Old 10-07-2003, 09:09 PM
jammer

Default Raccoon Repellent

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:58:56 -0700, "bobkiely"
wrote:

What am I going to do now?

You dont want to trap and release elsewhere?

Old 10-07-2003, 09:10 PM
BenignVanilla

"bobkiely" wrote in message
What am I going to do now? Well I am not going to remove all my water
hyacinths for sure. One of them is blooming. Actually I have to take the

5th
on what my next step will be. All I can say that I believe in fate and

luck.
It was the raccoon's fate that he found my pond and also his bad luck that
he has to deal with my defending it. If you think of them as a very large
disease carrying rodent who wants to decimate all the work and money

you've
put into your pond as well as killing your pets, then escalating the force
with which you defend it seems rational. And during that escalation if the
size of the projectile has to increase slightly and the propellant changes
from air to something that creates a larger echo across the lake, then so

be
it.

snip

Do you know someone with a mid to large sized dog? I wonder if you could
borrow it for a week or so? I would think a snarling, barking dog would do
the trick.

BV.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:10 PM
bobkiely

BV....I know....somebody initially suggested I just call animal control and
have them deal with it. Well what fun is that?? I'm a writer and I need the
material! This banter back and forth between all the contributors could be
the basis of a TV sitcom or at least a very funny short story. I just cut
and pasted some of the best posts on this thread and sent it to all my
friends who rely on me to provide them with some weekly humor. I see most of
them on Friday nights and if for some reason I didn't send anything that
week, some actually complain like their paying for a subscription or
something. :-)
BK

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"bobkiely" wrote in message
Hank, FYI, I took this off the Haveahart.com website:
"Raccoons are known carriers of several diseases that are transmittable

humans and pets. Diseases such as rabies, tuberculosis, canine and

feline
distemper, and parasites such as roundworm. Roundworm is contracted by
humans accidentally ingesting or inhaling eggs that are passed through

the
raccoon feces. Children are at risk because while playing could get it

on
their hands and then, as children will do, put their hands in their

mouths.
Remind children not to go near them. Be a responsible pet owner and keep
your pets away from raccoons."

snip

I am laughing silly over here, at you guys not being able to get rid of
these coons. This IS EASY!!! Come on! I suggest you rent CaddyShack, get a
pencil and some paper and take notes.

BV.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:16 PM
jammer

Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Hank Pagel

I know you are trying to convince yourself, because I see them as
highly intelligent mammals that just happen to be lower on the food
chain than us. (No not a tree-hugger, just respect) I also would leave
the fifth alone, booze and firearms don't mix. For me extermination
would be the last resort.
On the other hand we will see what tomorrow brings now that mama
is relocated. I had to dump her out of the cage and she ran like hell.
WHEW!!!! Me man! Vicious animals run from me! So much for the macho
crap, glad she ran, I think she was faster than me anyway.

"bobkiely" wrote in message
[...]

After all, if he would just walk another 200 yards he would be at

that
24-acre lake full of largemouth bass, bluegill, catfish and carp. He

comes
to my pond because it's a lot smaller and easier to fish in. Well,

easier is
not always better as there is a much bigger hazard to fishing in my

pond.
BK

"infoseeker" reply by post thx wrote in message
OH NO!!!
What are you going to try next? Maybe I should return my urine

(ha ha)
now
without using it. Those raccoons make water gardens hard to do

(with
fish).

and, yes, I'm also at war with moles. And the moles are mocking

me. They
sit in the burrows and laugh- I'm sure of it. I stick mole bombs

(sulfur)
down the holes, and the next morning, the wrappers are

unceremoniously
tossed onto the grass right outside the hole! I feel for sure

that they
are
just giggling their way through my lawn. And yes, I tried Castor

oil a
few
years ago- man that stuff is hard to spray. The result? The best

looking
moles you ever saw! Hey, maybe this is a side business waiting to

happen-
if I could catch the critters! (And yes, tried traps, but it

didn't kill
the guy- and that was traumatic- for us. We actually freed the

guy in a
near by wild wild park- not pretty lawns). Perhaps the moles and

raccoons
are haivng laughing parties at my expense!

