Old 21-04-2005, 07:48 PM
kathy

Default what are you going to try, do, new in the pond this year

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the continuing
attacks so thought I'd create a new topic.

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?
A new plant, make a veggie filter, build a bog,
try a different kind of fish, add a turtle, repel
invaders, or build a new pond or container water
garden?

kathy
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 21-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Gary Woods

"kathy" wrote:

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the continuing
attacks so thought I'd create a new topic.

The killfile is good. The killfile is your friend. A very few entries
improve the signal:noise something wonderful!

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?

After several years of doldrums (is the plural doldra? ), I'm getting my
aged butt in gear. Not really new stuff, but paying more attention. I had
several lotus that died from overcrowding during the Dark Ages; I got one
started last summer and expect it to winter OK, though no new growth yet.
The "Mrs. Perry D. Slocum" I got from Lilypons a couple of weeks ago is
putting up a couple of shoots, and another plant is due to arrive next
week.

Some of the hardies divided, and will get dropped back in the pond
hopefully this evening, and Morning Glories to grow on the memorial gazebo
to make it an even better place for reflection.

And of course, the regular garden; I'm already behind, but I know I've got
lots of company...

Peace,

Old 21-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Elaine T

kathy wrote:
Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the continuing
attacks so thought I'd create a new topic.

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?
A new plant, make a veggie filter, build a bog,
try a different kind of fish, add a turtle, repel
invaders, or build a new pond or container water
garden?

kathy
www.blogfromthebog.com

I built my first water garden ever. It's 3 whiskey barrels connected by
spillways on my patio. I've got all sorts of plants in it now - the
umbrella palm and marginal grasses are doing the best. I put my first
lily in this weekend, and can't wait to see the first lily pad. I also
bought a gorgeous dwarf canna, iris, and pickerel weed. It's turning
out to be a challenge but I've gotten tons of help around here.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 21-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Bonnie NJ

Hi Kathy,
I'm thinking of moving the frog pond. I'm wondering if the frogs will
cooporate. DH said go ahead - that means he has no thought of helping ;-).

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 21-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Gareee©

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the continuing
attacks so thought I'd create a new topic.

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?
A new plant, make a veggie filter, build a bog,
try a different kind of fish, add a turtle, repel
invaders, or build a new pond or container water
garden?

We added many new plants this year, tossed in some of the awful tasting
watercresss (YUCK!), and I built a filter for my spitter pump, hoping it'll
help cure my greenwater.

Frogs have discovered our pond (new las year), and we have about 2 dozen or
so now, plus lots of tads. (We also have salamanders or newts, and spotted a
snake last week, but he's been hiding since then.)

Haven't seen much of our fish at all, but our cat likes to drink from the
pond, so that might be making them hide.

Plus our water is very murky green, so we can;t see much at all.

I also added a underwater light (front chicago tools), and rewired my
electric out there, so the pong pump runs 24/7, and the outdoor lights
around it come on at night.. might cost a little more in electric, but we
might see less green water with my oxy in the pond.

We're considering adding a waterfall as well, but haven't decided yet on
that.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 21-04-2005, 10:38 PM
~Roy~

Continue on improvinmg ,my water as much as possible and may fool
around with a few 55 gal drums made into filters , settlement
chambers, perhaps a trickle tower etc, and see if I can get the water
looking better than it already is.....I just installed a new 1" water
line to the pond area and garden, and also ran a new #4 220 VAC
underground electric service so its just wanting more pumps hooked up
to it, and I have pump on the way, as well as a nice Haywood that
came from a pool which will work good with lots of head pressure
....Probably try and increase depth another foot, if my current
spillway and overflow hold up, then I'll add another 1 foot to water
level and make it so there is only about an 8 inch bank at the highest
point, and it will extend it surface wise a pretty fair distance,
which will make my shallow section approx 2 feet deep minimum. All it
takes is clay, dirt bentonite and time. I have a slight seep right now
and hopefully the bentonite will soon kick in and stop it, but its no
a big deal, but sometimes it can take a couple of days for bentonite
to do its thing.

If I do raise the level I have a heap of plants thats gonna need
relocating as well, so one thing leads to another and it never
ends....

Old 21-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the continuing
attacks so thought I'd create a new topic.

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?
A new plant, make a veggie filter, build a bog,
try a different kind of fish, add a turtle, repel
invaders, or build a new pond or container water
garden?

=========================
I just bought a mini Umbrella plant (Cyperus) and a colorful chameleon
plant (Houttuynia) for my small 150 gallon pond. The little waterfall is
also new for this year. The rosy reds love it and hang out at the bottom,
in the turbulence. This little pond is a real show piece.

McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 21-04-2005, 10:57 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?
kathy

I can tell you what I've done so far. Removed the pot at the top of the
waterfall. Originally it was a fake flower pot filter my son had made.

Having no idea back then that it wouldn't even begin to filter a pond our
size once the fish grew. The next year (1997) the guys put in the barrel
filter, but plumb it into the back of the fake flower pot. (I wasn't home
at the time to prevent this.) This year we finally removed it at the same
time that son added a spigot into the output pipe so I can do water change
outs using the pond pump, rather than having to put an extra pump into the
pond. Now it is snap on hose, open spigot and turn on refill water, run for
20-30 minutes.

Another change was selling my biggest and oldest fish, pond looks empty
without her, but all those babies have room to grow now. I still have a big
black one for the new owners to come pick up too. Then I can concentrate on
removing some of the plain colored babies (if I can catch them) and looking
for a black butterfly koi. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-04-2005, 02:15 AM
C+J Tondreau

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the continuing
attacks so thought I'd create a new topic.

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?
A new plant, make a veggie filter, build a bog,
try a different kind of fish, add a turtle, repel
invaders, or build a new pond or container water
garden?

kathy
www.blogfromthebog.com

We are actually filling in our current pond, redesigning our whole back yard
to acccomodate adult & kid stuff and will be putting in a smaller pond. Not
sure what the final plans are yet, but it's exciting designing/dreaming it
all!

Jacqui

Old 22-04-2005, 02:56 AM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?
kathy

I can tell you what I've done so far. Removed the pot at the top of the
waterfall. Originally it was a fake flower pot filter my son had made.

Having no idea back then that it wouldn't even begin to filter a pond our
size once the fish grew. The next year (1997) the guys put in the barrel
filter, but plumb it into the back of the fake flower pot. (I wasn't home
at the time to prevent this.) This year we finally removed it at the same
time that son added a spigot into the output pipe so I can do water change
outs using the pond pump, rather than having to put an extra pump into the
pond. Now it is snap on hose, open spigot and turn on refill water, run
for
20-30 minutes.

Jan,

I'd like to hear more about your Flower Pot filter. I have one of the Cyprio
Bioforce things now and it's pain to clean twice a week. So I was
considering the Flower Pot thing or the half barrel filter. My pond is about
500 gallons max. Would the FP be big enough for this size pond?

Any tips.

Old 22-04-2005, 03:21 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Jim is just finishing replacing our kiddie pools with a 10' x 4' edpm
lined pond. The weight of the rocks on the sides of the kiddie pools
folded and cracked them. Bummer.

Jim is using toilet fittings to handle the drains.

Phyllis

Old 22-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Ann in Houston

pics, pics, pics, please. And, good to see you still around.

Old 22-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Ann in Houston

I have converted the big front pond into a planted one with bf koi and
gf only. I already have a new Arc en Ciel and I put in irises, some
callas and some horsetail. I also got a free mystery plant that I have
seen in pond books, but I don't know the name. Watch for a thread with
a link to a pic. I have to take it, and then figure out how to link to
it Photobucket.
The bfkoi are only in there with the gf, because the new koi pond
turned out to be too small for such big fish. Those two are the
biggest ones we have and it was just too many fish inches. I now also
have to keep on walking when I see pretty fishies w/short fins.
Out of the pond, we will be revamping our flower beds, and I am having
fun planning that new design. Also, DH is actually thinking of
fertilizing the grass. Since mowing season around here starts in early
March and goes up until October, we have never wanted to fertilize it
until we could get an extra day added to the week. But, of course,
weeds grow just as fast as grass and maybe even faster. The hope is
that if we can encourage the St. A. to overtake the weeds, the same
amount of effort will yield nicer results.

Old 22-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

kathy wrote:
Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the continuing
attacks so thought I'd create a new topic.

What are you going to try new in the pond this
year?

Dig a new pond. About one-third the size of the present one, and in the
shade -- finding good shade plants should be a fun challenge.

-- Kizhe

Old 22-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Reel McKoi

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
oups.com...
pics, pics, pics, please. And, good to see you still around.

I'm not sure where to upload them to. Know of any easy to use FREE sites?
:-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...