invent an online acronym for spraying the computer
monitor with a beverage when reading a particular funny or irreverent
message. Where's our linguists?]
--
zookeeper

Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 PM
zookeeper

joe wrote:
Lydia wrote:
What do you do with them when you
find them? How do you dispose of them?

I tend to bury them.

Hmm. Now that I think about that, that's an odd thing for an atheist.

Not really Joe. Even wild animals, who are not atheist AFAIK, bury other
dead animals -- okay, so it's mostly to preserve their future meals, but
bury them they do. And it wouldn't really be odd, unless you were saying
some special words and erecting a grave site monument each time you
performed one of these burials. The type of burying you're doing is also
called "composting" or "fertilizing." ;-)
--
Kathy B
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 26-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Tbumpy

Barbeque
Old 26-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Hank Pagel

What's on the menu at the "Roadkill Cafe" tonight?
Bury them? Nope!
Send them on vacation to the county landfill? Yep! (garbage can)

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
We eat them.

Old 26-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Michael Shaffer

Only dead thing I've found is a couple small frogs and tadpoles, I just
throw them in the woods.

Old 26-06-2003, 11:44 PM
K30a

We put them in the freezer and send them into science class.
We've also sent in containers of pond water, various pond scum and snails for
science teachers.
I was really happy to hear a teacher say that looking at pond critters through
a microscope really intrigued one student and engaged him in science class like
he'd never been before.

k30a
Old 26-06-2003, 11:44 PM
joe

Tbumpy wrote:

Barbeque

Wow. If I ever find a dead cow in my pond I'm gonna s**t.

Joe

Old 26-06-2003, 11:56 PM
John Rutz

Lydia wrote:
[...]

-- welcome to the group and ask away we will try to help
as far as animals that die in pond i have very few Othe than fish
we just bury em somewhere on the acres

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 27-06-2003, 12:20 AM
John Rutz

zookeeper wrote:
Sam Hopkins wrote:

We eat them.

"Lydia" wrote in message

animals that commit suicide in ponds. What do you do with them when you
find them? How do you dispose of them?

ROFL!! Especially after having just replied to Joe's atheist comment.

[Okay, someone has to invent an online acronym for spraying the computer
monitor with a beverage when reading a particular funny or irreverent
message. Where's our linguists?]
--
zookeeper

-- BEOKAM beverage ejected on keyboard and monitor ??