"bobkiely" wrote in message
*LOL* You sir are just a little TOO MUCH! *LOL* The dispensers

are
little
bottles about the size and shape of shampoo bottles you get in a

hotel
with
3/8" circles cut out on all 4 sides, a cotton ball inside and a

small
cable
tie used to hang it from whatever you choose. Now maybe you can

purge
that
other image from your mind. :-)

This however, is all moot as (the following in 48pt, bold,

underlined,
color
bright red)....THE COYOTE URINE DOES NOT, repeat DOES NOT WORK!

The next
report I give on the coyote urine is whether I was able to

retrieve my
$16.78 from the place I bought it!

Fortunately I saw him within 20-30 seconds of his arrival. When

I jumped
up
he saw me through the window and ran back out through the gate.

Once
there
he made a 180 and looked back in through the gate. His nose was

2 " away
from the CP dispenser for for at least 10 seconds. No reaction

at all -
nada - nothing. Then not seeing me he decided to come back in

and I was
waiting for him and without going into detail, I discouraged him

again
and
he left and didn't come back.

BK

"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
BK, I'm sorry but something you said keeps sticking in my

mind ....."
So I went
over there
and bought an 8 oz bottle plus a couple of

dispensers."
Somehow I keep picturing the original dispenser the coyote

used, in a
blister pack, hanging on a hook in the store. ...............

and you
buying two of them.
On a serious note, They have not touched my

WH but
they have torn out 80% of my water cress. I thought they were

just mad
at me but the water cress does taste pretty good. That could

be the
target. They think it's a salad bar with frog legs, escargot

and sushi
side dishes.

"bobkiely" wrote in message
Hank: 3 straight nights now since I marked my territory with

CP and
no
visits from the Raccoons. (Fingers crossed/knock on wood) I

even
took down
my soft drink can pyramid (well today is trash day too).
BK

Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Hank Pagel

Got the movie.
Took notes.
How will floating a candy bar in the pool get rid of raccoons????
Seriously, even talking about using those kind of nitrates on the web
could get you in trouble these days.

"bobkiely" wrote in message
Hank, FYI, I took this off the Haveahart.com website:
"Raccoons are known carriers of several diseases that are

transmittable to

Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
zookeeper

Hank Pagel wrote:
On the other hand we will see what tomorrow brings now that mama
is relocated. I had to dump her out of the cage and she ran like hell.
... I think she was faster than me anyway.

Hank, glad to hear the relocations are going well. Will have to keep a
cage trap in mind if our neighborhood raccoons return this summer. I've
cut back all the "weed" blackberries to remove some of the food items,
and we didn't put in our summer garden this year so no tomatoes to
attract the ringed bandits. Hope that will work as I've just replaced
the cattails, cotton grass, star grass and replanted my spiral rush and
pickerel weed. Keeping fingers crossed and praying to pond goddesses,
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 10-07-2003, 11:22 PM
*muffin*

yes, that is why we used them. so our barn cats would not be caught.

raccoons LOVE them

"K30a" wrote in message

Supposedly they like marshmellows.
You have to tie them in as a raccoon once picked
up the trap and shook the marshmellows out.
The advantage is that your neighbor's cat usually isn't very fond of
marshmellows.

k30a

Old 11-07-2003, 04:34 AM
Perk

Hi all,

How about making up a diluted solution of tobasco (hot) sauce and sugar (to help
it stick) and spraying it on your water hyacinths.

Might make the rascals decide to change their diet. Not sure if it would
injure the plants though.

Perk

Old 11-07-2003, 04:34 AM
jammer

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:15:27 -0700, Perk wrote:

Hi all,

How about making up a diluted solution of tobasco (hot) sauce and sugar (to help
it stick) and spraying it on your water hyacinths.

Might make the rascals decide to change their diet. Not sure if it would
injure the plants though.

Perk

Or spray them with the coyote urine.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
.. .
Got the movie.
Took notes.
How will floating a candy bar in the pool get rid of raccoons????
Seriously, even talking about using those kind of nitrates on the web
could get you in trouble these days.

snip

"Hey Mr. Gopher, it's just me Mr. Rabbit...not some plastic 'splosives r
nuttin'"

BV.

Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Hank Pagel

You don't remember the candy bar, do you?
I took a lot of ribbing because of it's name.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
.. .

raccoon problems cr Ponds 6 16-05-2019 06:15 AM
Raccoon repellent Dwayne Edible Gardening 2 12-11-2004 10:14 AM
Raccoon visit #2 bobkiely Ponds 17 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM