Old 15-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Oxymel of Squill

Default corkscrew fish?

I have a fish doing wild corkscrew movements around the pond and floating
upside down. Does anyone know what this is or what I can do about it?
TIA
Jon

Old 15-02-2005, 10:44 PM

Start by adding non-iodized salt to the water. Dissolve 1#/100 gallons
of water and add it gradually. Then go to AKCA-Koi USA to do some
research. It is possible you need to add oxygen to the water. Good luck.

Old 15-02-2005, 10:51 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:06:12 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

I have a fish doing wild corkscrew movements around the pond and floating
upside down. Does anyone know what this is or what I can do about it?
TIA
Jon

Google for Twirling Disease, but I think the only thing you can do if it is
bad is put it down. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 16-02-2005, 12:41 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have a fish doing wild corkscrew movements around the pond and floating
upside down. Does anyone know what this is or what I can do about it?
TIA
Jon

Google for Twirling Disease, but I think the only thing you can do if it is
bad is put it down. ~ jan

Sorry, it's Whirling Disease, go he
http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html or www.koivet.com
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 16-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Roy

Nothing like a blind diagnosis..or would that be a wild assed guess?

I am in awe yu did not suggest SALT

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:51:57 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:06:12 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"
===wrote:
===
===I have a fish doing wild corkscrew movements around the pond and floating
===upside down. Does anyone know what this is or what I can do about it?
===TIA
===Jon
===
===Google for Twirling Disease, but I think the only thing you can do if it is
===bad is put it down. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 16-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Roy,

already did suggest adding salt. Then in the same breath
talks about adding oxygen to the water, which is kind of silly because the
salt prevents the water from holding on to the oxygen. Seems like an
oxymoron of a technique to me. This time of the year it may not be to bad
depending on where Oxymel of Squill lives (UK I think), but in the Summer
time when warmed water holds even less oxygen adding salt can really cause
problems. And remember, the big fish always die first.

Tom L.L.

wrote:

===On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:06:12 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"

===

Old 16-02-2005, 05:06 AM
Steve

Good point Roy! How could anyone be so irresponsible as to offer an
answer to someone's questions without first asking the original poster
to FedEx the fish to them so they can evaluate the symptoms first
hand? Or maybe just putting the sick fish on the scanner and
attaching a picture to the post would be good enough.

OF COURSE IT IS A BLIND DIAGNOSIS!. It was a two sentence post on a
newsgroup. If they wanted a complete professional medical evaluation
they would have found a vet that will treat fish. But they didn't;
they posted a question here.

You must not be getting enough rest lately. Or maybe you were just in
a hurry. Either way, we all know you can flame better than that. So
get some rest and remember that if a post isn't worth flaming well,
it's not worth flaming at all.

Steve

wrote:

===On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:06:12 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"
===

Old 17-02-2005, 01:05 AM
RichToyBox

Roy,

Read this link on Doc Johnson's web site,
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/... rch_term=salt
where he discusses salt. I think that before any treatments are performed,
a microscopic examination needs to be performed to best know what treatment
should be used. Many of the treatments are expensive, especially when
treating a whole pond.

My arsenal for treatments includes salt, anchors away (for anchor worm and
fish lice), and supa-verm (for flukes). I occasionally use PP, mainly to
clean the water of organics. PP and formalin are both neutralized by
organics in the pond, so it is difficult to know whether you have used the
correct dosage. Formalin also requires a 50% water change, which is time
consuming. Doc Johnson, and others have published symptoms that will help
identify the problem, and help in determining which remedy is best, with
salt always being first.

Of course one of the best means of controlling parasites is to maintain
pristine water. The fish have lived with parasites since the beginning of
time and as long as they are not stressed by poor water quality, they should
be able to live with a moderate number in the pond. The thing with
parasites is that they seem to know when a fish is stressed, attack it
harder, possibly killing it, and multiplying out of control, so that they
can overtake the other fish in the pond.
--
RichToyBox

"Roy" wrote in message
On 15 Feb 2005 14:44:53 -0800, wrote:

===Start by adding non-iodized salt to the water. Dissolve 1#/100
gallons
===of water and add it gradually. Then go to AKCA-Koi USA to do some
===research. It is possible you need to add oxygen to the water. Good
luck.

Yea, salt, thats what you need, SALT the miracle cure and secret
fixall of Rec.ponders...I would use at least 100# per gal and do it
right! At that rate it matters not if its iodized or kosher!

Old 17-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Roy

Yea Doc Johnsons approach is much the same as this group in a lot of
things,..........and of all folks to screw up royally and OD their
high dollar koi on PP ....he reallay needs to stick to salt and leave
opther chemicals to those that know a little more about them than he
evidently does..But its on the internet so it must be true.....but he
is an author of a few books, so he must know what he is
doing..........I personally wold trust Dr. Solo before Johnson.
Nothing is on his site that is not on many university fish biology
sites in different wording.......and they are an organization I would
put my faith in in stead of an internet fish doctor out to make a buck
and still screw up like he does..............

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:05:44 -0500, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

===Roy,
===

Old 18-02-2005, 07:35 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Roy" wrote in message
Yea Doc Johnsons approach is much the same as this group in a lot of
things,..........and of all folks to screw up royally and OD their
high dollar koi on PP

$$ So I take it you have a problem with Dr. Johnson. I used PP on his
recommendation and cleaned up several problems without killing any fish.
Koizyme keeps the ulcers away. I can thank Johnson for saving my fish
several years ago.

.....he reallay needs to stick to salt and leave
opther chemicals to those that know a little more about them than he
evidently does..

$$ Like who?

But its on the internet so it must be true.....but he
is an author of a few books, so he must know what he is
doing..........

$$ He's saved many people's fish over the years, including mine. That
seems to bother you for some reason. Did he somehow misdiagnose *your* fish
problem?

I personally wold trust Dr. Solo before Johnson.

$$ Why, since she's not a licensed veterinarian?

Nothing is on his site that is not on many university fish biology
sites in different wording.......and they are an organization I would
put my faith in in stead of an internet fish doctor out to make a buck
and still screw up like he does..............

Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."
Completely FREE softwa
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 18-02-2005, 07:40 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Steve" wrote in message
Good point Roy! How could anyone be so irresponsible as to offer an
answer to someone's questions without first asking the original poster
to FedEx the fish to them so they can evaluate the symptoms first
hand? Or maybe just putting the sick fish on the scanner and
attaching a picture to the post would be good enough.

$$ Hey,... his friend makes diagnoses over the PHONE!!!! You can't beat
that with a stick.

OF COURSE IT IS A BLIND DIAGNOSIS!. It was a two sentence post on a
newsgroup. If they wanted a complete professional medical evaluation
they would have found a vet that will treat fish. But they didn't;
they posted a question here.

$$ Dandyorandas must be desperate for business........

You must not be getting enough rest lately. Or maybe you were just in
a hurry. Either way, we all know you can flame better than that. So
get some rest and remember that if a post isn't worth flaming well,
it's not worth flaming at all.

Steve

$$ I think Roy needs a vacation from this NG.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 18-02-2005, 10:09 PM
WJHenderson

If your so concerned I need to get away on a vacation when can I
expect the check to cover same...........if no check is to follow, pay
attention to your own business and don't worry what I do or do not
need........

And how would my posting about Dandy Orandas, be interpreted to mean
they are desperate for business..Hell I don't know.....

Read it again

DANDY ORANDAS

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:40:30 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

===
. net...

Old 18-02-2005, 11:13 PM
~ Windsong ~

"WJHenderson" wrote in message
If your so concerned I need to get away on a vacation when can I
expect the check to cover same...........if no check is to follow, pay
attention to your own business and don't worry what I do or do not

And how would my posting about Dandy Orandas, be interpreted to mean
they are desperate for business..Hell I don't know.....

Because any business that would hire someone like you to SPAM Usenet has to
be *desperate* beyond belief. You can't be here wasting your time and ours
for "nothing."
--

Carol.... the frugal ponder...