Old 08-08-2004, 12:13 AM
escapee

Default Large animal turds in yard?

I took a walk around today in the back gardens which are not tamed at all. I
found several mounds of turds about the size of a cat, but a bit larger. Aside
from a cat, what else could that be? Do skunks live in brush piles? How big
are armadillo turds? I'm stumped. In one of the piles, there were a bunch of
berry seeds in the turds.

Old 08-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Katra

In article ,
escapee wrote:

I took a walk around today in the back gardens which are not tamed at all. I
found several mounds of turds about the size of a cat, but a bit larger.
Aside
from a cat, what else could that be? Do skunks live in brush piles? How big
are armadillo turds? I'm stumped. In one of the piles, there were a bunch
of
berry seeds in the turds.

Berry seeds? Probably racoon.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 08-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Scruffy Dog

I'm thinking it is probably Raccoon poop.

Alan

Old 08-08-2004, 04:08 AM
cledus

escapee wrote:
I took a walk around today in the back gardens which are not tamed at all. I
found several mounds of turds about the size of a cat, but a bit larger. Aside
from a cat, what else could that be? Do skunks live in brush piles? How big
are armadillo turds? I'm stumped. In one of the piles, there were a bunch of
berry seeds in the turds.

We experience the same thing. i am pretty sure it is possum. We have a
possum that lurks about our house. I find these strewn about on a
section of the roof and below one of our oak trees.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:28 AM
J Kolenovsky

Bigfoot?

escapee wrote:
=

I took a walk around today in the back gardens which are not tamed at a=

ll. I
found several mounds of turds about the size of a cat, but a bit larger=

=2E Aside
from a cat, what else could that be? Do skunks live in brush piles? H=

ow big
are armadillo turds? I'm stumped. In one of the piles, there were a b=

unch of
berry seeds in the turds.
=

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a frien=

d?

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 08-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Robbin

I vote for possum also. I have had them live and reproduce in (under) an old
brush pile (central Austin). I didn't realize there was as much room inside
that pile as there was until they decided that my rat bait (in a shed)would
be a good food source. I was in total denial as to how the rats could be
eating so much bait (but I kept replenishing the supply). Then over a few
days, I had not only a dead parent, but two (dead) offspring which were
almost full grown!

Old 08-08-2004, 03:14 PM
escapee

Oh how desperately sad that is. I don't poison anything. They have every right
to be here.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:29:26 -0500, "Robbin" opined:

I vote for possum also. I have had them live and reproduce in (under) an old
brush pile (central Austin). I didn't realize there was as much room inside
that pile as there was until they decided that my rat bait (in a shed)would
be a good food source. I was in total denial as to how the rats could be
eating so much bait (but I kept replenishing the supply). Then over a few
days, I had not only a dead parent, but two (dead) offspring which were
almost full grown!

"cledus" wrote in message
m...

Old 08-08-2004, 03:18 PM
escapee

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:25:00 -0500, Katra opined:

Berry seeds? Probably racoon.

K.

Yes, this seems to be the consensus, along with the possibility of possum. I
think the size of the turds is more from a larger animal, but either is okay. I
wonder how they can get in here. I have everything pretty well blocked off. Do
these animals make any type of sounds?

I am going to be converting quite a bit of the back garden into vegetable garden
for the spring. I'm wondering now if I should plant some food these animals
like and fence in the garden where I will be eating from. I'm a vegetarian and
I no longer trust the vegetables I buy at the grocery store. We do have a
Farmer's Market here in Round Rock, but I keep forgetting about it. I wish they
would bring a Whole Foods up here.

Thanks, everyone. I'll stay up one night and see what comes of it.

Victoria

Old 08-08-2004, 03:32 PM
cat daddy

"escapee" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:25:00 -0500, Katra

opined:

Berry seeds? Probably racoon.

K.

Yes, this seems to be the consensus, along with the possibility of possum.

think the size of the turds is more from a larger animal, but either is

okay. I
wonder how they can get in here. I have everything pretty well blocked

off. Do
these animals make any type of sounds?

Both can climb over just about everything. Raccoons when they're
squabbling make quite a racket, sort of a mammalian version of grackles with
brawling cats thrown in........ Possums might hiss when cornered.
Both will like just about everything you plant, for yourself and for
them.

Old 08-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Cindy

escapee wrote:
I took a walk around today in the back gardens which are not tamed at
all. I found several mounds of turds about the size of a cat, but a
bit larger. Aside from a cat, what else could that be? Do skunks
live in brush piles? How big are armadillo turds? I'm stumped. In
one of the piles, there were a bunch of berry seeds in the turds.

If we were in Montana, I'd tell you you have a grizzly bear, but I guess you
don't have to worry about that here. My mother just sent me photos of two
large bears crossing the prairie on our upper ranch near the rockies.

Cindy

Old 08-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Katra

In article ,
escapee wrote:

Not if they are killing your poultry. :-P

I do poison rats but the possums can't get to the bait as I use bar bait
inside of suet cages and they are well covered. I use cinder blocks to
build rat bait stations. I don't like using poison and take every
precaution to make sure only the rats get it.

My border collie kills the possums......

Can't stop her from doing what comes naturally to her.

K.

Oh how desperately sad that is. I don't poison anything. They have every
right
to be here.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:29:26 -0500, "Robbin" opined:

I vote for possum also. I have had them live and reproduce in (under) an old
brush pile (central Austin). I didn't realize there was as much room inside
that pile as there was until they decided that my rat bait (in a shed)would
be a good food source. I was in total denial as to how the rats could be
eating so much bait (but I kept replenishing the supply). Then over a few
days, I had not only a dead parent, but two (dead) offspring which were
almost full grown!

"cledus" wrote in message
m...

Old 08-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Katra

In article ,
escapee wrote:

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:25:00 -0500, Katra
opined:

Berry seeds? Probably racoon.

K.

Yes, this seems to be the consensus, along with the possibility of possum. I
think the size of the turds is more from a larger animal, but either is okay.
wonder how they can get in here. I have everything pretty well blocked off.
Do
these animals make any type of sounds?

Possums might hiss at you if you corner them. Other than that, they are
silent. Racoons will make a "churring" sound if they are bothered. Best
bet is to go out around midnight with a flashlight.

I am going to be converting quite a bit of the back garden into vegetable
garden
for the spring. I'm wondering now if I should plant some food these animals
like and fence in the garden where I will be eating from. I'm a vegetarian
and
I no longer trust the vegetables I buy at the grocery store. We do have a
Farmer's Market here in Round Rock, but I keep forgetting about it. I wish
they
would bring a Whole Foods up here.

Racoons adore wild persimmon, and that is an excellent xeriscaping
plant. Racoons also love fresh corn, and chickens or ducks if you have
poultry. :-P

They will also happily devour dry dog food. So will possums.

Thanks, everyone. I'll stay up one night and see what comes of it.

Victoria

Put out some DE and look for paw prints. :-)
DE is harmless to the environment. It only kills bugs.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Robbin

You would be really surprised what small things the city possums can get
into -- they are just an overgrown rat, but seem to be able to get through
very small openings.

I think we should just start live trapping them and releasing them at
Victoria's place. She say's that they have a right to live there!
Personally, I don't give varmits such as rats and possums many rights when
it concerns living in my buildings!

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
escapee wrote:

[...]

"cledus" wrote in message
m...

Old 09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
escapee

They aren't in my buildings, they are in the areas I provide for them in my
certified wildlife habitat.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:38:13 -0500, "Robbin" opined:

You would be really surprised what small things the city possums can get
into -- they are just an overgrown rat, but seem to be able to get through
very small openings.

I think we should just start live trapping them and releasing them at
Victoria's place. She say's that they have a right to live there!
Personally, I don't give varmits such as rats and possums many rights when
it concerns living in my buildings!

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
escapee wrote:

[...]

"cledus" wrote in message
m...

Old 15-10-2004, 06:42 AM
Gae Xavier

escapee wrote:

I took a walk around today in the back gardens which are not tamed at all. I
found several mounds of turds about the size of a cat, but a bit larger. Aside
from a cat, what else could that be? Do skunks live in brush piles? How big
are armadillo turds? I'm stumped. In one of the piles, there were a bunch of
berry seeds in the turds.

This sounds like elephant dung... usually found in Kenya... or... your
husband didn't make it back to the house in time.